The Stadium!

What kind of stadium do you want?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure that on one hand you can say he's not the only promoter in town, then cite bands that supposedly wanted to play in Tassie according to you (including 1 who haven't played Australia in the last 5 years, and including 2 whose Austalian tours were COVID rescheduled and are over the next couple of months.)
I think with a roofed stadium it will definitely attract some. The City of Dunedin in New Zealand never got big name's until they built their roofed stadium.

I'm not sure that on one hand you can say he's not the only promoter in town, then cite bands that supposedly wanted to play in Tassie according to you (including 1 who haven't played Australia in the last 5 years, and including 2 whose Austalian tours were COVID rescheduled and are over the next couple of months.)
I think you missed my point, as simple as it was, but that’s ok.

According to me? It was reported by the Manager of Blundstone at the time, Stephen McMullen in the Mercury, on SEN radio and ABC Hobart radio.

To put it kindly as well. These days, Charles isn't as sharp as he used to be either.
I agree we won't get around 8 concerts a year though like the business case shows but we will almost certainly get a few at least. I noticed the ABC interviewed another promoter and he believes we definitely will get some, but he doesn't think we would likey get any that will fill it to the 30,000 concert capacity but believes even with 15 to 20 thousand it will still be big for the economy.

I agree we won't get around 8 concerts a year though like the business case shows but we will almost certainly get a few at least. I noticed the ABC interviewed another promoter and he believes we definitely will get some, but he doesn't think we would likey get any that will fill it to the 30,000 concert capacity but believes even with 15 to 20 thousand it will still be big for the economy.

If they don’t sell out, Victorians will be flying in if they can’t get tix for the Melbourne legs of the tour. Plane tix quite cheap compared to concert tix

This is actually incorrect. Dire straits hosted two concerts well before my time at North Hobart oval in the 80s I believe and attracted approximately 19,000 the first day and 20,000 on the second day. One other concert by another massive band also attracted similar numbers around the same time at KG5 I believe.
Do you have anything to back this up?

I definitely saw it on the internet some where I while back but not sure what it was now unfortunately 😕
I remember them having a few concerts at KGV (where the first Dire Straits was held), including a Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton one that my parents went to while I listened to it as I swam around the Glenorchy pool next door, and I'd be interested to see exactly what the crowds were for those. I wonder if there any more concerts like that afterwards, as I don't remember any.

There isn't many anti-stadium people. Couldn't even get 100 protesters to the last no stadium rally with Jacqi Lambi :embarrassedv1:
Which doesn't surprise me.

I know this is not the greatest indicator, but it strikes me that pretty much every day I go out and about I see cars getting around with the "Yes Stadium" stickers. Like multiple times wherever I go.

I can count on my hand the amount of times I've seen the "No Stadium" version.

I know this is not the greatest indicator, but it strikes me that pretty much every day I go out and about I see cars getting around with the "Yes Stadium" stickers. Like multiple times wherever I go.

I think we have to be honest though the price for this stadium is mostly likely going to blow out. Look at the Perth stadium that was originally planned to be $700 million then upgraded to $900 with the final cost being 1.6 billion. This was also in 2015 and construction costs have continued to rise since. I think we are dreaming if we believe this can be kept to $715 million and it's very hard to see this passing the POSS vote in 2025.

They also had around a 100 to the first Launceston rally too but around 6000 to the one down Hobart apparently.

They also had around a 100 to the first Launceston rally too but around 6000 to the one down Hobart apparently.
I don't doubt it. My feeling though is the anti-stadium voices are a very vocal minority compared to the supporters. How that will play out politically is another thing.

It's not an indicator at all. We only just had a referendum where the "Vote Yes" collateral outnumbered the no shit by at least 100 to 1, and it didn't mean anything.

I don't doubt it. My feeling though is the anti-stadium voices are a very vocal minority compared to the supporters. How that will play out politically is another thing.
I'm have a couple no supporters recently assure me that us stadium supporters are definitely in the minority. I must say a very large amount on social media seem to be against it,so I think a good proportion of the population are still against it. I think it is up to us to convince people because I have noticed a lot of incorrect information come from them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a supporter of a stadium but the business case showing 44 events a year is insane. It states that the stadium will average 8 concerts a year,7 a league games and NFL games for a start. They don't have any contracts signed for any these things and we have never hosted an NFL game yet they think we are going to suddenly host them every year. This is one of the things that will be looked at during the POSS process and I don't think they are going to look at it positively, interesting times ahead.

I'm a supporter of a stadium but the business case showing 44 events a year is insane. It states that the stadium will average 8 concerts a year,7 a league games and NFL games for a start. They don't have any contracts signed for any these things and we have never hosted an NFL game yet they think we are going to suddenly host them every year. This is one of the things that will be looked at during the POSS process and I don't think they are going to look at it positively, interesting times ahead.

I really hope you mean NRL.

There's nothing about NRL or NFL in the business case. And the projected number of A-League games per year is 3, not 7.

View attachment 1863343
Wow this is completely different from how a lot of the anti stadium people have made it sound. I have heard a lot of them say it has all these rediclous things on it that we will never get or things like that it has 7 a league games for example. Having a good look at this I realise that a large amount of these events are actually things that are basically guaranteed and most of it is definitely a reasonable chance of happening. Many people have said that we will definitely not get 44 events but after looking at this I think it would be highly likely,it just shows we can't listen to a lot of things the anti stadium group say.

At most they’re getting 1 Storm game a year, they don’t have any more to give away.

It’d be cool if the Tassie Govt bought Magic Round for a year to see whether tourism would pay for it. That’s be a pretty wild event I think.

At most they’re getting 1 Storm game a year, they don’t have any more to give away.

It’d be cool if the Tassie Govt bought Magic Round for a year to see whether tourism would pay for it. That’s be a pretty wild event I think.
I know other teams have explored playing down Hobart in the past to so maybe the stadium might be enough to make it happen.

Stadium should be built in a way so that it can easily be set up for Rugby and Soccer.

Would love to see the Melbourne Rebels come down and play in Tassie.
That is what they are doing and they are planning the same with the Regatta Point proposal if that ends up getting chosen.

The Stadium!

Back