Review Things you learnt vs North Melbourne (Preliminary Final edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
No-one started it so here I am!!

1. It's an immensely satisfying feeling to support a club that has emerged from years (decades!) in the wilderness to make a fourth grand final in ten years. It's a credit to everyone involved, from the playing group and the football department to the club's administrators. Another flag next week would be a fitting reward for all the work that has been done to get us to where we are today.

2. I just wanted to highlight the contributions of the players in tonight's 22 who haven't played in a premiership winning team. You need to be hungry to win a flag, and each of the following six players all showed this at various stages tonight.
Tippett - must love playing in preliminary finals, had one of his best games for the year, always provided a target.
Rohan - didn't let a poor start to the qualifying final faze him, his running bounces have now become an offensive weapon.
Rampe - now a key member of the backline and can be entrusted with important jobs.
McGlynn - the hard luck story of 2012, just love his attack on the footy.
Cunningham - need I say more, terrific job on Harvey and adds pace to our midfield.
Lloyd - so composed once again with ball in hand and has the temperament to succeed at this level.

3. vonn can call Luke Parker Good Lukeing as much as she likes.

1. Has Gazza Rohan come of age? He was brilliant tonight.

2. Parker will win a Brownlow in the future.

3. Welcome back vintage Goodesy, just not as pacey.

4. Rampe is cool in a crisis and certainly knows what to do when he has got the footy.

Last edited:
1. North were lucky to win against the top teams. Sydney in the wet without Tippett, Goodes, Reid, Bird. Beat a half strength Hawks team, a Freo team that like Sydney took a while to get going, Lost H&A against Geelong & only beat them in finals due to Cats injuries.
2. Sydney has plenty of trade bargaining power & could become a dynasty. With players like Mitchell, Membrey, Towers not playing but attracting attention from other clubs & with Heeney & possibly Abe Davis to come into the team as well as Lloyd Perris & Alex Johnson to return from injury, the Swans can really go after top end talent.
3. It was nice to stick it up the flogs again... Life's balance has been restored....

1. So happy with the young players. Rampe, Rohan, Lloyd, Parker, Cunningham, all getting the job done, week in week out.
2. A great team effort, every player contributing
3. The coaching and list management have really improved this year.
3. 48,000 at ANZ. I reckon we'd have beaten that at the SCG.

1. You'd hate to be defender next week. Buddy 5, Tippett 4, Goodes 3, Reid coulda woulda shoulda had 2. Delivery from our HB's and mids were sublime, we won't get the space next week but something resembling that service would go a long way.

2. Still the best bottom 6 in the comp, that culture the Bloods.

3. Heckling no-name players from the boundary was good fun. Poor 19 didn't know what hit him

1. There is no greater feeling than sitting back, with 15 mins to go, knowing the mighty Swans are going to the big dance.
2. I actually felt a bit sorry for the poor defenders going one-on-one with the Buddy show.
3. There is no greater club in the last 15 years than the Swans. What a credit to all involved including
Diehard fans.

Let's enjoy this week, every second.
And let's enjoy Port and Hawthorn tear each other apart.
Swan life is sweet.

1. There is no greater feeling than sitting back, with 15 mins to go, knowing the mighty Swans are going to the big dance.
2. I actually felt a bit sorry for the poor defenders going one-on-one with the Buddy show.
3. There is no greater club in the last 15 years than the Swans. What a credit to all involved including
Diehard fans.

Let's enjoy this week, every second.
And let's enjoy Port and Hawthorn tear each other apart.
Swan life is sweet.

1. Kennedy hits his bootstraps the week before the gf. We'll need him big time!
2. Rohan as a running half back is a spectacle that will draw fans for years to come.
3. What really impressed me is that there was no weak link whatsoever. What a complete team performance. Buddy was incredible. His goal assists are as important as his marking and kicking for goal.
4. Whether port or hawks, I think we are in for another thriller of a gf. Seems to come with the territory.

Absolute joy to watch :)

Absolutely love our young guns..... Rohan, Cunners, Lloydy, Luke, Rampe..... Tippett and buddy rag dolling their opponents..... Jets, macca and kieren easing us out of danger.... banners and jpk Putting their bodies on the line..... Pykey just gets better and better after dean cox towel led him up over in Perth.... Goodes..... ahhhh goodesy......

Hope we bring the same game next week..... nobody can stop that!

