The WACA - Downfall

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't quote me on it but I seem to remember their being discussions of Gloucester Park being sold and the trots to be moved inside of Belmont Park and by aquiring the land of Gloucester park the new stadium could of gone here and be called the WACA. As a WACA member at the time I certainly know it was discussed, but as we know the WACA have always been anti progression and said not interested, on top of that I don't think the trots were very keen on moving either.
The trots had just rationalised with the closure of East Fremantle track.
There heart wasn't in another closure and I think there were other options like starting from scratch further out on cheap land somewhere.

Because there's no demand.
Easy to increase buses to the CBD and Perth railway stations from the WACA.
Buses don't work for transit after sport and it would've been impossible to build a WACA spur line, let alone one that connected all the way down to Freo territory. Was never going to happen.

Buses don't work for transit after sport

Well that's what they have at the new stadium and we prefer them over the trains for exiting.

and it would've been impossible to build a WACA spur line,

Not impossible to build a spur line.
Quite easy to build light rail down the Esplanade.
let alone one that connected all the way down to Freo territory.

The Fremantle line passes through Perth railway station so i don't see the problem.
Was never going to happen.

Yes, because the WACA were never interested.

Well that's what they have at the new stadium and we prefer them over the trains for exiting.

Not impossible to build a spur line.
Quite easy to build light rail down the Esplanade.

The Fremantle line passes through Perth railway station so i don't see the problem.

Yes, because the WACA were never interested.
I'll cop the L cos it is your city. Done me like a dinner

No doubt the WACA's last development (01-02 from memory) really set the stadium back.

There's still room for it to be a 25K seat stadium which is exactly what it needs to be. Any cricket matches which do not exceed that should remain at the WACA.

I went to the WACA to watch an ODI - South Africa v Sri Lanka in 2006
I liked the WACA. Was a nice, relaxed group with a good mix of grassy hills, and seated areas

I understand that the corporatisation of sport has changed people's expectations on what a ground should constitute, but I even miss the days of watching Melbourne Victory at Olympic Park in the first two seasons

I know a Melbourne Storm member who loved Olympic Park. Although the facilities were clearly inferior, the place sort of had soul
Perfect outline is when Arsenal left Highbury and moved to Emirates. Yes, Emirates is larger and all that, but Highbury had an intimacy that large grounds sometimes can't replace...

I like attending the VFL for that reason - standing in the outer at a suburban ground watching a game of footy in its simplest form - whether it was Box Hill, KP (admittedly seated), or Vic Park

Yes, because some people simply don't get it.
Building the same stadium style as Burswood at the WACA would have saved $300 million in construction
and $600 million in transport infrastructure.
Would it though? Just one look at East Perth shows it would have been mighty challenging to fit trains into it currently how the whole thing operates it's reasonably smooth in both directions off the Armadale line.

I've been affected by traffic because of the Big Bash final once at the WACA, Albany highway was choked all the way up to Cannington / Leach Hwy from East Perth and didn't move. That would have essentially been a weekly occurrence if they built a massive WACA because I highly doubt effective transport would have been able to get built, and therefore more people will try driving.

Construction yes of course it would have, because of the pylons but with Trinity and Gloucester next door I doubt we're getting anything as nice as what we have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t get it? How is the WACA ‘inner city’ if I keep hearing its so inaccessible? For those conversant in both Perth and Melbourne geography is it say, a Carlton distance from the city but Carlton has PT links where East Perth doesn’t?

I don’t get it? How is the WACA ‘inner city’ if I keep hearing its so inaccessible? For those conversant in both Perth and Melbourne geography is it say, a Carlton distance from the city but Carlton has PT links where East Perth doesn’t?

It’s a bit more like Docklands Stadium, but only if Southern Cross Station and Flagstaff Station were removed, and all trains went via Melbourne Central on the City Loop.

Last edited:
The WACA is in a great spot. If you are staying in a CBD hotel you basically walk past the WACA on your way to Optus.

some quotes

The financial subsidy will also entail either offsetting expenditure reductions or increased rates to provide the subsidy.

