The Heavy Metal Law!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Not metal, but related, and influential.
RIP to the GREAT MAN.
If I had to name a favourite musician in history, it would be him.
View attachment 804592

One hell of a good drummer! Rush are not my thing at all, but Peart was such an influential player you couldn’t ignore what he did as I grew up. He was so much more than just a drummer as well.
There’s an amazing documentary on Rush, Beyond the Lighted Stage, which tells his incredible (and very sad) story. You don’t need to be a fan to enjoy it, and you’ll get a great appreciation for what Neil Peart achieved.

Anyone interested in the story of Mayhem and the rise of Norwegian Black Metal should check out “Lords of Chaos” starring Rory Culkin. Very dark and at times gory, but a very interesting story and the music scenes were done exceptionally well for a feature film, probably because the director was the drummer in Bathory.

I’m not a huge black metal fan but it’s a really fascinating story and well worth a look. I rented it on YouTube or Google Play for a few bucks and it was great value.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Big thanks to the pro
Others of FNM selecting Rod Laver on May the 16th.....the same night that hundreds of people had booked for Helmet at the Croxton.
Yeah that's annoying. I'm only going to FNM because one of my mates organised it.

DT my wife made me organise :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just adding to the doom/drone/stoner/sabbath worship vibe:

Sleep (try Holy Mountain)
Earth
Candlemass (mirror mirror upon the wall!)
Solitude Aeternus (tbh they aren’t that interesting musically but the vocals are incredible. The covers of Heaven and Hell and Hallowed Be Thy Name are 🤟🏻)

I always knew Hawthorn people were the coolest. I'm massively into stoner rock (play in a local band) - off to see Uncle Acid the deadbeats tonight (who are a killer band).

My musical tastes really peaks with late 60s/early 70s stuff (Stooges, MC5, Sabbath, Alice Cooper, Blue Oyster Cult), 70s punk era bands (Ramones, Dictators, Motorhead) and stoner stuff (Monster Magnet, Electric Wizard, Dead Meadow, Ghost, Uncle Acid) but I love Slayer, Metallica, DRI, Suicidal Tendencies et al as well.

I don't if some of that stuff is metal per se but a lot of it was in Chuck Eddy's book Stairway to Hell: the top 500 metal albums of all time (which admittedly included Neil Young, Funkadelic, Love, Velvet Underground - bands I love but I'm guessing most people wouldn't classify as metal).

I always knew Hawthorn people were the coolest. I'm massively into stoner rock (play in a local band) - off to see Uncle Acid the deadbeats tonight (who are a killer band).

My musical tastes really peaks with late 60s/early 70s stuff (Stooges, MC5, Sabbath, Alice Cooper, Blue Oyster Cult), 70s punk era bands (Ramones, Dictators, Motorhead) and stoner stuff (Monster Magnet, Electric Wizard, Dead Meadow, Ghost, Uncle Acid) but I love Slayer, Metallica, DRI, Suicidal Tendencies et al as well.

I don't if some of that stuff is metal per se but a lot of it was in Chuck Eddy's book Stairway to Hell: the top 500 metal albums of all time (which admittedly included Neil Young, Funkadelic, Love, Velvet Underground - bands I love but I'm guessing most people wouldn't classify as metal).

Uncle Acid are great, loved their first couple of albums, but haven’t heard much of the latest. Hope you enjoy the show!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Heaps of tours have been canceled, and it seems it will be a long dry spell for bands who rely on shows to make money. At the same time, I find I am spending less money day-to-day becuse I basically can't do anything (I live in Hong Kong, been WFH and semi-isolation for months now).

So I have been trying to give some of my unspent "coffee" money to bands I like or who have had to scrap tours (especially the smaller/less popular artists).

I'm streaming music all day in the background at home while I work, I've upped my purchases of digital music (I'm all digital these days, unless I can't find FLAC files to purchase then I buy the CD and rip it) mainly from BandCamp/HD Tracks/Z Digital/Tidal Store, and also grabbing a few of those band shirts I have been meaning to get.

Anyway, just some ideas on how to keep your fave bands ticking along, for those who are interested and whose current circumstances still allow them to spend the money on such non-essential purchases.

Big thanks to the promoters of FNM selecting Rod Laver on May the 16th.....the same night that hundreds of people had booked for Helmet at the Croxton.
Not such an issue now :'(

If you are a BandCamp user, the site will (again) waive its revenue share on May 1, which will put a little extra directly into artists’ pockets.

Also Spotify is going to introduce a feature that allows artists to fundraise directly on their artist pages on the streaming service (which they should have been doing all along, IMO)

Think I might fill out some of my homegrown metal collection this Friday afternoon for the Bandcamp fee waiver, pick up the Stargazer EPs and grab some Mournful Congregation.

Been listening to a bit of Oz metal lately mainly Alchemist (this was a strange place to start, but Jar of Kingdom was actually the first metal CD I bought), Hyperion (Inundation is close to a perfect album), Armoured Angel, Alarum, Portal

Any other Oz metal recommendations? Weird stuff is fine/welcomed!

Last edited:
The new Green Carnation is pretty good, though I could have lived without the Solitude cover.

The album has the kind of vibe I wish I could get from Katatonia. My mates love them, and all the elements suggest I should too, but they just kinda fall flat for me (apart from Brave Murder Day, which I love).

BandCamp is waiving fees again on June 5, so it's a prime time to pick up some more Oz metal. I swear I'd grown out of BloodDuster (I donated their CDs to a mate years ago) but I gave Fisting the Dead and Str8outtanorthcote a spin last week. I may have to pick them up again ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back