Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
Started watching The Valhalla Murders.
Set in Iceland. Stunning visuals and after Chestnut Man I was keen to continue my current (temporary) obsession with gritty scandi murder/mystery series.
Promising, enjoyed EP 1.

Chestnut Man is on my list. The Scandis are consistently quality, even the poorer ones are workmanlike, production values and acting are always good. The last one I watched I thought was the best Scandi I'd seen in a while, but it wasn't on Netflix, but Channel Four here; I don't know if you guys have access to it, it was called When The Dust Settles.

I enjoyed Hellbound, but not as good as Squid Game, which one review I saw claimed.
I was ready to drop Hellbound until the last 20 seconds or so. Now I have to know wtf is going on. 😡

That female lawyer sure can take a beating too..

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I was ready to drop Hellbound until the last 20 seconds or so. Now I have to know wtf is going on. 😡

That female lawyer sure can take a beating too..
I thought it had something interesting to say about religion, mortality, how people cope with knowing death is coming etc. The time jump also kept it fresh.

And yes, I like the lawyer lady, more so now I've see her kick some ass ;)

Buzz Hawk

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2017
Buttox
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It's better than the Valhalla Murders! :D
In your opinion..:p
Other than the annoying female lead who managed to f*** things up at every turn, I really liked Valhalla but that could be as much to do with the mesmerising, stark beauty of Iceland.
Now on to Katla, also set in Iceland, much to my delight. Bit more of a supernatural vibe to this one.
So far so good.

Jun 6, 2010
Viana do Castelo (Portugal)
AFL Club
Adelaide
Cousin Eddie's Reviews: Hellbound

6/10 rating

The premise was awesome and original and for some mindless entertainment it's not bad. But that's where it finishes. The whole story failed to live up to any real heights and tended to rely on the executions to make the show. But even the executions made no sense. For starters the injuries inflicted should have been much worse for the brutality the executioners were inflicting plus at the end of the executions what was left does not match reality. It's like the budget was tight for body props.

Still, I'd say watch for something that is original.

On SM-N981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

A couple of movies that popped up on Netflix that piqued my interest...

Chappie - a big fan of District 9 and in my view the reviews are too harsh on this one because they expected another in the same vein from Neill Blomkamp. Acting was passable, SFX were fine, but what grabbed me were the themes of what it meant to be human. Yes, the theme has been done plenty of times in sci-fi but this was a fresh and original take. I won't spoil it for you, but the opening two thirds were pretty damn solid. 8/10

Cold Pursuit
- you'd think what looks like a thriller with Liam Neeson is a by-the-book Taken-style romp but this is actually a fair bit different, with elements of dark comedy and a ridiculously hammy villain. It won't leave an impression on you but it was a decent way to spend 2 hours - think Fargo meets In Bruges. 6/10

Cousin Eddie's Reviews: Hellbound

6/10 rating

The premise was awesome and original and for some mindless entertainment it's not bad. But that's where it finishes. The whole story failed to live up to any real heights and tended to rely on the executions to make the show. But even the executions made no sense. For starters the injuries inflicted should have been much worse for the brutality the executioners were inflicting plus at the end of the executions what was left does not match reality. It's like the budget was tight for body props.

Still, I'd say watch for something that is original.

On SM-N981B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Pretty much agree especially with the unrealistic impact of the violence in general. That lawyer copped an absolute pounding with metal bats and just got up and limped away. Next thing she's in the hospital looking fine except for some grimacing and a slight limp.

The only thing I don't agree with is recommending it. I would say don't watch if you can find something else. It's nowhere near as good as Squid game and if you make it to the end the plot twist will ensure you come back for s2 of what is really a pretty average show.

Jun 6, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pretty much agree especially with the unrealistic impact of the violence in general. That lawyer copped an absolute pounding with metal bats and just got up and limped away. Next thing she's in the hospital looking fine except for some grimacing and a slight limp.

The only thing I don't agree with is recommending it. I would say don't watch if you can find something else. It's nowhere near as good as Squid game and if you make it to the end the plot twist will ensure you come back for s2 of what is really a pretty average show.

For mindless entertainment where you can just enjoy the premise its fine. Why is it being compared to squid game? its not even close, hellbound in comparison is like stepping in a dog turd

For mindless entertainment where you can just enjoy the premise its fine. Why is it being compared to squid game? its not even close, hellbound in comparison is like stepping in a dog turd
Because it's Korean :drunk:

Jun 6, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Cousin Eddie's Reviews: Bruised

3/10

Halle Berry is awesome in this as an MMA fighter, but.....

This is really a leftist rocky remake that is clearly designed to pander to the African American and lesbian community, while also dealing with domestic violence.

The movie kind of holds its own and for the most part if enjoyable up until the final 3rd of the movie, where just like Rocky we see her hit her straps and get fitter and stronger. But unfortunately thats where they decide to write an absolutely absurd final fight scene that is beyond laughable. This is where I turned it off.

Make no mistake, movie magic can hide that you are 55 years old really well, except for one genre, Sport! As good an athlete that Halle Berry is for the movie it is obvious when the final fight comes around that not only is she old, she is small. This is when the director bit off more then they could chew. Halle is not only old to be playing an MMA fighter, they decided in all their wisdom to have her fight no other than Valentina Shevchenko. This lady is not only huge, she is also an actual professional mixed martial artist and a master in several individual disciplines and has the muscle tone that would make several gym junkies cry. Halle Berry maintains the muscle tone of someone who trained for six months for this role.

My recommendation: Wait until its out on TV then go out. Don't waste your time.

Watched 14 Peaks last night. What an incredible documentary and achievement.. inspiring stuff
14 peaks is great. Nims is absolutely incredible (and I think he knows it too just quietly!). Very inspirational. K2 looked the scariest of them and I remember that famous Everest photo. His wife is gorgeous. Great show.

Mar 19, 2014
Newcastle
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors, Dallas, Liverpool
Smashed through Russian Doll in 3 sessions. A fun spin on the Groundhog Day format. Lead actor Natasha Lyonne gets to show plenty of charisma and wisecracking dialogue. 7.5/10.

Apparently there's a second season on the way.

Mar 27, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
In your opinion..:p
Other than the annoying female lead who managed to f*** things up at every turn, I really liked Valhalla but that could be as much to do with the mesmerising, stark beauty of Iceland.
Now on to Katla, also set in Iceland, much to my delight. Bit more of a supernatural vibe to this one.
So far so good.
I have watched Valhalla Murders, Chestnut Man and Katla, all excellent but I’m a sucker for Scandinavian shows, also have watched Deadwind which is Finnish

Don't Look Up is hilarious and a skirts embarrassingly close to how the world is today. 8/10
Fantastic film and probably my best of 2021. DiCaprio is just so good on so many levels.

Yep. Enjoyed it. A sad indictment on today's world though. You laugh but in the back of your mind you suspect it's not that far removed from what the reality would probably be.

Just finished Midnight Mass. Really liked it, had a very Stephen King vibe to it, has a couple of flaws but there was some utterly brilliant moments also.

The whole theme of
misinterpreting passages from the Bible to justify vampiric behaviour
was clever. First two eps were slow which Mike Flanagan (think Haunting of Bly Manor) can do sometimes but they really set the scene.

It’s better than Bly Manor, not sure vs Hill House but I did like the ending more.

Back