Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Oct 9, 2003
Reebok Stadium
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bolton,Clippers,Falcons,Mariners
Does anybody else watch this ripping show ?

From the makers of Oz and The Sopranos.

About drug dealing homies on the streets of Baltimore and the cops that chase them.

Its not a goodies versus baddies type of show. None of the characters I would classify as 'good.'

9.30pm Fox 8, Tuesday Nights
11.30pm Fox 8(2) Tuesday Nights

Give it a go.

Bought season 1 on dvd earlier this year as a blind buy purely because of what's written about it. I then bought season 2 the day it was released. Easily the best written show ever.

Heard a lot about it, but never really watched it.

I'll give it it a go tonight. Sounds like the sort of show I'd love.

That was really good. :thumbsu:

I've only seen a few Season 1 episodes. I think Homicide LOTS was much better but everyone raves on and on about The Wire. I'm going to wait for the DVD box set to be released and might buy that.

Coincidentally, my order for the Homicide LOTS 35-DVD box set just arrived in the mail today. It's a beauty!

Awesome episode tonight.

I never thought I'd say this but this as good, if not better than Oz and The Sopranos.

Must get the box set.

Would be very hard to top OZ - but from what I saw last night (albeit at the ridiculous hour of midnight) it seemed good - are teh DVD's out in Australia yet?

Season One and Two are on dvd here. JB has them.

Was channel 9 showing season 3 the other night? I can't be bothered taping it so I'm just gonna wait for the season 3 set to come out here. The first 2 came out not long after channel 9 was airing them.

I never thought I'd say this but this as good, if not better than Oz and The Sopranos.

It's definately up there like a lot of HBO shows. The lines between good and bad amongst the characters are so blurred. It's also amazing how much I've learned about police procedure and the drug trade by watching The Wire. The way Barksdale and his crew run things is like a business - his number 2, Stringer Bell taking economics classes in season one and then the way the dealers use the Enron scandal as a blueprint to solve their drop in sales during season two.

Season One and Two are on dvd here. JB has them.

Was channel 9 showing season 3 the other night? I can't be bothered taping it so I'm just gonna wait for the season 3 set to come out here. The first 2 came out not long after channel 9 was airing them.

It's definately up there like a lot of HBO shows. The lines between good and bad amongst the characters are so blurred. It's also amazing how much I've learned about police procedure and the drug trade by watching The Wire. The way Barksdale and his crew run things is like a business - his number 2, Stringer Bell taking economics classes in season one and then the way the dealers use the Enron scandal as a blueprint to solve their drop in sales during season two.

I think they're up to episode 9 of the first season on Foxtel.

The one where Omar tries to kill Barksdale. Its also the episiode where the East crew play the West side crew in a game of basketball.

I think season 1 was one of the best season of TV I've ever seen. I'm about half way through season 4 and it is looking really good as well.

I didn't enjoy season 2 as much as I have 1,3 and 4. Probably because the focus is on the docks, when I wanted to see more of Stringer and Avon and Omar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Season 3 is back on Fox 8, Tuesday nights at 10.30pm.

I think they're about 4 episodes in.

In typical understated Wire fashion; the season 5 teaser promo. Contains a tiny spoiler that anyone who's watched season 4 could/should have guessed.

[youtube]QFQVSvG5x54[/youtube]

I can't friggin wait, but it also sucks that this is the last season.

If you haven't seen it then you NEED to get season 4. They introduce new characters (obviously) and it really is just an incredible season of TV.

I agree that it's a shame that 5 is the last season, but for a show that doesn't appeal to a large audience it's had a good run.

Just finished watching series 3 of this last night and am about to get started on Season 4.

For mine this show does not get enough credit in Australia.

Was disappointed to see a character I liked get killed I thought he was a good character. The whole concept of the "Free Zone" to deal drugs was a pretty cool spin, I wonder if that has occured somewhere in real life?

Anyway I am going to get into series 4 tonight, can anyone give me an idea of what is in store?

Just finished watching series 3 of this last night and am about to get started on Season 4.

For mine this show does not get enough credit in Australia.

Was disappointed to see ************ get killed I thought he was a good character. Thw whole concept of the "Free Zone" to deal drugs was a pretty cool spin, I wonder if that has occured somewhere in real life?

Anyway I am going to get into series 4 tonight, can anyone give me an idea of what is in store?

Mate, Season 3 hasn't finished on Foxtel yet.

A lot of won't know whats happened re the character you mentioned.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiyeeeeeet :D

I just finished season 4, that would have to be my favourite season out of the four. Could anyone be more unlikable than Marlo and his crew? At the beginning I thought they were a bit one dimensional, but they're just plain bad without any code.

I seriously hope they're worked over in season 5, but considering, all I'd expect is a very minor police victory.

Season 4 also had a couple of the best "pre-opening credits" scenes ever, one with Snoop buying the nail gun (I think from the first episode) and the other was Omar in jail, when he covers himself in phone books and stabs a guy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back