Food, Drink & Dining Out The Scotch thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I drink Laphroig for special
Laphroig was my first foray into islay single malt. Loved it's intensity. By comparison Lagavulin 16 tasted flat and disappointing until a 3rd of the way into the bottle, by which time I started to appreciate it's subtlety and complexity. I was talking to a staff member at Dan Murphy and he said Laphroig is the most returned scotch in the store. First timers open it, talk a whiff of the powerful aroma and think something is wrong with it.

The best scotch I've ever had is the Laphroaig 25 Cask Strength.

I have a bottle of Laphroaig 18 I got for my birthday last year that I'm saving for a special occasion. The 10 is more within my price range when I am buying for myself.

Wow just checked the price. $600! With my guzzler palate I doubt I would have appreciated it.
Yeah, me either. I mean it was great. But to pay that amount of money I'd have to appreciate it a hell of a lot more than I did.

The 18 is fantastic though. At about $130 it is still a bit out of my price range when I'm shopping for myself, but it's worth trying if you find the 10 just too full-on.

Been doing a bite of travelling so picked up some nice bottles from duty free (not in Australia, no value at all here). 2 recommendations- Yamazaki 18, great Japanese drop.
Found a bottle of the Blavanie Tun batch 4 at duty free in Bali. turns out its very hard to find. Wow what a whisky, if you ever get the chance you must try it.

Been doing a bite of travelling so picked up some nice bottles from duty free (not in Australia, no value at all here). 2 recommendations- Yamazaki 18, great Japanese drop.
Found a bottle of the Blavanie Tun batch 4 at duty free in Bali. turns out its very hard to find. Wow what a whisky, if you ever get the chance you must try it.

From what I've heard theres not THAT much saving in whiskey duty free compared to some other booze, that true?

There is a great Whisky bar located in a basement is Sydney. Would highly recommend it to all Whisky lovers. It is called the Baxter Inn and has 300 whiskies from around the world. Great place to take $100 and try 4-5 pours of a Whisky that may be normally outside your price range

I had a nip of ardbeg corryvreckan at $18 the other day, loving the Islay single malts at the moment. Unfortunately it is limited edition and not so easy to find.

Anyway, if you are in Sydney go to this bar.

From what I've heard theres not THAT much saving in whiskey duty free compared to some other booze, that true?

Depends where you are. Australian duty free shops are rubbish for whisky. Just sometimes you can get limited editions made only for DF.
I bought a few at Bali airport recently, Laphroig quarter cask for $69US for 1 Ltr. Dan Murphys want $100 for 700ml.
Dubai and Singapore can be good. Got a bottle of Highland Park 18 for $106US recently, that's good value. Basically you just have to do your homework and know your prices.

How is this pronounced? I've always just said Islay, ie how it is spelt, but was in that prat bar Cookie in Melbourne last year and the Pommie barman who gave us a five minute history lesson (just serve it and STFU) pronounced it Ilah (like in old Auntie Ilah) Is this right?

Yes it is correct, hayseed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a very good bar on Rathdowne Street called The Cure for this sort of thing.

I lived in Scotland for a long time but have no great interest in whisky but will drink it. I got invited to the Scottish Whisky Association so many times for work dos and the like they actually gave me a free membership that I never used.

'Scotch' is fairly rubbery in terms of how it is used colloquially. Broadly speaking it is a style of whisky made primarily out of malt barley and matured in oak barrels. In Scotland there is a strict legal definition that covers the production process in some detail and only distilleries that confirm to the regulations are legally allowed to market themselves as Scotch whisky.

The Scotch style of whisky making isn't confined to Scotland though. There are some excellent distilleries in Tasmania, Japan and elsewhere that make whisky that follows the same production process and is substantially similar to Scotch, but because they are not located in Scotland they do not have the right to use the designation. I tend to refer to them as Scotch whisky anyway, because barring regional snobbishness that is basically what they are. It is a bit like how we aren't technically allowed to refer to Australian sparkling white wines as champagne, but everyone does.

Likewise there are some (not many) whiskies made in Scotland that aren't made in the Scotch style and despite coming from Scotland are not really regarded as Scotch whisky by anyone.

Yamazaki is just a distillery. Scotch and Irish whiskies actually have legal definitions.

Japanese whisky is virtually identical to Scotch in its manner of production. Irish whiskey like Jameson's is quite different.

My point is, it's not particularly hard to comprehend that scotch is a designation based on geographical origin.

Labeling something as 'champagne' or 'cognac' or 'scotch' as it is produced in a similar style is erroneous. It doesn't make similar products better or worse, just different.

In a way calling the outstanding Australian whisky scotch limits the regard in which they should be held in, as they could probably only ever be considered imitators.

I prefer to think of them more as sort of genericised trademarks.

'Whisk(e)y' isn't a very useful descriptive word. Nowadays, to most consumers, words like 'Bourbon', 'Irish', 'Scotch', 'Indian', 'Canadian' are more useful as being descriptive of a particular style than their geographic provenance (which is of decreasing importance).

Scotch must be from Scotland :confused:. Is this what you're meaning?

JD is Tennessee whiskey (most claim not bourbon as it's matured slightly differently and made out of Kentucky, but it's debateable), and Canadian Club is cheap swill from, well, Canada. No idea about Woodland.

Nah, not what I meant at all.

It's just odd what's being passed for whiskey.

As stated by others, the easiest way to distinguish is by calling it American Whiskey or bourbon etc. where the distinct tastes are always present.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back