The Serious Covid Thread - For Those Who Want Serious Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I have to ask where you got those figures from.
As Tasmania aren’t even using AZ at all, I find it staggering that they get none, as well as SA and WA.
What is going on?
It should all be going to Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. That's where the risk is and if covid is controlled there, there will be nothing to worry about in the smaller cities or regional Australia. I watched Barnaby yesterday, and he was proudly talking about how regional Queensland had had more access per capita to doses than Brisbane - it makes no sense at all.

The rantings of Hilderbrand are just exactly what is wrong with this country.

This is not a 'battle against covid' we are under siege. Lauding Sydneyites who 'value their freedoms and accept that life is a game of risks' is typical of the selfish attitude prevalent in many.

So they want to take risks with infection so that they can enjoy their 'freedoms'.

What about the risks they are forcing on those who then have no choice?

Sometimes I am persuaded that as a species we are simply too thick plank dumb to survive.

Gladys not fronting up to press conference after calling their problem a 'National Emergency'. Health Minister complaining that not getting any help from other states.

Numbers increasing sadly. 17 on ventilators.:(, of the 37 in ICU, 36 not vaccinated and the one has had one.

2021-07-24_111421.jpg

Gladys not fronting up to press conference after calling their problem a 'National Emergency'. Health Minister complaining that not getting any help from other states.

Numbers increasing sadly. 17 on ventilators.:(, of the 37 in ICU, 36 not vaccinated and the one has had one.

View attachment 1185252
An accurate cross section of rednecks who refuse to get jabbed I'm guessing.

An accurate cross section of rednecks who refuse to get jabbed I'm guessing.
Health Minister still going on about more vaccines. If those 'rednecks' don't want to get vaccinated, more vaccines is not going to help their situation. Further the problem is now, so not sure vaccination of 1000's is going to resolve their problem.

Maybe do a proper lockdown and mandate people to wear masks could be a good start.

Health Minister still going on about more vaccines. If those 'rednecks' don't want to get vaccinated, more vaccines is not going to help their situation. Further the problem is now, so not sure vaccination of 1000's is going to resolve their problem.

Maybe do a proper lockdown and mandate people to wear masks could be a good start.
The core problem is that fines are a joke - they are zero deterrent.

They can always chance their luck on the AZ as many other millions around the world did.

I can't believe what I just heard, they only want more Pfizer. So would every other state.

These people don't get it!
I mentioned it last night. It's like being on war rations and expressing a preference for French over Australian wine and refusing the latter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1185252

She is just trying to find someone else to Blame for her Massive Stuff Up

it’s not nsw exceptionalism because they’re happy to screw the regions to, it’s Sydney exceptionalism.

Just before covid hit, bushfires were blazing and in a united country, like what has always happened with natural disasters, every state sent their resources to help fight the problem. They didn't keep fire fighting resources in their own state to conduct burning off campaigns to reduce the chances of them being impacted at a later date.

It's a tragedy the way state leaders enabled by a weak federal government have divided the nation.

I'm with Gladys, to me it's a no brainer. Approve mixing of vaccines - first shot AZ, second shot Pfizer 4 weeks later has had fantastic results. Make a massive promotion of AZ. Make a massive call to national patriotism. Send vaccines and vaccination centres to Sydney. Everyone to have mix of vaccines. Get Sydney vaccinated in 5 weeks. Then move to Melbourne and do the same. Then move to...

Just before covid hit, bushfires were blazing and in a united country, like what has always happened with natural disasters, every state sent their resources to help fight the problem. They didn't keep fire fighting resources in their own state to conduct burning off campaigns to reduce the chances of them being impacted at a later date.

It's a tragedy the way state leaders enabled by a weak federal government have divided the nation.

I'm with Gladys, to me it's a no brainer. Approve mixing of vaccines - first shot AZ, second shot Pfizer 4 weeks later has had fantastic results. Make a massive promotion of AZ. Make a massive call to national patriotism. Send vaccines and vaccination centres to Sydney. Everyone to have mix of vaccines. Get Sydney vaccinated in 5 weeks. Then move to Melbourne and do the same. Then move to...
Correct me if I have had my head in the sand, but I have heard nothing about mixing vaccines in NSW, only that Gladys exclusively wants Pfizer. The selfishness of states, the need to eliminate the virus and for political leaders to protect their electoral arses by doing so, have lead to this situation where the states don't want to help each other. Until the international border opens, the virus is a state by state issue, and both leaders and their electorates are largely concerned with their own safety and lifestyle.

according to brad hazzard they are awash with az vaccines, it’s Pfizer they want. Foley explained it well, any un allocated vaccines should be sent to Sydney, but nsw wants the allocated vaccines as well, that means canceling appointments in other states.

