The I hate my job thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon your team leader is lying to you. He told him everything you said otherwise there wouldnt have been the "Bagging" comment.
I could tell the manager they both denied saying I bagged him and see what he does with that.

I could tell the manager they both denied saying I bagged him and see what he does with that.
that will just stir up more drama

‘bagging’ is subjective anyway, might just be his interpretation

lesson learned is nothing good ever comes of speaking out of school - especially to managers about other managers (who are generally trained to prioritise fellow leaders over their direct reports)

‘bagging’ is subjective anyway, might just be his interpretation
That's a good point and makes his claim a lot easier to cop when I look at it from that perspective. Anyway, there's a few openings in another program at my work that I'm gong to apply for. I think I'm over my current role and manager.

I don't hate my job persay

I'm just in the worst rut of my life and have no idea what I want to do.

I would love to go back and do an apprenticeship but at 32 I can't afford to lose so much money to go back and work for 20 dollars an hour.

I would love to go back and do an apprenticeship but at 32 I can't afford to lose so much money to go back and work for 20 dollars an hour.

I promise you that when you’re 42, you’ll look back and see age 32 as being young, and an age to try new things, and you’ll wonder why you had any anxieties about pivoting.

Hey mate, I found myself in a very similar situation a couple of years ago. I was working full time and decided to head to uni and was lucky enough to be able to do a cloud based course while still working the job I didn't exactly like but one that kept the money coming in.

Unsure if you're completely set on an apprenticeship but if there is a course that you could complete while still working full time I would highly recommend going for it. It is a lot of hard work but I'm in my final year now and can definitely see some light at the end of the tunnel in regard to my career.

Similar circumstances, similar age.

Have thought about getting out of the corporate world and doing something I've always been interested in like physiotherapy, but that means 3 years of university as a mature age, no way I could work full time which means it's a significant reduction in income, and if/when I would finish the qualification, would be starting at entry level in that position and years behind my current position.

Hindsight is wonderful, but really wish I did a university degree when I was 18 that took me down that path, rather than my random non-specific Arts degree which was just a great way to drink, party and take massive holidays for 3 years while society accepts you for it lol.

Similar circumstances, similar age.

Have thought about getting out of the corporate world and doing something I've always been interested in like physiotherapy, but that means 3 years of university as a mature age, no way I could work full time which means it's a significant reduction in income, and if/when I would finish the qualification, would be starting at entry level in that position and years behind my current position.

Hindsight is wonderful, but really wish I did a university degree when I was 18 that took me down that path, rather than my random non-specific Arts degree which was just a great way to drink, party and take massive holidays for 3 years while society accepts you for it lol.
I highly recommend if possible to look into what courses are offered online or even out of business hours so that you can work around with your full time work schedule. A lot of courses are now starting to transition at least to hybrid online/campus and you never know what might pop up.

I highly recommend if possible to look into what courses are offered online or even out of business hours so that you can work around with your full time work schedule. A lot of courses are now starting to transition at least to hybrid online/campus and you never know what might pop up.
I've kept an eye out yeh, and will continue to monitor as things develop and change. Right now though all the current options would need me leaving my job/ moving to part time, just couldn't make it work otherwise at the moment.

I've worked 17 years in a trade and the last 7 years I've been studying online and should complete my degree June, was studying part time.
It can be done and it's not hard just requires alot of hours and sacrifice.

Out of interest, can you elaborate on the “sacrifice” part?

(Obviously many hours of studying instead of doing other things, but have you got a level of enjoyment out of the study, so it hasn’t really been that much of a sacrifice?)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out of interest, can you elaborate on the “sacrifice” part?

(Obviously many hours of studying instead of doing other things, but have you got a level of enjoyment out of the study, so it hasn’t really been that much of a sacrifice?)
For the first 3-4 years I use to gym and golf abit.

The last 3 I haven't done anything, I tried to taking up swimming again but failed once a trimester starts with assignments pile up, covid didn't help wrecked my grove mentally. Having a really understanding partner has helped.

Working dayshift and starting at 7am, I struggled to focus past 8pm I would be in bed by 9pm and wake up at 3am from stress of assignments and get up do a couple of hours study then roll back into bed for a 1hr or less nap. Then study another 1-2hrs after work and be done before dinner at 6pm and wouldn't look at the books after dinner unless I had a online class.

Currently I'm working afternoon and it's been a blessing, can use my best energy studying 3-4hrs before I start work and still have time time to relax.

Enjoyment? HAHAHA I didn't mind the learning at the start but I'm over it now. I only have 8 weeks left and done!!!!
I'm doing it for the greater good of hybrid/working from home con that others enjoy and say the same line as them "I'm more productive at home"

One upside, I claimed everything on tax under educational expenses like internet, PC parts, laptops, 3D printer ect which I did need for for units.

Last edited:
For the first 3-4 years I use to gym and golf abit.

The last 3 I haven't done anything, I tried to taking up swimming again but failed once a trimester starts with assignments pile up, covid didn't help wrecked my grove mentally. Having a really understanding partner has helped.

Working dayshift and starting at 7am, I struggled to focus past 8pm I would be in bed by 9pm and wake up at 3am from stress of assignments and get up do a couple of hours study then roll back into bed for a 1hr or less nap. Then study another 1-2hrs after work and be done before dinner at 6pm and wouldn't look at the books after dinner unless I had a online class.

Currently I'm working afternoon and it's been a blessing, can use my best energy studying 3-4hrs before I start work and still have time time to relax.

