Food & Drink The Hangar Wine Thread! (posts moved from various locations)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 7, 2005
Down the rabbit hole
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fatebringer
I'm a red man myself, a passionate red man. Good red wine is the best thing in the world.

Which made my little moment of win yesterday all the sweeter. In the office early and a courier rocks in, and asks me if I know a guy called Peter. I think he's the guy in the office around the corner, and tell him that. But, the office is closed, and the courier is looking a bit down in the mouth. So, being the good guy I am, I offer to sign for it and give it to him when he gets in. The couriers face lights up and he gets on with his day.

Couple of hours later I remember and head up to the office with the package. The guy is there and I explain what had happened and he thanks me, then looks at the package and his face falls. "Wine" he moans. "I don't even drink and my clients always send me wine for Xmas". I look at him sideways. "I drink wine", I say, "I love it, it's my weakness". So he shrugs and says "You want it?". Ah, let me think about that, a free bottle of wine? "Sure, I'll take it off your hands, cheers" and off I go.

Get back, open it up, start sfellowing, as it's a bottle of Penfolds Bin 389, the "baby Grange" as it's known. ******* score.

I'm a red man myself, a passionate red man. Good red wine is the best thing in the world.

Which made my little moment of win yesterday all the sweeter. In the office early and a courier rocks in, and asks me if I know a guy called Peter. I think he's the guy in the office around the corner, and tell him that. But, the office is closed, and the courier is looking a bit down in the mouth. So, being the good guy I am, I offer to sign for it and give it to him when he gets in. The couriers face lights up and he gets on with his day.

Couple of hours later I remember and head up to the office with the package. The guy is there and I explain what had happened and he thanks me, then looks at the package and his face falls. "Wine" he moans. "I don't even drink and my clients always send me wine for Xmas". I look at him sideways. "I drink wine", I say, "I love it, it's my weakness". So he shrugs and says "You want it?". Ah, let me think about that, a free bottle of wine? "Sure, I'll take it off your hands, cheers" and off I go.

Get back, open it up, start sfellowing, as it's a bottle of Penfolds Bin 389, the "baby Grange" as it's known. ******* score.
389 is ******* amazing.

Consider me jelly.

Not a wine drinker, parents are though.

One of their friends is a very big red wine person, name something you're going to eat he'll reel off a list of wines that would suit,, has a few wine barrels where he has his own wine that he slowly develops - takes out a few bottles each year and refils the barrels.

Anyway, thought a group of friends, including my parents an interesting trick, had 3 wine glasses, small, medium and large glasses. Asked the group to test the wines, see which one they liked best, everyone came back with what ever was in the large glass. Only to be told they were all the same red. He explained it but essentially had to do with the oxidation of wine - surface area exposed to air. I think most in thr group thought they were different wines.

I used to only drink red but it's a bit rough trying to drink it during a Perth Summer. We gradually conditioned ourselves by moving to rosè then to whites. Don't mind a good sb or ssb now.
I love a big red in the heat. I know most don't but I do. Start off with a six pack of a nice crisp ale, then move on to the red and slurp it all night.

This is going to sound ridiculous, and you are going to sneer at me. I can scarcely believe I'm about to say this myself, as I've been so scornful myself in the past. But last Xmas I had, and enjoyed ffs, a bottle of sparkling red. I know right! Crazy talk! What am I? Some middle aged hippie bogan living in the 70s??? But yeah, apparently a good quality sparkling red is actually good. Refreshing, with a depth of palate.

I too used to be a red only person, then somewhere along the line I found myself enjoying a white just as much as a red.

Still can't stomach a champagne though, no matter the quality or how often I have tried.

Not a wine drinker, parents are though.

One of their friends is a very big red wine person, name something you're going to eat he'll reel off a list of wines that would suit,, has a few wine barrels where he has his own wine that he slowly develops - takes out a few bottles each year and refils the barrels.

Anyway, thought a group of friends, including my parents an interesting trick, had 3 wine glasses, small, medium and large glasses. Asked the group to test the wines, see which one they liked best, everyone came back with what ever was in the large glass. Only to be told they were all the same red. He explained it but essentially had to do with the oxidation of wine - surface area exposed to air. I think most in thr group thought they were different wines.
not surprised in the slightest.

People can't tell for s**t generally. They reckon people waste money because most people like cheap wine as much or more than exxy wine. Well, that may be the case but then I'm a total wine snob because I know what is good and what isn't.

Most people honestly can't pick it up if they are served white wine with red food dye. Unreal. I swear I got served that once, I was looking at my glass just wtf'ing all over the place

I drank so much of that stuff when I worked for Treasury and the staff discount was 50% or something ridiculous like that.

I love a big red in the heat. I know most don't but I do. Start off with a six pack of a nice crisp ale, then move on to the red and slurp it all night.

