Music The music thread

Remove this Banner Ad

This sums up music for me.
View attachment 1184458
the peak of rock/indie/alt/dance music was the late nineties. Everything before that was just building up to the nineties. Everything after has just deterorated.

peak of jazz was the fifties.

peak of classical/opera was the latter part of the 19th century.

all other music mostly sucks regardless of time period.

Tribute to my favourite Aussie feel-good band who have just announced they are disbanding.
20 years has just flown by!!

Has anyone else noticed that Catempire has disapeared from these boards since the announcement?

been going through my old catempire albums again. Not a top 10 favourite but still a bloody good band. One of the best australia has ever produced.

the peak of rock/indie/alt/dance music was the late nineties. Everything before that was just building up to the nineties. Everything after has just deterorated.

Disagree, the peak of rock (depending on which sub genre you pick I guess) was late 60's - late 70's. Countless bands from then.

late 60s to 70s was a good period. I still prefer nineties though. Better and more varied instruments, more powerful sounds and better progressive music.
More variations I agree, and I did think about that before posting. The roots came I think from Cream, Hendrix, Manfred Mann's Earth Band, Free, Deep Purple, King Crimson, Grace Slick/Jefferson etc and a heap more. I really like 90's stuff and gigged it more when I could than any other era probably.

There is some fantastic stuff being made right now, but you do have to look a little harder because there is so much noise and information out there… and you do have to be a little bit more open to electronica in music.

Disagree, the peak of rock (depending on which sub genre you pick I guess) was late 60's - late 70's. Countless bands from then.
Agreed.
Rolling Stones, Beatles, Kinks, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Bee Gees, Hollies, Hermans Hermits, Creedence, Doors, Jethro Tull, Seekers- covers a few genres there- I could go on and on, but some really unbeatable music in that era.

Agreed.
Rolling Stones, Beatles, Kinks, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Bee Gees, Hollies, Hermans Hermits, Creedence, Doors, Jethro Tull, Seekers- covers a few genres there- I could go on and on, but some really unbeatable music in that era.
Probably because it was the peak of popularity for the genre.

I mean, it's like saying that 70s was the peak of disco, 80s of hair metal and new wave, 90s for grunge, 2000s for hiphop and 2010s for pop.

There is some fantastic stuff being made right now, but you do have to look a little harder because there is so much noise and information out there… and you do have to be a little bit more open to electronica in music.
I agree, there is so much more available now it tough to navigate, like all things net-based. No live scene here.
I find the new-ish music I like tends toward Irish folk/punk/hard rock. :think: I find it harder to get into more modern AOR or blues artists; still go back to the classics and groundbreakers.
It's funny, I will think I have 'discovered' a new band or song and find out its from the 2000s. Does that count as new? :D

I mean, it's like saying that 70s was the peak of disco, 80s of hair metal and new wave, 90s for grunge, 2000s for hiphop and 2010s for pop.
which genre? There are so many different styles and "genres" back then
I think the quality of songwriting, lyrics and music was superior, not synthesised, and memorable.
Who remembers anything from 2000, 2010, 2020 the way we remember the 60's -70's ?

genres?

Last edited:
which genre? There are so many different styles and "genres" back then
I think the quality of songwriting, lyrics and music was superior, not synthesised, and memorable.
Who remembers anything from 2000, 2010, 2020 the way we remember the 60's -70's ?
Most people who grew up with those decades.

The great albums are just as great as they always were IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most people who grew up with those decades.

The great albums are just as great as they always were IMO.
Sorry, I missed your point. I just added 2 very contrasting songs from that era, both classics and hugely popular.
Kashmir is as brilliant now as it was when first heard.

Sorry, I missed your point. I just added 2 very contrasting songs from that era, both classics and hugely popular.
Kashmir is as brilliant now as it was when first heard.
Yeah, Kashmir blew me away too.

But I genuinely do think that music being made now is just as good as music was then, it’s just that those bands were the first adopters in a revolution in the way that popular music sounded. They also had a lot more “clean air” once they broke through.