Enjoyment? HAHAHA I didn't mind the learning at the start but I'm over it now. I only have 8 weeks left and done!!!!
I'm doing it for the greater good of hybrid/working from home con that others enjoy and say the same line as them "I'm more productive at home"

One upside, I claimed everything on tax under educational expenses like internet, PC parts, laptops, 3D printer ect which I did need for for units.
Hard slog. Credit to you. Shame you had to give up all exercise to achieve what you did, but hopefully can pick it up again.

Its def about time management and desire (imo)
Im thinking of going to an arvo work timeslot and doing something online
Work is reasonably flexable so i think it could be done
Its just as you get older and the rutt gets deeper its hard to find the motivation

So I’ve been doing a lot of applications recently as I’m fed up with my job.

I can’t really afford to be unemployed for particularly long, so I want to line something up before I quit.

I’m getting bites but have no idea how to navigate interviews. The place is extremely inflexible - there is virtually no working from home, there is no privacy in the office etc.

I managed to get a rare working from home day on Monday to take an interview, lined up another on my lunch break. But I have two potential ones on Friday, neither at easy times. I had one place agree to interview me at 5:30pm, but it seems most places are surprised to hear me ask for this (probably less common post-Covid).

How did people used to do it?! How many more excuses can I keep coming up with before it gets suspicious??

How did people used to do it?! How many more excuses can I keep coming up with before it gets suspicious??
As a 9-5 office worker, even the strictest places I worked pre-COVID would allow me to occasionally and slightly vary my hours to accommodate appointments or errands. I just tried to do stuff early or late in the day (or over an extended lunch) and made up the hours.

Nobody had a problem with it, as long as it wasn't a constant thing. I think everyone acknowledges that there's some stuff you just can't do outside office hours. The parents were always taking off to go to Sally's Easter hat parade or pick up Johnny from daycare.

When I was interviewing I just had a lot more unspecified 'appointments'. If they'd pushed back I would have just taken the odd sickie or a half day of AL.

So I’ve been doing a lot of applications recently as I’m fed up with my job.

I can’t really afford to be unemployed for particularly long, so I want to line something up before I quit.

I’m getting bites but have no idea how to navigate interviews. The place is extremely inflexible - there is virtually no working from home, there is no privacy in the office etc.

I managed to get a rare working from home day on Monday to take an interview, lined up another on my lunch break. But I have two potential ones on Friday, neither at easy times. I had one place agree to interview me at 5:30pm, but it seems most places are surprised to hear me ask for this (probably less common post-Covid).

Depends what you actually do. Sometimes you may be forced to stack interviews and pull a sickie.

If you have a place where you meet clients, can block out your calendar and pretend you are somewhere else.

If you are going to come up with a excuse and want time, make it a long winded problem ie. Im getting physio on my back every week for the next month. That way you are not making up multiple excuses but just leverage of one.

A good one is, If you have put off something ike going to the doctors, literally go to the doctors, get a check up, get a doctors note, give it to your work and say "took me 2 hours, doctor was busy", then your next excuse is "I got a bug at the doctors office" for interview 2 and you have therefore prolonged your 1 excuse into multiple interviews

Another thing to do like this is go see the dentist. Actually go to the dentist to get a first time certificate but once again, drag it out to be 2 hours and then require follow ups ie. I got a x-ray and they want me back again or something

Other options are

The car
  • Interview 1 - Car broke down
  • I jump started my car so coming in now
  • Interview 2 - Im getting my battery replaced next week ill let you know when. Ill work from home

My kid won a award

• My kid has a assembly I want to see her perform
  • She won a award for her performance. I want to see her get the award

My dog is sick

• My dog is sick im going to the vet
  • I need to take it back for a checkup
  • My dog needs treatment so im taking it for treatment

I can go on all day here :D

Depends what you actually do. Sometimes you may be forced to stack interviews and pull a sickie.

If you have a place where you meet clients, can block out your calendar and pretend you are somewhere else.

If you are going to come up with a excuse and want time, make it a long winded problem ie. Im getting physio on my back every week for the next month. That way you are not making up multiple excuses but just leverage of one.

A good one is, If you have put off something ike going to the doctors, literally go to the doctors, get a check up, get a doctors note, give it to your work and say "took me 2 hours, doctor was busy", then your next excuse is "I got a bug at the doctors office" for interview 2 and you have therefore prolonged your 1 excuse into multiple interviews

Another thing to do like this is go see the dentist. Actually go to the dentist to get a first time certificate but once again, drag it out to be 2 hours and then require follow ups ie. I got a x-ray and they want me back again or something

Other options are

The car
  • Interview 1 - Car broke down
  • I jump started my car so coming in now
  • Interview 2 - Im getting my battery replaced next week ill let you know when. Ill work from home

My kid won a award

• My kid has a assembly I want to see her perform
  • She won a award for her performance. I want to see her get the award

My dog is sick

• My dog is sick im going to the vet
  • I need to take it back for a checkup
  • My dog needs treatment so im taking it for treatment

I can go on all day here :D

My sister suggested the kid thing.

In my next job I need to pretend I have a child. Stick a photo of a kid on my desk and hope somebody doesn't come in and say "Why do you have a picture of my son on my desk?"

I've heard you actually do not have to give a specific excuse any way to your employer. It's either sick, carers, compassionate, etc leave and that's it. It's none of their business as to what the actual detail of it is, is.

Sadly I don't have much in the way of leave entitlements left.

I had three interviews on Thursday so used sick leave when I'd lined them all up.

Unfortunately today the boss quite aggressively told staff he'd been too lenient - either you're working in the office 9 to 5 or you're having the day off (I am by no means the only person trying to get out).

I am getting a fair few interviews, obviously, so am considering just letting myself be unemployed in the (likely) assumption I'll find something quickly. Very concerned about what would happen if it backfires, though, and I'm jobless for a couple of months, which I can't really afford.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back