Golf The Open 2015 @ St Andrews, July 16-19

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 15, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Canberra Raiders,Crystal Palace F.C
So the defending champ is out after an ankle injury playing soccer with his mates :confused: who's looking likely to take out the Claret Jug this year?

15 Aussies taking part so far (still two qualifying events this weekend):
Scott Arnold (debut)
Adam Bland
Steven Bowditch
Greg Chalmers
Jason Day
Marcus Fraser
Scott Hend
Matt Jones
Marc Leishman
Geoff Ogilvy
Rod Pampling
Brett Rumford
Adam Scott
John Senden
Scott Strange

Speith will go into this as a huge favourite.
Tiger-like odds of when he was at his peak.
Speith is playing well at the John Deere this week and with Rory out, is the clear #1 in the world right now.

Looks like St Andrews has had a bit of rain recently and the course is a little softer than it has been for the last few opens held there (once every 5 years).
This may lead to some lower scoring than usual because the Old Course isn't long by today's standard, and they'll be able to hit a few more drivers off tees if they can hold the fairway. And a bit more like the US target golf with the approach shots.

The one factor that will protect the course is the wind.
Anyone else here played at St Andrews?
When I played it was so windy, you had to time your swing in between the gusts of wind because they were pushing me off balance!
Still a great day :)

H Stenson and R Fowler my picks outside Spieth! :)

anyone know what the conditions will be like for the weekend?

H Stenson and R Fowler my picks outside Spieth! :)

anyone know what the conditions will be like for the weekend?
Shocking - starting Friday afternoon and continuing right through Saturday at least. 40-50mph winds being predicted.

Should be a good betting tournament. Thurs PM/Fri AM players seem like they'll have the best of the weather although this can change rapidly. Rose, Fowler, Mickleson, Kuchar, Scott look to be on the good side of the draw.

Thinking more Fowler & Stenson now both play alright in windy conditions.

McDowell might be a little smoky as well.

Shocking - starting Friday afternoon and continuing right through Saturday at least. 40-50mph winds being predicted.

Should be a good betting tournament. Thurs PM/Fri AM players seem like they'll have the best of the weather although this can change rapidly. Rose, Fowler, Mickleson, Kuchar, Scott look to be on the good side of the draw.

Molinari backed today at $100/1

Cmon Fran

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to get definitive advice on what the weather is going to do for the second round. The consensus seems that it will be terrible all day which gives the advantage to the AM players (Johnson, Speith, Day etc) from the first round.

Unbelievable rounds from Willett, Zach Johnson and Grace in particular who would have been out there for a lot of the worse conditions.

4 under after 4 at St Andrews

is every hole downwind?

Actually not out of the question because of the way the courses are designed.
You know how the front 9 is called the Outward 9. That is because you play OUT away from the clubhouse, then turn around and play the back (Inwards) 9 towards the clubhouse, which by the scores looked like they were mostly into the wind.
Old.jpeg

Notice that the 9th green is nowhere near the clubhouse like most golf courses you would see.

Doesn't look like it unfortunately. Which is shame because it's going to be at a prime time compared to most other tournaments that I would've thought someone might pick it up. :(

If anyone was going to pick it up it would be 9....but they are already broadcasting the Ashes.

Fox does a great job and i have it in HD so im not complaining.....Ten butchers the Masters when it gets it so frankly im glad its on pay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back