The off topic thread 4.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
no, there's no law about lying to contact tracers.

My understanding is that it happens a lot.

To identify how infectious diseases are transmitted from person to person public health units often have to interview people engaging in illicit or highly stigmatised activity like illicit drug use or trafficking, sex work, extra marital affairs, men who identify as heterosexual but have sex with other men, etc.

As you’d expect people sometimes don’t provide the full version of events and decisions on outbreak management have to be made rapidly using incomplete information and inferences based on past experience and understanding of transmission dynamics.

And that’s with these conversations remaining strictly confidential between the interviewee and the contact tracer (much like patient doctor confidentiality).

I read today that SA police are suggesting they’ll be using information provided during these interviews to investigate allegations of criminal activity by this guy. This is not a good move imo. Controlling outbreaks is challenging enough as it is and it’s not difficult to imagine people engaging in this sort of activity would be even more reluctant to cooperate with the health department if they knew they were in bed with law enforcement. The health/criminal investigations should be kept at arms length.

Last edited:

My understanding is that it happens a lot.

To identify how infectious diseases are transmitted from person to person public health units often have to interview people engaging in illicit or highly stigmatised activity like illicit drug use or trafficking, sex work, extra marital affairs, men who identify as heterosexual but have sex with other men, etc.

As you’d expect people sometimes don’t provide the full version of events and decisions on outbreak management have to be made rapidly using incomplete information and inferences based on past experience and understanding of transmission dynamics.

And that’s with these conversations remaining strictly confidential between the interviewee and the contact tracer (much like patient doctor confidentiality).

I read today that SA police are suggesting they’ll be using information provided during these interviews to investigate allegations of criminal activity by this guy. This is not a good move imo. Controlling outbreaks is challenging enough as it is and it’s not difficult to imagine people engaging in this sort of activity would be even more reluctant to cooperate with the health department if they knew they were in bed with law enforcement. The health/criminal investigations should be kept at arms length.

Sounds like the person in question while not getting done for the contact tracing misinfo are having the book thrown at them for everything else. Facing deportation for working while on a temporary graduate visa:

Like you say I don't believe this will help. Anyone who contracts covid who may be working when they shouldn't will likely now flat out refuse to cooperate with contact tracing investigations.

I don’t know if some of you recall that my Dog was diangosed with anemia last year. Well yesterday we took him to a groomer (fortunately the appointment was in a month but was re-scheduled for yesterday after a cancellation) and what happened when we brought him back home was quite scary. His skin underneath his body became all bruised and it looks like he has a lot of internal bleeding, none of which was there that morning. We took him back to the store (pet barn, they have a vet in store) and they told us to take him to his normal vet. We did within an hour and the first question was if we have rat sack around the house (we don’t). So they took a blood test and the results came back early today. He has Immune-mediated Thrombocytopenia, low platelet counts. The course of treatment is the same as his anemia last year, cortisone tablets. It was found quickly and he hasn't deteriorated, so he won’t need to go on a drip.

I’ll post some photos of his skin under his body, in a spoiler tag. Pretty heavy stuff so it’s understandable if you don’t want to look.

None of that was there and we even saw the end of his grooming by the girl who did underneath his body. So in the 20 minutes it took to get his home, that was happening to him. Quite frightening how quickly this all came abou.

Nice story.

The amount of good food we waste everyday would be enough to feed the world. Wastage probably annoys me more than most, i try and run a zero waste kitchen. But i guess it just the disposable times we live in, things like nose to tail eating are a lost art.
My partner and I have a worm farm set up which I highly recommend to get rid of loads of scraps etc.

My partner and I have a worm farm set up which I highly recommend to get rid of loads of scraps etc.
Yeah i have 2 worm farm/compost bins and it supplies fertiliser for my veggie garden and bait for my dad to fish with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anybody here know much about commercial real estate law? Our office lease went to month to month early June (after a 2 year term). Real Estate pressured pretty hard to sign a 12 month extension but I didnt budge due covid etc. We then had to work from home for 4 months so agreed with the landlord to pay 60% of the lease even though we were unable to use the premises and suffered a significant financial hit from covid.

I now discover that our office has been advertised for lease without my knowledge now that we are back to working from the office.

Real Estate claiming they can push us out in 28 days if a new tenant signs up - I thought 90 days was the requirement. They are now trying to get me to sign a 2 year deal or turf us out. What rights does a commercial tenant have on a montb to month lease?

Yeah if you're renewing each month it means you could walk away with a month's notice essentially, surely they don't need to give you more than the same back?

With residential tenancies you must give 3 months notice even if tenants are on a month to month lease. Cant get an exact answer for commercial leases but I believe there are covid protections on notices to vacate until next year.

Just pissed that I paid the landlord for 4 months when the office was unavailable for use and the landlord didnt even notify me they were trying to lease it out, found out by an employee noticing it on real estate websites.

With residential tenancies you must give 3 months notice even if tenants are on a month to month lease. Cant get an exact answer for commercial leases but I believe there are covid protections on notices to vacate until next year.

Just pissed that I paid the landlord for 4 months when the office was unavailable for use and the landlord didnt even notify me they were trying to lease it out, found out by an employee noticing it on real estate websites.

That seems surprising. The entire concept of month to month is you're able to leave with only a few weeks notice surely?

That seems surprising. The entire concept of month to month is you're able to leave with only a few weeks notice surely?

28 days is the requirement for residential tenants to give notice to vacate.

Much easier for a landlord to get new tenants in than it is for tenants to find a new home within 28 days.

I cant find the exact rule for a commercial lease.

28 days is the requirement for residential tenants to give notice to vacate.

Much easier for a landlord to get new tenants in than it is for tenants to find a new home within 28 days.

I cant find the exact rule for a commercial lease.

Yes.. exactly. 28 days. A month.

2020 can GAGF. Not enough that its claimed my uncle to cancer, and my grandmother to old age.

Now an aunt going through chemo for brain tumours fell yesterday resulting in brain bleeding, and unless it stops by itself will likely not make it as she won’t be well enough for surgery.

This year has been bloody horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back