The off topic thread 4.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the issue is finding the middle ground and sticking with it. The very public dissenting voices going back to last March have only caused to create alarm in the community. They imo need to make their argument in Sage meetings, but be a lot more careful what they say publicly.

I'm really critical of the media in all this, but they seek out dissenters and they do create alarm. It doesnt matter what decision is made but it will almost always be followed by a newspaper full of reasons why its the wrong one.

They could have been arelly positive influence this past 10 months. Educating people, encouraging compliance. IMO they've done the opposite.

Thanks for this perspective. Good to hear from people who are immersed in it.

To be fair (and the data has validated this), throughout the pandemic the UK government have made a number of decisions which deserved to be criticised. With so many lives at stake it would have been unethical not to (albeit this may not have been the motivation behind some of these articles and headlines).

I agree that the media have an important role in all of this and if they’re undermining trust in the government’s response strategy then that’s counter productive, but they can only influence people to take personal responsibility which at best is only half the picture. Probably less.

If you want to divvy up the pie of factors which have contributed to where the UK are currently at then I would argue the media are secondary to that response strategy being rational, evidence-based, timely and well coordinated/resourced.

Last edited:

Over 30 cases of the new strain has hit the border in NZ from flights coming in from South Africa, Zimbabwe and the UK over the weekend. A hard border closure will be needed from all countries with significant active cases if this isn't getting out into the community.

Whacky conspiracy theorists on twitter over here called there would be a lockdown called on the 15/1/21 some sort of Illuminati theory about a month ago. Throwing darts blindly might get you close to bullseye every now and then. But the minute one of these cases gets out a level 3 or level 4 lockdown will be called.

Any new virus to humans always has a higher mortality rate. Takes generations of vaccinations & build up herd immunity before it reduces.

H1N1 is still around today and still killing people over 100 years after it first broke out (Swine Flu is a H1N1 group flu). COVID is embedded in the human race now and will be around permanently.

Bit worried about our friend Lebbo73 .

Seems to think there will be a military coup at Biden's Inauguration and the whole US of A will an under the thrall of Trump and Martial Law.

Would really like to think he is just trolling/taking the piss ....

Is he a Trump supporter or not? He seems like he should be.

Watched all of Mandolorian. Haven’t been the biggest fan of SW but that was easily it’s best property.
What I loved about it was the feel. It felt like Star Wars. CGI was gone in a lot of instances (not all but a lot) and replaced by puppets and yes it can look a bit silly sometimes but THAT's Star Wars. Shooting on locations too instead of on green screens. No political agenda either.

The story is a little weak and it feels more like a serial where he has a different adventure every episode rather than an over arcing story line but overall I love The Mandalorian and have hope if Disney * off Kennedy and stick with Favreau and Filoni.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also guys, I was looking for something to watch as I recently finished the Mandalorian and the excellent Cobra Kai and thought I'd give Alice in Borderland a go. The trailer looked a little hammy and weak but...

I've watched three episodes and it's ******* immense. I highly recommend

What I loved about it was the feel. It felt like Star Wars. CGI was gone in a lot of instances (not all but a lot) and replaced by puppets and yes it can look a bit silly sometimes but THAT's Star Wars. Shooting on locations too instead of on green screens. No political agenda either.

The story is a little weak and it feels more like a serial where he has a different adventure every episode rather than an over arcing story line but overall I love The Mandalorian and have hope if Disney fu** off Kennedy and stick with Favreau and Filoni.
Only one episode was shot on location. Everything else was digital.

Have you watched the second season yet?

Kennedy is the producer on The Mandalorian, Favreau and Filoni are directors, it's completely different roles.

The story is a little weak and it feels more like a serial where he has a different adventure every episode rather than an over arcing story line but overall I love The Mandalorian and have hope if Disney fu** off Kennedy and stick with Favreau and Filoni.

What political agenda Jod? Genuine question.

Also guys, I was looking for something to watch as I recently finished the Mandalorian and the excellent Cobra Kai and thought I'd give Alice in Borderland a go. The trailer looked a little hammy and weak but...

I've watched three episodes and it's ******* immense. I highly recommend
Line of Duty.

What political agenda Jod? Genuine question.

Women. Can't have women in Jod's SW. * off Kennedy (who executive produces The Mandalorian) because The Mandalorian being good is proof she's an idiot. I think.

I can’t say I enjoyed the OT as much as everyone else and I don’t know the lore like most fans but I just thought the cinematography, dialogue and story was well done. The end of season 2 was fantastic.

I still do think the storm troopers miss ALOT but I realise that happens a lot in action films in general.

Women. Can't have women in Jod's SW. fu** off Kennedy (who executive produces The Mandalorian) because The Mandalorian being good is proof she's an idiot. I think.

Don't forget People of Colour either. Nope Kathleen stole my childhood 🤪🤪🤪

Women. Can't have women in Jod's SW. fu** off Kennedy (who executive produces The Mandalorian) because The Mandalorian being good is proof she's an idiot. I think.

I honestly don’t get that vibe from Jod, unlike the small handful of posters who seem to bang on about that stuff in the various SW threads. I hope he’s not suggesting that’s the case.

Some of the films have been very disappointing, because, well they’re disappointing. Not everything has to be an agenda or something like that. The way some of them go round and round in circles about it in the other threads is so tiresome, sad really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back