The MCG celebrates its 162nd birthday today - Whats your favourite memories at the 'G?

Remove this Banner Ad

2008 Anzac Day, my first one (obv dogs supporter so for the first 18 years of my life growing up interstate the Anzac Day game wasn't a priority).

Remember being in awe at the atmosphere during the pre-game ceremony

Only counting when I was there else the list would be too big:

1993 Geelong v Essendon. Ablett 14 Salmon 10
1989 Easter Monday same two teams, my first footy game at G and still a record h&a crowd for cats I think.
AUS vs WI back when Steve Waugh took a catch near the site screen and almost crashed into Merv
2007 preliminary final GEE v COL 98000
Geelong flags.
Commonwealth Games when the Aussie guy Scott Martin jumped into gold medal position with his last throw.
Billy Brownless goal after the siren win 1994 QF
Gary Ablett goal after the siren win 1994 PF.

Was the first time since the 1980s that the crowd cracked the 100 000 barrier. I remember the crowd cheering for that. It is the only part of the day I chose to remember.

I was crook as a dog and should have been in hospital. Refused to miss the game though lol.

2010 Rd 4 v Brisbane
2012 - the first GWS game woth $cully - attendance said 20k but when he touched the pill felt like 80k booing
Kick to kick as a kid
Dees v Richmond before ANZAC Day this year was pretty special

Teddy Whitten Lap
Holy crap how could I leave that off of my list?

Was probably the coldest day in Melbourne like ever and I sat with family right near where a cold wind was rushing up. Was in the old Ponsford Stand just across from the Croweaters cheer squad.

It was a weird feeling, even the SA guys nearby couldn't give the usual Vic hate. The Vics had an unusually full strength side in that day, no doubt EJ was a factor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mostly memories before the hideous re-fit in the 90's with new Grandstands that has cost the "G" it's character. It's not the people's ground anymore, don't let anyone ever tell you that, as a kid i could walk from the Ponsford Stand all away around to the Members area before they told you to F Off. These days you better not stray from your seat you might not get back to it! You could front up on any Saturday 30 minutes before the bounce and find a seat along with 70,000 others...not a problem! The only improvement i genuinely recognise is the playing surface and the lights. I preferred this joint!
images

Last edited:
2012. My first ever grand final win live.

I'm a Wollongong boy so I've only been to a few games at the G but my best experience was the Hawthorn v Collingwood prelim in 2011. That night I got a lesson on what passion and atmosphere at a footy game really is. I've never heard roars from the crowd like it and that final quarter was a classic. Hats off to those supporters.

2013 Elimination Final was a great night, when we unexpectedly knocked off Collingwood. Also in Round 1 that year when we destroyed Melbourne at the dawn of the Hinkley era.

I would say the 2004 Grand Final but I was only 8 at the time and didn't understand or take it in fully :(

1954/55 cricket season - Frank Tyson takes 7/27 to dismiss Australia's ten second innings wickets, before lunch on the last day.

Betty Cuthbert winning gold at the 1956 Olympics.

1958 First Semi Final - North Melbourne beats Fitzroy by less than a goal. Beginnings of a generation of heartbreak. Nevertheless, it was a magnificent game of footy.

Seeing Neil Harvey make 150-odd in the 1958/59 Ashes series.

Seeing Rohan Kanhai make 252 for West Indies in a 1960/61 tour match, against Victoria.

Sitting in the old, green, concrete stand (it was rebuilt as The Ponsford Stand) underneath the old scoreboard at heaps of Sheffield Shield games, during the 1960s. About a dozen of us used to congregate with our scorebooks and score the game as it was played. Somewhat pathetic in retrospect. However, I'm still scoring cricket matches in the local league, so not a complete waste of time.

1970 Grand Final - Best game of footy I've seen.

1971/72 - Garry Sobers makes 254 for Rest of the World against Australia. Supplanted Kanhai's innings as the best I've ever seen.

2001 and 2002 Brisbane premiership wins. I only waited 47 years for my mob to win one. Didn't attend the 2003 GF - don't get me started on why.

Last edited:
When the queen visited to see the tigers win a game.
And Fitzroy just upheld the right of all victorians and stole the bikkies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back