Not open for further replies.

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Anti-intellectualism is getting more and more prominent.

The last 12 months have been a painful cautionary tale which will hopefully turn the tide on this. Whod’ve thought - ignoring the science, not a sustainable long term strategy.

That’s the thing about a virus like SARS-CoV-2, it exposes anti-intellectualism, science denialism, and any other flaws in your systems and decision making processes in real time.

Ignoring scientists today means thousands of unnecessary deaths a few weeks from now. You can’t bury the data or rely on the consequences of those failings not becoming evident until the next election cycle.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
It's not one of the most secure building on the planet though is it? It's a public building isnt it? Or am I way off? It's not locked up tight like say the White House.

Okay, it’s easier to storm the Capitol Building than it is to get a PlayStation 5, then?

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Just chucked the first episode on, but yes, really enjoying it.

Hugh Grant is great. Well written and very intriguing etc.

Used to hate Hugh Grant in the 90s back when he was making making all those Hallmark esque movies like Notting Hill, Four Weddings and a Funeral, Love Actually that make me wanna puke, but he has won me over in the past few years, especially given his political views/stance.
He was utterly brilliant in The Gentlemen (it's on Netflix, if you have not seen it, your missing out on a treat, smashing movie by Guy Ritchie.

I like how he is redefining the characters he plays as he gets olders, certain other actors (esp George Clooney)should try do the same, instead of trying to play it safe to appeal to their niche fanbase all the time.

The last 12 months have been a painful cautionary tale which will hopefully turn the tide on this. Whod’ve thought - ignoring the science, not a sustainable long term strategy.

That’s the thing about a virus like SARS-CoV-2, it exposes anti-intellectualism, science denialism, and any other flaws in your systems and decision making processes in real time.

Ignoring scientists today means thousands of unnecessary deaths a few weeks from now. You can’t bury the data or rely on the consequences of those failings not becoming evident until the next election cycle.
The problem with Sage is that you rarely get two in the room that agree with each others. And a lot of them seen ro have a fondness for going to the press to tell everyone the others got it wrong. Too few

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
The problem with Sage is that you rarely get two in the room that agree with each others. And a lot of them seen ro have a fondness for going to the press to tell everyone the others got it wrong. Too few

Which is fine, we’re at the cutting edge of science on a previously unknown pathogen, I’d expect debate and disagreement by scientists at that level. Behind closed doors I’m sure the Australian equivalents of Sage (CDNA and the AHPPC) would be the same.

That’s what position statements, guidelines and technical reports are for. Thrash out a middle ground.

Which is fine, we’re at the cutting edge of science on a previously unknown pathogen, I’d expect debate and disagreement by scientists at that level. Behind closed doors I’m sure the Australian equivalents of Sage (CDNA and the AHPPC) would be the same.

That’s what position statements, guidelines and technical reports are for. Thrash out a middle ground.
I think the issue is finding the middle ground and sticking with it. The very public dissenting voices going back to last March have only caused to create alarm in the community. They imo need to make their argument in Sage meetings, but be a lot more careful what they say publicly.

I'm really critical of the media in all this, but they seek out dissenters and they do create alarm. It doesnt matter what decision is made but it will almost always be followed by a newspaper full of reasons why its the wrong one.

They could have been arelly positive influence this past 10 months. Educating people, encouraging compliance. IMO they've done the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back