This is going to sound ridiculous, and you are going to sneer at me. I can scarcely believe I'm about to say this myself, as I've been so scornful myself in the past. But last Xmas I had, and enjoyed ffs, a bottle of sparkling red. I know right! Crazy talk! What am I? Some middle aged hippie bogan living in the 70s??? But yeah, apparently a good quality sparkling red is actually good. Refreshing, with a depth of palate.
I was actually given a good bottle of sparkling red a couple of months ago. It was okay but I couldn't totally divorce it from my memories of Lambrusco. Still seems wrong.

I too used to be a red only person, then somewhere along the line I found myself enjoying a white just as much as a red.

Still can't stomach a champagne though, no matter the quality or how often I have tried.
nah I love a good champagne. Holy s**t, I took my wife for a $1000 dinner at Vue after the birth of our first son as a thank-you, cos she loves oozy cheese and good food and wine; and one of the wines we had was a seriously good Moet & Chandon. Mind blowing. Even a good $100 bottle is outstanding.

And I like white too. A lot. But I just love red too much to ever drink it that much.

I used to just focus on "big reds", but over the last few years I've really enjoyed how good a pinot can be, they aren't all just weak piss, you can get really intense flavour palettes too, if you get a good one

Most people honestly can't pick it up if they are served white wine with red food dye. Unreal. I swear I got served that once, I was looking at my glass just wtf'ing all over the place

This is quite common and applies to a lot of other flavours as well. Try picking the correct flavour of say orange essence when it has been dyed purple or something, very few people can get it right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was actually given a good bottle of sparkling red a couple of months ago. It was okay but I couldn't totally divorce it from my memories of Lambrusco. Still seems wrong.
yeah it feels wrong. No doubt. But I was just so surprised, it was kind of mind-blowing, like a Blumenthal dish that is liver parfait that looks like fruit that we had at Fat Duck: intense and rich red flavour with bizarre soft drink bubbles. Whoah

yeah it feels wrong. No doubt. But I was just so surprised, it was kind of mind-blowing, like a Blumenthal dish that is liver parfait that looks like fruit that we had at Fat Duck: intense and rich red flavour with bizarre soft drink bubbles. Whoah
You've been to The Fat Duck? Okay now I'm jealous.

This was the sparkling btw.

main_variation_na_view_01_204x400.jpg

I was told it was good but I have no idea really.

A really nice sparkling red is a very special wine. Something like Seppelt Show Sparkling Shiraz. They have to come from the perfect climate because if it is too warm it ends up with too much alcohol in the finished product and the interaction between that and the bubbles tastes bad. One of the most difficult wines to make well because the carbonation leaves very little margin for error.

Sparkling shiraz is hands down the perfect breakfast wine too.

not surprised in the slightest.

People can't tell for s**t generally. They reckon people waste money because most people like cheap wine as much or more than exxy wine. Well, that may be the case but then I'm a total wine snob because I know what is good and what isn't.

Parents friend can find a good wine on a budget, have to know what you're looking for, he'll know years and regions not to buy drought effected or frost and so on. Even if a good label he stays away, unless he knows that particular wine was good.

Even one of the other tricks he had was people overfilling glasses (simular to the principal from above) they should only be filled to the widest point in a glass same kinda deal had people test a wine, and many thought there was a different taste to a wine depending how full the glass was. Came down to oxidization and smell of the wine again because of the surface area.

Interesting from a POV people complain they they only got half a glass of wine (or BYO only half filling the glass)

Great learning experience listening to all these kinds of variation that can effect a wine.

Parents friend can find a good wine on a budget, have to know what you're looking for, he'll know years and regions not to buy drought effected or frost and so on. Even if a good label he stays away, unless he knows that particular wine was good.

I've got finding good wines in the Dan Murphy's bargain bin down to a fine art. The trick is to find wines from regions that don't have very large commercial vineyards, that means the wine is probably something decent that is in the bin because there was half a box left on the pallet or something and not because it's a s**t wine no one want to buy.

Mornington Peninsula, Yarra Valley, Clare Valley and Tasmania are usually good from the bargain bin. Be careful of 'South Eastern Australia' (can be anywhere other than WA and QLD but usually means the cheap vineyards in the Murray-Darling basin), the Barossa (a lot of s**t wine comes from there despite it's reputation), Coonawarra/Padthaway/Wrattonbully/Limestone Coast (high yielding vineyards that can suffer in cool years).

snob

what would you recommend with fava beans?

what would you recommend with fava beans?
A nice Chianti ;)

I learned something kinda cool about that line a while back, apparently there is a chemical in liver, fava beans and red wine that interacts badly with anti-psychotic drugs so it was a veiled hint that he hadn't been taking his meds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back