flggr The most embarrassing player name in AFL/VFL history: 17thmond’s Steely Green, take a bow

Remove this Banner Ad

catscratchfever

Captain Goodvibes
Aug 16, 2008
The Edge Of Reality
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Space Cadets
I was listening to 774 this past weekend when the commentators mentioned a 17thmond player who had just received his jumper: Steely Green.

They said that his mother named him after the legendary American duo/band Steely Dan.

Someone should have told Steely’s mum where Steely Dan got their name from.

Steely Dan was originally a character in a novel, Naked Lunch, by the great American writer William S. Burroughs.

In the novel, Steely Dan is a METAL DILDO, I kid you not. I know this because I’m a huge Burroughs fan and have read most of his work.

Imagine the look on Steely Green’s face when, one day, someone tells him the truth 😂😂😂

Last edited:
Chris Scott

I was listening to 774 this past weekend when the commentators mentioned a 17thmond player who had just received his jumper: Steely Green.

They said that his mother named him after the legendary American duo/band Steely Dan.

Steely Dan was originally a character in a novel, The Soft Machine, by the great American writer William S. Burroughs.

In the novel, Steely Dan is a METAL DILDO, I kid you not. I know this because I’m a huge Burroughs fan and have read most of his work.

Imagine the look on Steely Green’s face when, one day, someone tells him the truth 😂😂😂
Suddenly, you deserve more respect sir!

Steely Dan was originally a character in a novel, The Soft Machine, by the great American writer William S. Burroughs.

Interesting, lucky his name is Steely Green not Steely Dan, I guess?

Nice to see your Richmond obsession is ongoing.

Tell me the dildo had an internal monologue in the novel...

Tell me the dildo had an internal monologue in the novel...
I can’t remember exactly as I last read it long ago but it’s quite possible - Burroughs was a very unusual writer by current standards. He was also responsible for terms such as ‘heavy metal’ and a few others which have come into common usage in contemporary English.

Last edited:

He would not give a shit.
I mean seriously obsessing over a name?
Geelong fans must be getting good meth this year.

He would not give a s**t.
I mean seriously obsessing over a name?
Geelong fans must be getting good meth this year.
Have you asked him? No? Then you wouldn’t know, would you?

Would you like to be named after a dildo? By the sounds of it you wouldn’t mind.

Nice to meet you, Dildo :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Certain bay flogs know this because they're huge dildo fans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back