In any event, this is not about stopping the spread, it’s about stopping their lockdown. Data from Israel shows that Pfizer is only 39% effective in reducing spread. The end result is an open Sydney great, but swimming in virus which will seep into the other states that have largely un vaccinated population having put their programs on hold. That’s why Andrew’s said you would need to put a ring of steel around Sydney then. But that’s not what Gladys wants, she wants Sydney open. An open Sydney with the rest of the country cycling in and out of lockdowns is not a solution. Gladys know that, that’s why in our earlier kappa/delta outbreak she ruled out giving nsw supplies to Vic before it was asked for that very reason

649CB060-EF23-4311-970C-514C892107B2.jpeg 3E400076-C17D-4E55-9696-DEB57414A57B.jpeg

Correct me if I have had my head in the sand, but I have heard nothing about mixing vaccines in NSW, only that Gladys exclusively wants Pfizer. The selfishness of states, the need to eliminate the virus and for political leaders to protect their electoral arses by doing so, have lead to this situation where the states don't want to help each other. Until the international border opens, the virus is a state by state issue, and both leaders and their electorates are largely concerned with their own safety and lifestyle.

I agree with all of that and Gladys hasn't spoken about mixing vaccines. And it hasn't been approved in Australia yet, but it's a no brainer I think.

according to brad hazzard they are awash with az vaccines, it’s Pfizer they want. Foley explained it well, any un allocated vaccines should be sent to Sydney, but nsw wants the allocated vaccines as well, that means canceling appointments in other states.

In any event, this is not about stopping the spread, it’s about stopping their lockdown. Data from Israel shows that Pfizer is only 39% effective in reducing spread. The end result is an open Sydney great, but swimming in virus which will seep into the other states that have largely un vaccinated population having put their programs on hold. That’s why Andrew’s said you would need to put a ring of steel around Sydney then. But that’s not what Gladys wants, she wants Sydney open. An open Sydney with the rest of the country cycling in and out of lockdowns is not a solution. Gladys know that, that’s why in our earlier kappa/delta outbreak she ruled out giving nsw supplies to Vic before it was asked for that very reason

View attachment 1185326View attachment 1185327

The whole roll out has been done on a risk basis with front line and immunocompromised, either through age or condition, first, assumedly they've all been offered the vaccine already. Now the biggest risk is Sydneysiders, both them personally but also in terms of it spreading to other states. On a risk basis, why would you choose to vaccinate a 48 year old in Launceston ahead of any adult in Sydney at the moment.

My view is that Sydney aren't going to quash it without the vaccine. With where they're at, I don’t think anywhere in the world would, with the possible exception of China. Thus the rest of the states are going to be in and out of lockdown either way.

Keep borders closed and minimise the damage by getting the biggest cities, where it will cause the most damage, and where it will seed from, vaccinated as a top priority.

But yes, I shouldn't have given support for Gladys, as I really only meant support for the idea of focusing vaccination on Sydney.

Last edited:
The whole roll out has been done on a risk basis with front line and immunocompromised, either through age or condition, first, assumedly they've all been offered the vaccine already. Now the biggest risk is Sydneysiders, both them personally but also in terms of it spreading to other states. On a risk basis, why would you choose to vaccinate a 48 year old in Launceston ahead of any adult in Sydney at the moment.

My view is that Sydney aren't going to quash it without the vaccine. With where they're at, I don’t think anywhere in the world would, with the possible exception of China. Thus the rest of the states are going to be in and out of lockdown either way.

Keep borders closed and minimise the damage by getting the biggest cities, where it will cause the most damage, and where it will seed from, vaccinated as a top priority.
Some of us older Australians haven't yet had the booster so it's far from complete.
Get your facts straight.

Some of us older Australians haven't yet had the booster so it's far from complete.
Get your facts straight.
I wasn't referring to not finishing second doses. But depending on what you mean by older Australians, you've had the opportunity to be double dosed. As I said offered, rather than having received, I don't think my facts are crooked.

Meanwhile large numbers of those who are the greatest chance of catching and spreading covid - city living 20-40 year olds - haven't had access until recently when they gained access to a vaccine that Australian doctors are telling them to not take. Getting them vaccinated is going to have the biggest impact on reducing spread and outbreaks and thus saving lives and reducing lockdowns.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back