Food & Drink The Hangar Food Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember walking through Bangkok a long time ago and they had fried crickets and other insects (hotkorma) and was not game enough to try them. I know Korma is actually looking at farming them...

I had a fried prawn head offered to me at a Teppanyaki place
That's how I had it too. It was a Teppanyaki place in the resort we were staying in Kota Kinabalu. It was my birthday. They made a cake and sang happy birthday and there was a guy with a ukelele accompanying. It's all coming back now. I almost killed wifey because I thought she'd set it up but turned out they just read my passport. :think:

Anyway I said it was deep fried but it couldn't have been if it was Teppanyaki style. I wonder if I have any pics..
I'd do snails again in a flash. Had escargo (spelling) in a garlic, white wine and butter sauce and it was fantastic. It was so good I forgot about it as a strange food when I posted above.
The ones I had at The Loose Box (great name for a restaraunt :drunk:) were a little rubbery. I think I'd rather just have some beautifully cooked calamari thanks.

Over the last few months I've done some travelling and whilst doing this I have pushed myself and eaten some things that I would never usually eat such as haggis, black pudding, sisig (a combination of pork, chicken liver and brains), horse-penis clam, sardines, ox tongue, goat and various other bits and pieces of indecipherable meats.

I was sitting back discussing this with my Phillipino mate who described a couple of things that he had not managed to get me to try. One of which was an egg with a partially developed embryo which he and others described as a delicacy, jumping shrimp salad and a beef intestine dish where the juice of the grass in the intestines is squeezed out into the mix for flavour! It got me thinking about just how different some of these cultures are when it comes to food.

What is the weirdest thing you have eaten?

Ate donkey meat and donkey skin in China. We were assured that the donkey skin is good for our skin.

Have also eaten Oryx, Zebra and bull’s testicles in Africa. I’d steer clear of these TBH.

Weirdest thing I've eaten?

Probably any of crocodile, emu, horse or guanaco. The latter two were in Chile and Argentina. The guanaco was incredible; the horse less so. I felt bad about eating the horse.

Weirdest thing I've eaten?

Probably any of crocodile, emu, horse or guanaco. The latter two were in Chile and Argentina. The guanaco was incredible; the horse less so. I felt bad about eating the horse.
had to look up a guanaco.

you absolute monster- look at it!

41F9F717-0BF6-40F2-8AF0-4BBE4ED16CCF.jpeg

They only kill the farmed ones as far as I know. Hunting of them is illegal, in Chile and Argentina anyway. Not sure about Peru and Bolivia.

But yeah...I know.

It was slow cooked on the asado for about eight hours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Before tonight I had never cooked potato wedges. With the rest of Clan Pweter at Adelaide Oval I was having a schnitzel for dinner but what to have with? For some reason I thought wedges.

2 spuds (6 wedges per spud)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground sweet paprika
1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
Enough olive oil to form a loose paste

Mix spices with oil to form the loose paste (2 - 3 tablespoons)
Toss wedges in paste
Place on oven tray, sprinkle with salt and bake for ~45 minutes @ 200 degrees

Now I just plonked this alongside a chicken schnitzel and beans with some gravy but I'd gladly top with sour cream and spring onions, coriander or other such stuff and serve with almost anything.

Kicking myself for never cooking wedges sooner, now to find a kid friendly spice mix to coat them with as mine don't like heat yet.

If you make your own wedges, how do you do them? Tonight was something of an epiphany for me.

Before tonight I had never cooked potato wedges. With the rest of Clan Pweter at Adelaide Oval I was having a schnitzel for dinner but what to have with? For some reason I thought wedges.

2 spuds (6 wedges per spud)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground sweet paprika
1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
Enough olive oil to form a loose paste

Mix spices with oil to form the loose paste (2 - 3 tablespoons)
Toss wedges in paste
Place on oven tray, sprinkle with salt and bake for ~45 minutes @ 200 degrees

Now I just plonked this alongside a chicken schnitzel and beans with some gravy but I'd gladly top with sour cream and spring onions, coriander or other such stuff and serve with almost anything.

Kicking myself for never cooking wedges sooner, now to find a kid friendly spice mix to coat them with as mine don't like heat yet.

If you make your own wedges, how do you do them? Tonight was something of an epiphany for me.
That's pretty much how I do roast vegies now in the air fryer except my spice mix is mixed herbs, garlic powder, onion powder and smoked paprika. Bucket of roast vegies in 20 minutes.

He probably shared it because his Aussie cafe in NYC is mentioned like once near the bottom of the article. The bulk of it interesting though... apparently smashed avo toast and folded eggs are an Aussie specialty worthy of international export?
Thanks, Lore. I've just sent this to my daughter (currently in London) but about to head to NY. No doubt avo toast assists with homesickness, if not mortgages.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back