The on topic thread 2.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting, didn’t know that, but if his cholesterol was absorbing that quickly you’d think the club doctor would’ve noticed, these guys are always saving medical checks.

Yeah it happened totally out of the blue. Turned out my friend had some warning signs but simply ignored them.

They are a political symbol though. The military is part of the government.
Who gives a *... Apart from the campaigners at FIFA.

Like most I have family who died in WWII. If some do gooder at local footy told me to remove a poppy on anzac day he'd likely get a punch in the mouth.

Who gives a ****... Apart from the campaigners at FIFA.

Like most I have family who died in WWII. If some do gooder at local footy told me to remove a poppy on anzac day he'd likely get a punch in the mouth.

Your family died (I presume) fighting and killing other people. Those people's relatives would view the poppy less favourably.

In England the poppy should be worn as a sign of respect to fallen soldiers.

Should we ban Anzac Day celebrations and badges because it can offend the Turkish community whose land was invaded?

In England the poppy should be worn as a sign of respect to fallen soldiers.

Should we ban Anzac Day celebrations and badges because it can offend the Turkish community whose land was invaded?

No? And I don't think people are saying poppies should be banned, just commenting on the prospect of banning someone wearing a yellow ribbon.

No? And I don't think people are saying poppies should be banned, just commenting on the prospect of banning someone wearing a yellow ribbon.
Oh yeah I'm all for political statements being outlawed but paying respect to a nations fallen soldiers is different. Sure the defence force and the war in general are political themselves but paying respect is a little different to making a statement.

I also have no problem if certain players in the PL or AFL refuse because their ancestors fought against in previous times

I have family who've served in the vast majority of wars we were involved in (WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam) and others who've served without being deployed. The poppy is special for me because of that heritage and I'll always wear one proudly on ANZAC Day and Remembrance Day but it has to be said that there are some who don't see it the same way we do cough*James McLean*cough for entirely understandable reasons as well.

I also think that even though Pep is a walking, talking hypocrite, I don't see much wrong in him wearing the ribbon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FIFA/UEFA have changed their rules to allow political symbols if they aren't offensive (I guess that's the grey area). FA havent followed suit.

But as far as I recall the poppy issue was about it being attached to a uniform. Don't think there was ever an issue of a manager not being allowed to wear a poppy as part of his general attire but could be wrong on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back