Music The Hangar Music Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back to oos muse spliced with daft Punk

I kind of checked out of Muse a few albums ago (Will still always love everything up to and including Black Holes and Revelations) but I do dig that they continue to do different things and not really gaf rather then just staying stuck doing the same s**t over and over. That song is pretty catchy and got a nice groove tho.

30. One Step Closer - Linkin Park
29. That Golden Rule - Biffy Clyro
28. Megalomaniac - Incubus
27. Selling The Drama - Live
26. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
25. Bow River - Cold Chisel
24. Sick Sad Little World - Incubus
23. Black Hole Sun - Soundgarden
22. Living Is A Problem - Biffy Clyro
21. Bullet With Butterfly Wings - Smashing Pumpkins

when I was a young'un, just finding my music tastes I got my hands on one of those promo mix tapes that came with magazines - it was named next big things or something similar - this one had front end loader on it for memory, some other stuff I cant recall but there was one song that really resonated with me by a new band from Brisbane called powderfinger, song was reap what you sow

Its just bursting with ideas - maybe too many ideas to cram into one song to make a hit - but you can assume they learned from it and simplified which made them what they became.

There is a huge whiff of blind melon about them, even a bit of early pearl jam but they just reeked of a band heading for bigger things.

I bought the EP the next day (the promo succeeded!) then saw they were opening the mainstage at the BDO that year, I stood there at 12 noon with about 8 others and watched their set, it felt like they actually appreciated we were even watching

in the following year they released double allergic, exploded and they nearly headlined the mainstage infront of thousands! what a difference a year makes.

I followed them through the next few albums but my music taste kind of diverged from theirs and we went out separate ways but I just happened to stumble on a mix of theirs on you tube last night and lost about 3 hours - jeez they churned out some hits over the years! Probably gone into aussie folk lore

you know sometimes you might have a thought about something but have no way of actually succincting it because you don't understand the concept enough?

I always used to listen to Mr Bungle and think, you know what, these guys are purposely f**king with me, they know where you expect a song to go, then do the opposite, not even in a chorus verse chorus level, but even note to note, you expect it to go bing bong bang.. it goes bing bong, bungggg and challenges your ear constantly, keeps you on edge. (sorry noob analysis)

...and it seems to be very prevalent in eastern influenced music also, that off kilter note that kind of sounds off to our ear...

anyhow I was reading a little explanation of what makes a band like system of a down so unique, it came down to the fact they are Armenian and use a lot of traditional eastern music techniques.. essentially, all western metal bands follow a certain formula - then these guys came along and just blew it all away..

But to the point, when this guy was explaining it all, he said the Phrygian Dominant scale is common in eastern music but not in the west, it provides an augmented note or off kilter sound in the progression of a beat..

Its not considered a stable chord progression in western music because it needs to resolve, its needs to have that pleasing flow to the ear that we are used to. But in eastern music its as stable as any other type of progression.

GUMBLETRON I reckon this is interesting.. from a socio political view, To the west ,traditional eastern music sounds inherently tense, dangerous or unstable...like theres something not quite right about it.. its not trust worthy, it dosent resolve

All labels (tense, dangerous, unstable) that are used against people from those countries in a political sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I kind of checked out of Muse a few albums ago (Will still always love everything up to and including Black Holes and Revelations) but I do dig that they continue to do different things and not really gaf rather then just staying stuck doing the same s**t over and over. That song is pretty catchy and got a nice groove tho.
I'm the same as you, Origins will always have a special place in my playlist heart. I think they really died when my 65yr old Auntie came to me one day and asked if I had heard of this new band called Amuse. She was talking about Uprising off their 5th? album.

I knew then it was time to move on as they aren't playing for me any more.

I'm the same as you, Origins will always have a special place in my playlist heart. I think they really died when my 65yr old Auntie came to me one day and asked if I had heard of this new band called Amuse. She was talking about Uprising off their 5th? album.

I knew then it was time to move on as they aren't playing for me any more.

haha, it's totally an Auntie thing. Same thing happened to me!

I've probably missed some decent music as a result but I hated Muse from the very start because I thought they were a Radiohead rip off. I really find it hard to listen to Radiohead now too except for some things off The Bends occasionally. I read some thing about Muse too that they apparently had extra musicians under the stage at their live gigs at one time or another? Not sure if true but pretty crappy if so.

It’s never to late to listen to the Cocteau Twins.

I've probably missed some decent music as a result but I hated Muse from the very start because I thought they were a Radiohead rip off. I really find it hard to listen to Radiohead now too except for some things off The Bends occasionally. I read some thing about Muse too that they apparently had extra musicians under the stage at their live gigs at one time or another? Not sure if true but pretty crappy if so.

was hard to believe they were a three piece all that time pumping out all that music..

I saw them live the Hi-Fi bar, not much room for an orchestra under the stage there, I'll back Bellamy in. The guy is a freak musician

One doesn't necessarily exclude the other. He's still only got two hands just like the other guys.
Fair point, he does have the special ability to somehow swing his hips and his guitar flings around to the back and he'll be on the keyboard without a blink.

Haven't seen them live for close to 10 years so maybe it did get too much and he has a bunch of dudes below, from memory they had a 4th random up on stage doing stuff at the last gig I went to.

Fair point, he does have the special ability to somehow swing his hips and his guitar flings around to the back and he'll be on the keyboard without a blink.

Haven't seen them live for close to 10 years so maybe it did get too much and he has a bunch of dudes below, from memory they had a 4th random up on stage doing stuff at the last gig I went to.
I saw them on Jools Holland a few years ago (and even then it was probably a few years older) and I think I saw him do that move. Also noticed he was playing a 7 string which while not that unusual these days I thought was mostly employed by much more heavier bands. Certainly not trying to hang s**t on them but when I read about the extra musicians under the stage thing I thought how could a big band like that maintain credibility if that was true? I mean, if the music is so complex you need extra musicians to reproduce it live why try to hide the fact? Plenty of bands have extra musicians for live stuff. Doesn't mean the recorded stuff wasn't recorded by just the three of them.

I saw them live the Hi-Fi bar, not much room for an orchestra under the stage there, I'll back Bellamy in. The guy is a freak musician
that was one HELL of a gig. definitely when they peaked. the only help they were getting back in 2004 was a sequencer playing keyboard loops. aside from that, all live.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back