FTA-TV The Last Kingdom - Netflix

Remove this Banner Ad

Just realised why the show couldn't have Utredd being ruler of Mercia, or even Queen's consort to Aethelflaed. They keep repeating that Utredd won't be written in the history books whereas the main characters with high positions are based on real people.

Season 3 dropping today.

Surprised there isn't a thread on it, really enjoyed the first two.

Slightly different to others of this genre around at the moment like Vikings etc, covering a part of history that isn't covered a lot, the 7 Kingdoms of England before their unification.

Have a look, I rate it.
I read about three of the books while in the UK. The show didn’t do it for me after a few eps. It was pretty much just the books with some reshuffling.

I read about three of the books while in the UK. The show didn’t do it for me after a few eps. It was pretty much just the books with some reshuffling.

So like GOT?

I haven't read The Last Kingdom books, as I'm that deep into the story lines of the show now, that I don't wont to ruin the next few seasons, but I do enjoy this series more than it's competitors.

I felt similar with the GOT series having read the books a decade before the show was released, however there's something a bit magical about a book series you have read and enjoyed being recreated with a decent budget.

It's definitely not perfect, but it's what you want from a Netflix series, easy consumption.

I’m late to this show, finished three seasons and about to start the fourth. Comparisons with GOT are tempting but it has nothing of that show‘s scale or ambition. Still, it’s pretty good, and being a bit of a history nerd I like shows like this- it has me chasing up real historical figures and occurrences the series is based on.

Not a bad gig that for a writer- take interesting historical facts as the bare bones of your story and then completely f#ck around with all the characters and details...because who really knows what exactly went down in 890, right? And there’s plenty to mine- say what you like about the Poms, but their history is incredible.

Have completed watching first two seasons and pretty impressive. Only gripe is Wessex/England is pretty bloody useless without Uhtred, a virtual one man band. Found the Erik/Siegfried thing end of season 2 a little too far fetched.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back