Multiplat The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Tales of a legendary card playing, camomile drinking adventurer

How do you feel about Gwent?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Finally got around to playing (and finishing) the DLC. I don't know what to do with myself now, the last section of Blood and Wine was beautiful, so much so that I spent an hour taking photos with NVIDIA Ansel. Wrapped up the story brilliantly.

Hey ultrawide fam, did you do anything about fixing the 16:9 cut scenes? The game itself is obviously fully 21:9 friendly but the cut scenes can be ocassionally jarring with the black bars.

Edit: just found a way to edit the exe and seems to have worked.

Hey ultrawide fam, did you do anything about fixing the 16:9 cut scenes? The game itself is obviouslly fully 21:9 friendly but the cut scenes can be ocassionally jarring with the black bars.

Edit: just found a way to edit the exe and seems to have worked.
Yeah a minor annoyance, but thankfully it was a simple hexedit. You’ll still find the movie-style cutscenes remain 16:9 but there’s not many of those in the game. The game plays very nicely at 21:9.

Yeah a minor annoyance, but thankfully it was a simple hexedit. You’ll still find the movie-style cutscenes remain 16:9 but there’s not many of those in the game. The game plays very nicely at 21:9.

The hex edit is what I did and it works perfectly. I don't mind the other scenes, they're pre-rendered anyway.

Are the first 2 worth playing through before 3? Got them on sale for around $10 bucks all up.

The first hasn't aged well at all so not really unless you're super keen for some background. The second would be handy if you had time but still not necessary. There are more references to two than one on three but even then the game does well enough not to rely on them for the new players. Obviously makes more sense though because you can simulate a Witcher Two save in three.

So I’ve found that my quest log is kida backlogged so I went back and did a few silly ones like dancing and whatever , and then I get like 2exp.. is there a point to do every single quest (which I have been doing) but find I’ll level up faster than the quests can keep up with. Just hit Skellige wow!
Could happily spend 40hrs there just going around the islands.

So much treasure to find and sell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played a for a few hours, it was ok, hasn't wowed me so far. I read the last couple of dozen pages and seems like Beerfish felt the same early on and it grew on him. Will keep at it and see how it goes.
A couple of caveats on that. Originally I thought it was a recent game (that's how much I knew about the series). The guy at jbs recommended it when I bought my ps4 pro after having been out of gaming for a few years. It then sat there while I played some other games and the last game I played before it was assassin's creed origins. Was a helluva pace shift going from that game which was brand new at the time to a game I also thought was quite new but was actually several years old I think. It just took a while to suck me in and the change of pace and slickness was a bit jarring but I'm so glad I stuck with it. One of the best games I've ever played.

A couple of caveats on that. Originally I thought it was a recent game (that's how much I knew about the series). The guy at jbs recommended it when I bought my ps4 pro after having been out of gaming for a few years. It then sat there while I played some other games and the last game I played before it was assassin's creed origins. Was a helluva pace shift going from that game which was brand new at the time to a game I also thought was quite new but was actually several years old I think. It just took a while to suck me in and the change of pace and slickness was a bit jarring but I'm so glad I stuck with it. One of the best games I've ever played.
I did notice Lance telling you it was 5 years old, but even now it's still not that old, let alone a few years ago when you started playing it! Released May '15 so 5 years this year. You still make a good point though, I need to remember its age and try not to compare it too much to the likes of AC Origins/Odyssey and RDR2. Graphics and controls aren't going to be as polished as more recent games. Kinda like if you played AC1 when it first came out, it was great, but someone playing it for the first time now would think it sucks. Sounds like this has aged a bit better than that though and the story should still hold up.

Most other open world games are more like checklists that you just tick things off. With this game you just let go, get involved in the story telling and let the game take you. The first few hours might be a chore if you're new as it almost entirely references previous events and characters, but that moves on pretty early. Stories like the Bloody Baron is one of the best told in any video game imo. Even more so when it has multiple endings given it's an RPG.

I've started new playthroughs of this many times over the years, but again most recently I guess like everyone else after watching the show. It's still holding up better than a lot of other games released since. The first playthrough ever I did was on death march because I wanted the achievement, and coming from Witcher 2 I knew these games get easier as they go on. I tried playing lower difficulties on subsequent playthroughs but it's just too easy and you don't need to do all the cool things that make you a Witcher to get by. It's probably the easiest hard game I've ever played. I noticed it has got even easier with a skill added in Blood and Wine (I didn't see it last time?!), Gourmet. Usually the worst part about death march isn't the combat (spam dodge, keep up Quen, use buffs), it was the lack of health regen. Now you just have to eat once every 20 minutes to keep your health topped off. I levelled the early parts too quickly this time and didn't get draconid or cursed oil recipes to drop and I'm only getting enhanced ones now, so I need to wait until Skellige I think to buy them. Even so I'm not even really missing those oils when they happen to make up some of the hardest enemies.

Anyone play Gwent?
I never completed TW3 but got stuck into the card game and only just found the card game on PC.
Love the strategy involved and starting to put together a nice Northern Realms deck.

Jumped on the new playthrough bandwagon and my god, I forgot how boring White Orchid is when you know how great the game is once you get to Velen and beyond.
White Orchard felt like home after a very long spell away. Whenever I came back to it I was like' Hey there's my old mate whose cart I saved from the Griffin! And there's that Dwarfs workshop who I had arrested. Oh and who could forget the Inn where I was racially abused.' Aaah memories.

For me the biggest grind is the first few hours/levels after just getting to Velen. After that I'm back into it.

I never find that because that is when I just start exploring, gathering some side quests, and then in next to no time I have gained a couple of levels.

I never find that because that is when I just start exploring, gathering some side quests, and then in next to no time I have gained a couple of levels.

On Death March you're somewhat restricted in exploring straight away though. I don't mind if they're red levels, it's just the skulls and lack of health regen abilities. I usually set off to Keira's mission straight away because that's an instant few levels then I'm pretty much free anywhere south of river and north of the southern islandy bit. Never played with the Gourmet skill as when Blood and Wine came out I already had a full adrenaline build. It is ridiculously OP and I'm considering actually taking it off lol. It's making the points invested in signs for Quen absolutely worthless now. May as well go even more OP and swap them for alchemy on top of adrenaline so I can run Ekhidna and/or Ekimmara decoction at the same time and be pretty much immortal.

Back