Music The music thread

Remove this Banner Ad

There are so many quality songs written back then where the actual musical production is crazy good.
A well-known apt song for us is worth a listen again. They just do not write lyrics or make music like this now. PIANO, SAX, GUITAR, VOICE, LYRICS. Perfect combo.
It's a good song, but there is plenty of music just as good being made now. Not necessarily in the same style - it's very, very seventies and there's a particular sound to that. The strings are incredibly schmaltzy at times, but it makes sense at the end. I'm not sold on the chorus though, it's a bit of a nothing.

In terms of the idea that they "don't make lyrics or music like this now" - in a literal sense, you're right. Storytelling-style songs are extremely out of vogue, and so is the piano-strings-and-sax arrangement. But that doesn't mean that there aren't lyrics just as meaningful, or as good, or arrangements as excellent.

One major problem is that they have to tour to make money. You can no longer make enough just off record sales alone.

Hence, bands have zero time to write and produce. I mean, the Stones put out five albums in Beggars Banquet through to Goats Head Soup in six years. You cannot do that now.
Perversely they are about the only ones making the big money now. Those old bands have so much history that people aren't going to their shows based on current product. The Stones make more money on each tour than previous ones with fewer dates. New bands can't build that kind of following very easily.

Perversely they are about the only ones making the big money now. Those old bands have so much history that people aren't going to their shows based on current product. The Stones make more money on each tour than previous ones with fewer dates. New bands can't build that kind of following very easily.
Looked at getting my teenage sister Dua Lipa tickets for Christmas. At $199/head, that'll be two Christmases, plus a few birthdays...

Absolutely - but sites like https://www.albumoftheyear.org/, theaureview.com (for Australia), the Double J and Triple J feature albums, the Guardian's excellent music section, and of course the ubiquitous Pitchfork are great for finding a few gems. Unless you're feeling real brave...
I've taken to ripping compilations from utube to listen in the car. No track list often, but sometimes hear some interesting stuff that I then have to do some research to find out who it was.

Yes you must absolutely get away from pop/mainstream music to find anything adventuresome. There are a lot alternative stuff out there. The bottomless internet is there like the oceans were for explorers. You can either discover a topical paradise or shithole like Florida. :p
One of my close friends is Suldusk from Melbourne. She classifies her music as neo folk acoustic sounds infused with elements of atmospheric black metal and post rock. Whatever that means, anyway she is cool and I like her music which is certainly out there for an oldie like me.

One of my close friends is Suldusk from Melbourne. She classifies her music as neo folk acoustic sounds infused with elements of atmospheric black metal and post rock. Whatever that means, anyway she is cool and I like her music which is certainly out there for an oldie like me.
sounds interesting actually :)
I'm waiting for something influenced by whale song or aurora borealis whispers. :thumbsupv1:

I better venture away from Hawkwind..."space rock" was fine in the 70's, sitting on the verandah looking at the stars...

...now for something completely different...but still 70's...

....some may not enjoy David Surkamp's voice but for me this song is a classic. For those who don't know this song, hope you enjoy.

Last edited:
I better venture away from Hawkwind..."space rock" was fine in the 70's, sitting on the verandah looking at the stars...

...now for something completely different...but still 70's...

....some may not enjoy David Surkamp's voice but for me this song is a classic. For those who don't know this song, hope you enjoy.

I'm not sure there was a kid back in the day without a copy of Pampered Menial sitting in the parent's record collection...you'd just stare at that scary dog on the cover wondering who the heck he'd just eaten. :grin:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

70s music, for me, is the girl with the curl right in the middle of her forehead. When she was good (Led Zeppelin IV), she was very very good... but when she was bad (Paul Anka's You're Having My Baby, Paper Lace's Night Chicago Died, etc) she was ******* horrid.
Yes to the 1st named, last 2 I would class as lightweight and not anything I'd listen to. Wasn't really pumping up the 70's just thought it's going to be a long offseason and maybe we could do something like we used to with music. Go with a topic and everyone posts some clip they either like or dislike from that era/artist.

I've posted a lot of my favs already so will try to get creative ;)

and now for something completely different...
it's nice when one's deep interests converge :)
Buckeyes slaughtering Big10 rival, band tributes Rush at halftime, and script Ohio :thumbsu:

they've been doing the script Ohio for nearly 100 years and is one of my earliest sports memories
college bands do some of the hippest stuff in their shows and during games, bet they could utilize an oval real well. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back