Food & Drink The Whisk(e)y Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just came back from Japan with a bottle of The Nikka 12 which is a soft and sweet blend with suprising depth, some suntory old and a wild turkey 101 8 year old. Oh man how I miss the the age stated 101, such a rye spicey powerhouse whiskey, Hunter S Thompon's favourite so you know its good.

Just came back from Japan with a bottle of The Nikka 12 which is a soft and sweet blend with suprising depth, some suntory old and a wild turkey 101 8 year old. Oh man how I miss the the age stated 101, such a rye spicey powerhouse whiskey, Hunter S Thompon's favourite so you know its good.

Is the age stated turkey 101 finished?

Nah just the good ol' 101 from pre bourbon boom, the way bourbon used to be before the world caught onto the bargain that it is.
Never heard of a finished 101, I think by definition it would no longer be a straight bourbon, which all 101s are and if by finished you mean rebarelled.

Sorry that was a confusing post due to excessive bourbon on my birthday. No Wild Turkey 101 is finished, they are all straight bourbons which means one new oak barrell only, along with a couple other age and mashbill requirements we dont need to go into right now.

What the **** is this rationing you talk about?
It's hard to do, yes.

So my current collection:

1 x Bowmore 700ml
1 x Woodford 700ml
1 x Dimple 700ml
1 x Glenfiddich 12 700ml
1 x Talisker Storm 700ml
1 x Hakushu 700ml
1 x Hudson Rye 350ml
1 x Hudson Baby Bourbob 350ml

Yeah, I'm pretty well stocked currently...

I'm currently at:

Clynelish 14y 700ml
Teeling single malt 700ml
Aberlour A'bunadh batch 47 700ml
Glenfiddich 12y 700ml
Timboon Port expression 200ml (from cask Thunderstruck 4)
Dalwhinnie 15y 700ml
Starward 700ml
Limeburners infinity 700ml
Hellyers road slightly peated 10y 700ml
Hellyers road original 12y 700ml

I'm better stocked than my favourite local

Impressive Aussie representation, I dont have any atm but I am partial to a bit of Starward, probably the Essendon connection.

I've run my whisky stocks down over winter but currently have:
-The Nikka 12
-Suntory Old
-Nikka Gold and Gold
-Wild Turkey rare breed
-Wild Turkey 101 8 year
-Old Grand Dad 114
-Four Roses Single Barrel
-Blantons Private Reserve
-Johnnie Walker Josh Green
-Lagavulin 16
-Ardbeg 10
-Teelings Single Malt

Plenty of rum, cognac, eau de vie and randon liquers and other stuff kicking about too, plus a fridge full of vermouth, sherry and other fortefieds.
What can I say other than I love booze.

So I'm definitely getting parochial with my whisky. Hellyers Road is up there with my favourite distilleries.

Any lovers of whisky could do a lot worse than getting their hands on a sample pack of the 10 yr, Pinot Cask and Peated.

They're spicy, I'm convinced its eucalyptus, and that puts some off. I understand but to me Hellyers Road is the most dramatic example of the common theme, being a spice and sweetness, that runs through all Australian whisky.

The Peated is my favourit because of the combination of worlds. On paper the peat doesn't look like it would work but it balance the whisky perfectly.

Onto other matters, I've always like tequila but never understood what mezcal was. When done right, oh boy! Its smokey, not peat smoke but like chipotle.

Have to try some to because the standard can be a little rough. Absolutely amazing in a bloody Mary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you’re looking for something really unique try buying a bottle from the Scotch Malt Whisky Society. They buy single casks from famous distilleries and independently bottle them before selling them by tasting notes rather than brand. I’ve tried pretty much every whisky distillery going around (much to the dismay of my wife and our bank account) and I tend to only purchase single cask these days. It’s not a quality thing necessarily (although SMWS do tend to focus on quality) it’s more to try something different.

I just got a bottle of Oban from the mil who just got back from Scotland. Does that go ok with coke?

Even though I know you’re ******* with people I still want to bitch slap you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back