The Swansong - Departed Musicians

Remove this Banner Ad

KEEN as mustard.
Bluesque Stig O'Hara FYI

Thanks so much MEB_ Will watch for sure!

We have an old studio at the back of our new place which we're going to snazz up, one panel of the wall is being dedicated to Bowie, unsure of what yet but thinking a mosaic :)

It's the last 5 years, a doco.

Starts with his, what turned out to be, final tour.

Terrific insights with Visconti at the mixing desk, and the Lazarus musical.
"I'm just the producer, you're the ******* genius".

About sums it up.

The man who launched a thousand riffs is dead. Dylan described him as the 'Shakespeare of Rock'n'Roll'. Lennon said if it wasn't called rock'n'roll it could have been called Chuck Berry. Keith Richards just plagiarised his playing and became a legend. Christ he even invented silly walks before John Cleese.

In 1975 I saw Chuck Berrry at Festival Hall and it was a little disappointing. Chuck was travelling the world and performing for the money. He didn't need a band as he could find one in each of the cities he played. He would walk on stage and people would start shouting requests. He did this for 45 minutes and then walked off. No encore. The promoter would hand Chuck a suitcase of money and he's be off to the next venue. I was pissed for awhile but that's showbiz.

When I think of Chuck I'm a 10 year old sneaking around playing my sister's records. Trini Lopez? Na. The Walker Brothers. Not bad. The Supremes. This is getting better. The Four Seasons. Hey I can hit the high notes. Chuck Berry. ******* hell. I wanna be Chuck.

Berry's guitar playing was magical and his songs. None of this puerile s**t. There's stories, wit and history.

I have a theory that Chuck could have been the greatest except for his colour. Elvis is a lucky guy.

So Chuck you were the Prince of rock'n'roll. The heir apparent. And I've forgotten all about 1975.

:cry:.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back