From 2000 onwards, the likes of Radiohead, Kendrick Lamar and Fiona Apple have done some phenomenal work every bit as good as the masters of the late 60s/early 70s IMO.

The musical progression of the Beatles from Love me Do to In My Life (thanks George Martin for the harpsichord) to Abbey Road, and Brian Wilson in the 60's was unprecedented and unsurpassed to this day. You had also had a virtuoso Glen Campbell hanging around about in other genres as well.

Last edited:
The musical progression of the Beatles from Love me Do to In My Life (thanks George Martin for the harpsichord) to Abbey Road, and Brian Wilson in the 60's was unprecedented and unsurpassed to this day. You had a virtuoso Glen Campbell hanging around as well.
It absolutely was - especially the leap into the Strawberry Fields era.

But I feel that it is also that there was somewhere to go at the time, and pop was an untapped goldmine to explore. I don’t know that there is quite the same amount of room left now.

It absolutely was - especially the leap into the Strawberry Fields era.

But I feel that it is also that there was somewhere to go at the time, and pop was an untapped goldmine to explore. I don’t know that there is quite the same amount of room left now.
Ahhhhhhhhh drugs. Quite astonishing.

The problem now is that music is formulaic. The same progression. The same trill or warble. The same look, beat, packaging. Cos it sells. But it is for the most part unlistenable to me.

Compare today's fluff to Kashmir (as above), Jethro Tull, Sebastian Hardie (Oz), Split Enz, jeez I could go on. No comparison at all, streets away.

Ahhhhhhhhh drugs. Quite astonishing.

The problem now is that music is formulaic. The same progression. The same trill or warble. The same look, beat, packaging. Cos it sells. But it is for the most part unlistenable to me.

Compare today's fluff to Kashmir (as above), Jethro Tull, Sebastian Hardie (Oz), Split Enz, jeez I could go on. No comparison at all, streets away.
I disagree about “today’s” music. Ed Sheeran, yes - but that is one small segment. It’s akin to bubblegum pop of the 60s or boy bands in the 90s/00s. Other artists are doing amazing things.

I disagree about “today’s” music. Ed Sheeran, yes - but that is one small segment. It’s akin to bubblegum pop of the 60s or boy bands in the 90s/00s. Other artists are doing amazing things.
There are so many quality songs written back then where the actual musical production is crazy good.
A well-known apt song for us is worth a listen again. They just do not write lyrics or make music like this now. PIANO, SAX, GUITAR, VOICE, LYRICS. Perfect combo.

Last edited:
Yes you must absolutely get away from pop/mainstream music to find anything adventuresome. There are a lot alternative stuff out there. The bottomless internet is there like the oceans were for explorers. You can either discover a topical paradise or shithole like Florida. :p

Back to those giants from the 60s, most of those guys started out as art students, were self-taught for the most part, had diverse influences, and developed during a time of revolution and experimentation. There is still some of that spirit, with true artists trying to make a living. Very different environment though.

Back to those giants from the 60s, most of those guys started out as art students, were self-taught for the most part, had diverse influences, and developed during a time of revolution and experimentation. There is still some of that spirit, with true artists trying to make a living. Very different environment though.
One major problem is that they have to tour to make money. You can no longer make enough just off record sales alone.

Hence, bands have zero time to write and produce. I mean, the Stones put out five albums in Beggars Banquet through to Goats Head Soup in six years. You cannot do that now.

Yes you must absolutely get away from pop/mainstream music to find anything adventuresome. There are a lot alternative stuff out there. The bottomless internet is there like the oceans were for explorers. You can either discover a topical paradise or shithole like Florida. :p
Absolutely - but sites like https://www.albumoftheyear.org/, theaureview.com (for Australia), the Double J and Triple J feature albums, the Guardian's excellent music section, and of course the ubiquitous Pitchfork are great for finding a few gems. Unless you're feeling real brave...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back