The "Let's not keep Sport Free" Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

XFactor1979

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2008
Lurkville
AFL Club
West Coast
Case in point is for the suffering audience of Western Australia who cannot get the Australian Open SINGLES FINALS (Out of all the times of the tournament) LIVE on Free to Air Television. On the weekend

Channel 7 in Perth has blatantly abused the rights in that part of the world. To put the fear of god into Channel 7 the Federal government should have put the rights of the event up for bidding for pay television as Pay television can provide a Live service
icon_evil.gif

Oh and if they are showing it Live in WA it is not showing it Against the Gate :mad:, not when youre 2000kms away

It's a joke. The anti-siphoning review was a total waste of time.

Regardless, it is such a confusing decision. I can understand why they'd do it on weekdays, but weekends?

FTA have had more than enough chances. No respect at all for live sport, time to move on give it to Foxtel and just let these FTA relics run generic DIY program repeats instead like they want to.

The anti-siphoning list is becoming less and less relevant, meaning FTA stations will spend money on rights if they want it. Seven pay a ton of money so they'll show the Australian Open and the summer of tennis for many years to come. But now no stations want to pay for the other 3 slams. So they are all on Foxtel.

FTA have had more than enough chances. No respect at all for live sport, time to move on give it to Foxtel and just let these FTA relics run generic DIY program repeats instead like they want to.

Top post. :thumbsu:

I will add fuel to the fire of this argument

But shouldnt it be logical that you pay to watch sport regardless?

ie If you want to watch sports events at the venue you cant just march in without a ticket/ not pay to get your ticket to get inside to watch

My argument: Those who watch the game on TV get better camera angles than people who sit at the venue, who sometimes pay more than 50 bucks (that's almost half a day's work) to not get a great view of the action, and sometimes those at the game have to sit through rain, cold or extreme heat. Whereas TV watchers can just kick back and laugh at those fools(!) from the comfort in their own lounge room

I will add fuel to the fire of this argument

But shouldnt it be logical that you pay to watch sport regardless?

ie If you want to watch sports events at the venue you cant just march in without a ticket/ not pay to get your ticket to get inside to watch

My argument: Those who watch the game on TV get better camera angles than people who sit at the venue, who sometimes pay more than 50 bucks (that's almost half a day's work) to not get a great view of the action, and sometimes those at the game have to sit through rain, cold or extreme heat. Whereas TV watchers can just kick back and laugh at those fools(!) from the comfort in their own lounge room

Good point to make, really do feel for you WA guys, im in Adel and have been getting quite annoyed with the 30min delay for all night games. It really is a joke in this day and age. The problem is the government has become involved in somthing that they shouldnt have, tv rights should be avaliable to the highest bidder just like any other free market. It should be up to the indvidual networks to come up with offers that work for them and the viewing public to have the best possible outcome for all. However the FTA stations have been hiding behind government legislation for too long, hence why they are running advertising campaigns to gain support from the un-informed public. It really should be quite simple, if a station wishes to acquire the rights it should be a requirement that the event is broadcast live across australia regardless of weather it interupts today tonight, home and away or even better homes and gardens. If ch 7 want the open they should have had only RLA games (no switching between what they want every 2 seconds) live across aus(no excuses) with the rest of the courts to go to foxtel, who for mine did a good coverage of what they got. If 7 cant deliver on this LIVE requirement it is passed on to the next bidder. Similar to how the afl is atm my only gripe with that is the delayed friday night games (ch 7 the culprit yet again)

maybe we need a petition of our own...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i would love for sport to stay on free to air, but whilst the FTA channels keep abusing sport then they can go **** themselves. channel 7 is definately the worst of the lot. i'm no fan of car racing but what they did to bathurst 1000 this year was an absolute disgrace. story below for those not aware.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...e-actually-ended/story-e6freuy9-1225936875295

the only problem from the sports point of view is that it severely cuts that sports exposure to the general public if they are only shown on paytv.

the only problem from the sports point of view is that it severely cuts that sports exposure to the general public if they are only shown on paytv.

Pros and cons to every argument

But right now that so called "grey area" is becoming more black and white:

Do you want your sport live? OR do you want your sport free?

^ There is no AND in that sentence

EDIT - Sports exposure? Everyone has the Internet in this day and age you dont need the tv station to bring us the earliest possible broadcast anymore! You can stream it online, or listen to an audio stream online instead! Or you can get a score update from Twitter/ Facebook/ www.whateverwebsitecoversthatevent.com

Complaint has been lodged to Free TV Australia, I know that Channel 7 wont listen, or they'd try to put it back on Live as a show of tokenism.

But writing to the authorities is a much effective way to get things done as far as I see it

Pros and cons to every argument

But right now that so called "grey area" is becoming more black and white:

Do you want your sport live? OR do you want your sport free?

^ There is no AND in that sentence

unfortunately this is becoming more and more the case.

the free to air channel's have been treating sport with contemp for a long time and in the day and age where they should be getting forced to up their game, they haven't. they continue to operate in their archiac fashion. channel seven is definately the worst offender.

EDIT - Sports exposure? Everyone has the Internet in this day and age you dont need the tv station to bring us the earliest possible broadcast anymore! You can stream it online, or listen to an audio stream online instead! Or you can get a score update from Twitter/ Facebook/ www.whateverwebsitecoversthatevent.com

that's fine for the under 30's, even under 40's now, but from 40 and above which is still a big market for sports, the amount of people with fox or who bother with the internet is still pretty sporadic. in the past 5 years the amount of rugby union on free to air has been cut dramatically and in turn that popularity of the sport has taken a huge hit (hasn't helped that the wallabies have been s**t, but it's becoming a cycle)... big reason why super 15 rugby in moving to free to air TV next year.

also streaming internet is still pretty unknown to a massive chunk of people. and until tv's able to to recieve wireless are more common places in houses streaming sport through the internet won't be a big thing. main reason there is people want to be able to use their computer's whilst watching tv. if your streaming a match then your comp is kinda rendered useless whilst that's on.

i'm with you all the way. sport needs to be given more respect cause it brings in countless amounts of dollars to television companies and every year the majority of top ranking shows are sports show. but it's going to be a bit of a process and i reckon it will still be about 5 to 10 years before it's fully complete and we can basically watch any sport we want, when we want (live or delayed if we're at work or out) from anywhere in the world. better than it would've been 20 years ago or so when you were really ****ed for a lack of choice.

i'm with you all the way. sport needs to be given more respect cause it brings in countless amounts of dollars to television companies and every year the majority of top ranking shows are sports show. but it's going to be a bit of a process and i reckon it will still be about 5 to 10 years before it's fully complete and we can basically watch any sport we want, when we want (live or delayed if we're at work or out) from anywhere in the world. better than it would've been 20 years ago or so when you were really ****ed for a lack of choice.

Yeh, but back in the day I used to get so excited when i watched Nba game of the week on Channel 10, or even highlights of a game that was delayed by a week or sometimes even more! It was all packaged in a show called 'NBA Action'

The generation Y kids would be appallled to hear of such a concept, but we got by :rolleyes:

NB- Unfortunately that was the year 1990-something, a time when i was content with waiting for 6 months for US tv shows to first screen on Channel 10! ie - the Simpsons "Oh goody goody!" I need to record this on my VHS tonight while i go studying! :confused:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back