Music The music thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Certain tracks just flick that switch...and transport one back to time and place. George McCrea was the soundtrack to relative's drunken house parties in 1974...1975...1976...I can smell the Old Spice from here and, yes, make mine a Ballantines...

Rock Your Body was written by KC, who kept reworking the track, and banking the cheques, for the next 10 years with the Sunshine Band...

Agree.
Like how I react to this

awesome guitar riff
I'm no expert muso, but I think musically, this song is unbelievably good.

For me that era was all about the keyboard electronics and disco lights.... This reminds me of midnight Express theme

Disco was Donna.

Very alluring. Not heard that for years.

I saw this group live

awesome and loud

reminds me of that Donna song

Last edited:

Ah yes....Mi-Sex...and compu,pu,pu,pu puter games

Saw them live at a Cheap Trick concert..they were great fun.....Steve Gilpin's death was a tragedy.

Listening to this, it raised thoughts of those times...and then the brilliant Mark Hunter and Dragon..another Kiwi band of exceptional quality and led by a voice silenced by death way too soon.

Last edited:

Saw them live at a Cheap Trick concert..they were great fun.....Steve Gilpin's death was a tragedy.

Listening to this, it raised thoughts of those times...and then the brilliant Mark Hunter and Dragon..another Kiwi band of exceptional quality and led by a voice silenced by death way too soon.

I play The Great Dragon discs on occasion, brilliant all round performer. Here's one of my sorely missed voices, he fits the gone too soon.

have not heard that for ages

Agree.
Like how I react to this

awesome guitar riff
I'm no expert muso, but I think musically, this song is unbelievably good.

Mentioned it before, but Hot Chocolate really don't get the acclaim they deserve as one of the great British bands of the last 50 years. Great songwriting, wedded to the production genius of Mickie Most.

A couple of other tracks Mickie produced...

Mentioned it before, but Hot Chocolate really don't get the acclaim they deserve as one of the great British bands of the last 50 years. Great songwriting, wedded to the production genius of Mickie Most.

A couple of other tracks Mickie produced...

Those eternal classics- was not aware about Mickie Most.
Perhaps was predecessor to Alan Parsons.
In October 1967, at the age of 18, Parsons went to work as an assistant engineer at Abbey Road Studios, where he earned his first credit on the LP Abbey Road. He became a regular there, engineering such projects as Wings' Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway, five albums by the Hollies, and Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon, for which he received his first Grammy Award nomination. He was known for doing more than what would normally be considered the scope of a recording engineer's duties.

Parsons considered himself to be a recording director, likening his contribution to recordings to what Stanley Kubrick contributed to film. This is apparent in his work with Al Stewart's "Year of the Cat," where Parsons added the saxophone part and transformed the original folk concept into the jazz-influenced ballad that put Stewart onto the charts.

Parsons also produced three albums by Pilot, a Scottish pop rock band, whose hits included "January" and "Magic." He also mixed the debut album by the American band Ambrosia and produced their second album, Somewhere I've Never Travelled.

Last edited:
Mickie also produced pretty much all of Herman's Hermitt's recordings (but I forgive him) and ran his own label - RAK - discovering and signing up Suzi Quatro, Racey, etc.

If anyone still goes to op-shops, you might still be able to find a copy of Hot Chocolate's Going Through The Motions for about a $1. I think the cover alone meant no one could take it seriously (and it really is dreadful) but where it counts - it's magnificent. Didn't score with the big hits on this one, but the heavy bass-lead disco-funk just doesn't date.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mickie also produced pretty much all of Herman's Hermitt's recordings (but I forgive him) and ran his own label - RAK - discovering and signing up Suzi Quatro, Racey, etc.

If anyone still goes to op-shops, you might still be able to find a copy of Hot Chocolate's Going Through The Motions for about a $1. I think the cover alone meant no one could take it seriously (and it really is dreadful) but where it counts - it's magnificent. Didn't score with the big hits on this one, but the heavy bass-lead disco-funk just doesn't date.

