Music The music thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Great song. From memory Randy Couture used it as his intro music - perfectly appropriate.

He was on Rogan a couple of years ago. He's nowhere near the lunatic he sometimes pretends he is. Was actually pretty interesting.
Their personal opinions/attitudes/behaviour make no difference to the enjoyment I get from the work of great athletes, writers, musicians, etc.

Their personal opinions/attitudes/behaviour make no difference to the enjoyment I get from the work of great athletes, writers, musicians, etc.

I argued that on a course I was on a while back. Pointed out if you extended it to its conclusion you wouldn't drive cars. Henry Ford had some err, interesting views.

I argued that on a course I was on a while back. Pointed out if you extended it to its conclusion you wouldn't drive cars. Henry Ford had some err, interesting views.
I once told a local librarian who was being badgered to ban some book or other that if you banned books on the basis of their authors' morality, you'd lose 50% of American books, 75% of English books, and 90% of French books.
And Irish literature would have ended with The Book of Kells.

I once told a local librarian who was being badgered to ban some book or other that if you banned books on the basis of their authors' morality, you'd lose 50% of American books, 75% of English books, and 90% of French books.
And Irish literature would have ended with The Book of Kells.

That mindset has worked wonders for comedy though. We now have an industry where none of them are actually funny.

Mind you at least on television Australia was well ahead of the curve.

That mindset has worked wonders for comedy though. We now have an industry where none of them are actually funny.

Mind you at least on television Australia was well ahead of the curve.
I think the rot set in on American TV when Joan Rivers was banned for saying that Malibu was where you lay on the stars and looked at the sand.

Jackie was somewhat discovered by Eddie Cochran and both wrote songs with the great lyricist Shari Sheeley.

I only mention this because yesterday I walked past 5 young teenage girls on the street chatting - and no joke - one of them was wearing an Eddie Cochran t-shirt. She couldn't have been more than 13. My knees did buckle, I must admit.

If her parents are reading this - respect and love. It made my year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

heard something from these guys on a commercial that reminded me of how insanely talented they were, disco notwithstanding.

Hadn't seen the Bee Gees clip before - it's fantastic. Barry is a song-writing genius, especially his skill in writing original material for specific artists. To Love Somebody is just the perfect song for Otis Redding, arguably the greatest voice and talent of his generation. Dead at 26...it's still a shocking loss.

Hadn't seen the Bee Gees clip before - it's fantastic. Barry is a song-writing genius, especially his skill in writing original material for specific artists. To Love Somebody is just the perfect song for Otis Redding, arguably the greatest voice and talent of his generation. Dead at 26...it's still a shocking loss.
damn straight, he's the man
think he might have pipped the Stones with this performance :)

Been spending the week Stoned, with the Stray Cats comp getting some play...I'd forgotten (probably with good reason) how truly awful their attempt at the Otis classic truly is.

It's not even funny-bad, just garbage-bad, to picked up on Tuesday mornings with the recycling...

Yet, two songs later, that lick spits out, the base thumps as the tom-tom rolls...and the hips yet again 'stop, and look around' for space in the loungeroom...

Been spending the week Stoned, with the Stray Cats comp getting some play...I'd forgotten (probably with good reason) how truly awful their attempt at the Otis classic truly is.

It's not even funny-bad, just garbage-bad, to picked up on Tuesday mornings with the recycling...

Yet, two songs later, that lick spits out, the base thumps as the tom-tom rolls...and the hips yet again 'stop, and look around' for space in the loungeroom...

LOL definitely, soul was not their forte. As I heard it, their manager/producer would stick them in a studio, give them a song to learn in a few minutes, record after a take or two and that was it. The Stones themselves didn't what Oldham was going to do with the tracks. Still, the screaming girls probably got off on those, even if they could barely hear them.
Early Stones rockers, blues, their own compositions, and the covers they recorded in Chess were the best of the Jones era IMO.

Heart of Stone, solo pretty much by Jimmy Page on the demo

Great riff,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back