Mega Thread The Suspended 12- who stays and who goes- DISCUSSION HERE PLEASE

Who do you expect to be at Essendon in 2017?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tippa has gone past Hibbo hence after his signing he want's out he won't be back
This is pure lunacy. Walla has been a revelation but better than Hibberd? You're off your rocker. Hibberd can actually defend, a pretty important skill for a defender.

This is pure lunacy. Walla has been a revelation but better than Hibberd? You're off your rocker. Hibberd can actually defend, a pretty important skill for a defender.

I'm sure he's just being a tad sarcastic.
Hibberd is gone...and quickly forgotten. That's footy.

Hibberd leaves, we pick up a top 30 draft prospect whilst getting a guy like James Kelly for a season on the cheap. Keeping in mind Kelly will probably finish top 5 in B&F this year

Unfortunately the account books were unevenly balanced.
Yes - there was an article on this recently discussed on BF which I couldn't find, our hand was forced and I think it was Evans who told everyone Hird's salary wouldn't count because he was a veteran or something of that nature? He was wrong, and we had to get rid of some great servants of the club. A different kind of utensil up, but still a utensil up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes - there was an article on this recently discussed on BF which I couldn't find, our hand was forced and I think it was Evans who told everyone Hird's salary wouldn't count because he was a veteran or something of that nature? He was wrong, and we had to get rid of some great servants of the club. A different kind of utensil up, but still a utensil up.
From memory, one of Robert Shaw's articles on the EFC website earlier this year. I think it was something about the last time a heap of young kids got opportunities at Essendon (which later led to a period of success).

Reminds me of 2002 when we got rid of Blake Caracella, Chris Heffernan and Justin Blumfield - a massive stuff up by Essendon, particularly in Caracella's case.

Yeah can a lot of angst for next couple of years. Happened to us as well in the 80s when Carey and Bradbury were let go, two popular players.

Of course doesn't come close to the disaster of letting Roger Merrett walk! Sheedy's greatest stuff up...Ty zantuck, Justin Murphy and every other reject around that time....aside.

You think he's staying? Kelly that is

At this stage yes - he will finish top 5 in our B&F and is finishing the season off well. Losing Hibberd makes it even more important. And I've heard from a contact close to Kelly that he's thinking of going around again - hence no announcement to date (unlike stokes) that this would be it.

We still have to pick him up though - hopeful they classify the top ups as delisted free agents so the players can merely pick their club of choice. If need be we can always use the pre-season draft if we're not using it for a big fish like omeara

At this stage yes - he will finish top 5 in our B&F and is finishing the season off well. Losing Hibberd makes it even more important. And I've heard from a contact close to Kelly that he's thinking of going around again - hence no announcement to date (unlike stokes) that this would be it.

We still have to pick him up though - hopeful they classify the top ups as delisted free agents so the players can merely pick their club of choice. If need be we can always use the pre-season draft if we're not using it for a big fish like omeara

pretty sure they have said they will be delisted free agents now

It was more of a suggestion than a confirmation, but the article was on the AFL website which must count for something.
and even better - it was a submission by the AFL player's association the lead to this, nothing to do with Essendon

AFL.com ARTICLE said:
However, AFL.com.au understands after a push and submission from the AFL Players' Association, the League has looked over its free agency rules and found that because the 10 players will need to be delisted to leave Essendon's list, they should qualify as delisted free agents

Tippa has gone past Hibbo hence after his signing he want's out he won't be back

Past? Not a chance, AMT isnt anywhere near Hibbo..
People need to look past the way he moves (which is amazing) and recognize Hibbo is a much more complete player...
Tippa can really struggle to defend on occasion and is outclassed in almost every marking contest..
He may improve to reach Hibbo's level eventually but he is far from it at the moment.

Last edited:
Does this mean we don't have to use draft picks?
As the rules current stand, that is correct. They are delisted free agents which mean they are unrestricted free agents

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
Primary List

Players delisted by a club are unrestricted free agents but a player who retires or delists himself is not eligible to be a free agent.
(http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/free-agency)

And these movements can be finalised before the start of the regular draft period too.

But - most likely, the AFL will introduce a special rule to try to even things out, maybe a bidding process so we end up having to use a pick. Who the hell knows what changes they will make to the rules.

As the rules current stand, that is correct. They are delisted free agents which mean they are unrestricted free agents

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
Primary List

Players delisted by a club are unrestricted free agents but a player who retires or delists himself is not eligible to be a free agent.
(http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/free-agency)

And these movements can be finalised before the start of the regular draft period too.

But - most likely, the AFL will introduce a special rule to try to even things out, maybe a bidding process so we end up having to use a pick. Who the hell knows what changes they will make to the rules.

Don't see how the afl could make that argument - all 18 clubs overlooked these top ups who were delisted. Classifying them as delisted free agents makes perfect sense and Essendon don't have any special access to them. Merely the players can choose their club so all 18 clubs have access to them if they offer a decent deal. Given the top ups helped the afl at short notice on one year deals I think it's reasonable that these players can pick and choose their club should multiple offers present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back