Have rarely heard this one.
Very underrated band.
I visit a brilliant vinyl record shop in Blackburn, and can spend hours there rummaging through records of all eras. Will take a CC one day.

Have rarely heard this one.
Very underrated band.
I visit a brilliant vinyl record shop in Blackburn, and can spend hours there rummaging through records of all eras. Will take a CC one day.
Dangerous!

I couldn't sleep the other morning, and stumbled across a home shopping channel.

After about 30 minutes, I went and got my credit card, and took it out and hid it in the backyard :D

Not very well known, but the great German musician Wolfgang Riechmann was working on his first solo album 'Wunderbar' in 1977/78 - he was stabbed to death in a random attack by two drunks on a Berlin street just weeks before its release.

For those who love 1970s Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, Cluster, Eno, etc. it's a must-have...

To my knowledge, Gary Numan has never acknowledged the debt he owes for stealing his look.

that was pretty cool James1970 ... reminded me a little bit of that Jean-Michel Jarre dude who did the Gallipolli soundtrack

btw, from memory you are somewhat a Twin Peaks and/or David Lynch fan; do you rate Angelo Badalamenti ?

Certain tracks just flick that switch...and transport one back to time and place. George McCrea was the soundtrack to relative's drunken house parties in 1974...1975...1976...I can smell the Old Spice from here and, yes, make mine a Ballantines...

Rock Your Body was written by KC, who kept reworking the track, and banking the cheques, for the next 10 years with the Sunshine Band...

pretty sure the George McCrae's Rock Your Baby was #1 the month I was born ...

There was a certain sound on that era... The Warriors them was another similar one... "Warriors ...come out and playyyyyy"

reckon you'd maybe be talking about the song that plays when the Warriors encounter the Baseball Furies - great track, analogue synths and suited the scene very nicely:

there were links to the song sans the scene itself, but the Warriors is goddamn hilarious/great, so why not enjoy the combination?

Must admit Vdubs I've listened to that Steely Dan track about 5 times this week since you linked it - the chorus of course is very catchy, but the verses are just sooooo great, love Donald Fagan's singing in these sections, and it's just a clever bit of songwriting too...

this live version is ace:

And he helped kill off the Yardbirds when Jimmy Page had joined, the right producer would have made an album like LZ1 or Jeff Beck Group. In fact some of LZ1 was Yardbird material.

ahh 1980...freshman at college, VW with bass speakers behind back seat and tweeters in side panels, Alpine cassette player. :)
These boys for sure, classic ZZ phase I, pre-MTV

damn that Rockpalast was a heck of a show.

And he helped kill off the Yardbirds when Jimmy Page had joined, the right producer would have made an album like LZ1 or Jeff Beck Group. In fact some of LZ1 was Yardbird material.

He did, which was kind of great - he really was only interested in the perfect 3-4 minute pop song. Listen to most of the great Most singles he produced and within the first few bars, there's a great moment, whether it's a riff or just a note, that sets up the perfect arrangement for the song and vocal.

I really love The Measles cover of Kicks he produced in '66, little known, but punchier than the original Paul Revere and the Raiders recording...

pretty sure the George McCrae's Rock Your Baby was #1 the month I was born ...

Didn't quite make it to No.1 in Australia, CC...from memory it was held off the top spot by Paper Lace, who commanded (somewhat boringly) over the charts for 16 weeks...

Must admit, I timed my welcome pretty well to this Number One...

Didn't quite make it to No.1 in Australia, CC...from memory it was held off the top spot by Paper Lace, who commanded (somewhat boringly) over the charts for 16 weeks...

Must admit, I timed my welcome pretty well to this Number One...

Ah yes....Shocking Blue....as a 12-13 year old on the school bus ...opening the window and singing "I'm your penis" to the girls at the bus stop.

What stupid little boys we were....

The next year my father gave me a Kazoo, and we advanced by using it to the Beach Boys and singing the song below all the way home...

With lyrics so you can sing along...LOL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back