The unmet need for an aquatic facility in the City of Perth has not been established.
Work undertaken to date on the Proposed WACA Aquatic Facility is yet to fully identify community needs or expectations regarding an aquatic facility within the boundaries of the City of Perth. Work undertaken as part of integrated planning for the broader WACA Redevelopment Project suggests relatively modest demand for the kind of aquatic facility which is proposed, which is in part why there is a significant requirement for ongoing financial subsidies by the City of Perth. This modest demand is driven by the location of the facility, the services offered, and the competing facilities both within the City of Perth and in adjacent local government areas.

The provision of this facility may also result in lost opportunities for future, more appropriate aquatic facilities within the City boundaries.

The proposal has a negative impact on the Long Term Financial Plan.

ACIL Allen found that the proposed WACA Aquatic Facility would expose the City of Perth to significant lifecycle costs over the 40 year life of the Aquatic Facility. These costs would be well in excess of the City of Perth’s initial funding contribution.

The City should consider whether the WACA’s proposed involvement of the City in the WACA Redevelopment project represents the best value for money outcome for the City’s funding commitment. ACIL Allen’s financial assessment suggests the City is exposed to significant financial costs under the current arrangement and assumptions, which are unlikely be offset by broader economic and social benefits for the City’s residents and businesses.

It's just a jump to the left and a step to the right.
The WACA from Perth Railway Station isn't that much further than the MCG from Flinders St Station.

Only about 60% longer in distance.

And 70% longer in time due to all the road crossings and the massive hill at the intersection of Wellington Street and Plain Street.

IMG_2118.JPG

IMG_2119.JPG

I can’t help but think that Perth has missed an opportunity, now that the WACA Ground is being redeveloped, and Wellington Square got an upgrade.

Imagine if instead, the WACA Ground and Wellington Square got swapped for purposes.

So the WACA Ground got demolished and turned into an inner city park. And Wellington Square had a multi-purpose footy cricket field to replace the WACA.

Wellington Square is a similar distance to Perth Station as both Perth Arena and Perth a Rectangle Stadium, but each in different directions.

It is also a similar distance to Claisebrook Station as Perth Rectangle Stadium, which will be served by the Armadale, Thornlie, Midland, Airport and Ellenbrook railways, and Fremantle as trains run through Perth Station.

It would still be close to the East Perth hotel precinct, but be closer to the Northbridge entertainment area. And would also put the field more central to more car parks.

All of which would make it easier to disperse crowds after events, but also be more accessible.

IMG_2120.JPG

IMG_2121.JPG

Oh well. Maybe in 30 years time there will be another opportunity.

some quotes

The financial subsidy will also entail either offsetting expenditure reductions or increased rates to provide the subsidy.

The unmet need for an aquatic facility in the City of Perth has not been established.
Work undertaken to date on the Proposed WACA Aquatic Facility is yet to fully identify community needs or expectations regarding an aquatic facility within the boundaries of the City of Perth. Work undertaken as part of integrated planning for the broader WACA Redevelopment Project suggests relatively modest demand for the kind of aquatic facility which is proposed, which is in part why there is a significant requirement for ongoing financial subsidies by the City of Perth. This modest demand is driven by the location of the facility, the services offered, and the competing facilities both within the City of Perth and in adjacent local government areas.

The provision of this facility may also result in lost opportunities for future, more appropriate aquatic facilities within the City boundaries.

The proposal has a negative impact on the Long Term Financial Plan.

ACIL Allen found that the proposed WACA Aquatic Facility would expose the City of Perth to significant lifecycle costs over the 40 year life of the Aquatic Facility. These costs would be well in excess of the City of Perth’s initial funding contribution.

The City should consider whether the WACA’s proposed involvement of the City in the WACA Redevelopment project represents the best value for money outcome for the City’s funding commitment. ACIL Allen’s financial assessment suggests the City is exposed to significant financial costs under the current arrangement and assumptions, which are unlikely be offset by broader economic and social benefits for the City’s residents and businesses.
Last I heard was Council were prepared to put in $25m to build it but not the estimated $120m on upkeep over its 40-year expected life. Not sure if anything's changed since then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back