If we win the flag someone will need to talk eddie down--- if we lose watch the excitement of others guys! Will be unbearable

Brent harvey lol

Catch his little pathetic jibs before the game when they were doing the tipping Swans by $2m points the guy must be having a mother of a meltdown inside reckon he will lose it if we win the flag next week probably another "slip of the tongue"

1. Our mids are getting stronger each round
2. Rohan played amazingly. Well deserved game. Showed why he is in the side and deserves to be in the side
3. Parker for Norm Smith
4. Goal kicking to me still felt off but I'm a perfectionist.
5. Our ability to score from turn overs was wonderful
6. Amazing team game. Yes Parker and Buddy were the biggest "show stoppers" I guess. But everyone did their role in the game superbly.

1. Harry did a brilliant job on shutting down Harvey.
2. Goodes best performance for the year to date.
3. Saw the one and only free paid for the season, for a supposed deliberately rushed behind..(of course it has to go against Sydney)

1. We're being coached to perfection. Everyone knows their roles, like jigsaw pieces coming together in the form of teamwork.

2. As Horse said post game, Goodes was running on top of the grass. A dry surface makes such a difference to his mobility.

3. Not too much excitement by the players at the final siren and post game. A good sign.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Brilliant performance that topped off a great year...so far, anyway. Biggest win & finals margin, this is surely the best Swans side/list in our history so far? Certainly our most dominant season, just need to top it off next week & given our recent grand final history better get on the heart meds this week. Really our only weakness is our goal-kicking (providing Reid and Grundy are ok, of course), but we've been good enough to easily overcome that so far. Just need that to be a bit tidier in that area next week.

2. Some great individual efforts, Kennedy was outstanding (especially when the game was hot early) Parker, Jack excellent too. Cunningham did another fantastic shut down role (the final stat could of 19 flatters Harvey a lot, had no impact). McGlynn good, Rohan, best game at the level - hopefully these 2 are rewarded with a premiership.

3. Most pleasing though was our 'tall structure', functioned beautifully last night - has quite a few other times this year as well obviously - but was still probably the best example yet -had Reid nailed those 2 shots it would've been even better too. All 4 got really involved, and if all 4 click again next week, we win the flag, no question :) - well unless they all have one of their 'wayward' days in front of goal which they all are prone to at times - but that's the only question.

1. Brilliant performance that topped off a great year...so far, anyway. Biggest win & finals margin, this is surely the best Swans side/list in our history so far? Certainly our most dominant season, just need to top it off next week & given our recent grand final history better get on the heart meds this week. Really our only weakness is our goal-kicking (providing Reid and Grundy are ok, of course), but we've been good enough to easily overcome that so far. Just need that to be a bit tidier in that area next week.

2. Some great individual efforts, Kennedy was outstanding (especially when the game was hot early) Parker, Jack excellent too. Cunningham did another fantastic shut down role (the final stat could of 19 flatters Harvey a lot, had no impact). McGlynn good, Rohan, best game at the level - hopefully these 2 are rewarded with a premiership.

3. Most pleasing though was our 'tall structure', functioned beautifully last night - has quite a few other times this year as well obviously - but was still probably the best example yet -had Reid nailed those 2 shots it would've been even better too. All 4 got really involved, and if all 4 click again next week, we win the flag, no question :) - well unless they all have one of their 'wayward' days in front of goal which they all are prone to at times - but that's the only question.

I cant watch another close one :(

Dawww, i was going to troll the Norf board, but they're such a bunch of sad sacks now.

I guess being brought back down to earth with a thud will do that to you.

1. Goodes has shut down his detractors in the finals. Cooked my arse. He's playing until 2097 if he wants.
2 Rohan shut down his detractors too
3. Yay mighty mouse
4. Shame Boomer couldn't play. He might have made it a closer game

1 : Another scalp for Harry
2 : Garys defensive side was outstanding like his attack ( towelled Black at times )
3 : Jacks kicking looked much better
4 : Teddy was Shaky
5 : Look what happens when we isolate our big forwards
6 : Lloyds decision making and foot skills are 2nd to none.
7 : Reid looked much better but his set shots were poor.
8 : Pressure is the main game.

1. Goodesy did what great players and leaders do & stood up when it counted most. Here's hoping he plays as well next week. What a champ.

2. Just like that period leading into 2012, our young players & "bottom 8" are really standing up owning their spots & playing their roles to perfection. What was once a young Smith, Jack or Hanners is now a young Rohan, Lloyd or Rampe. I have so much faith in our recruiters to deliver year after year. It's been an amazing decade and long may it continue for a decade more (at this rate anyway).

3. We're in another Grand Final!!!! Yep, we are possibly the most spoilt, lucky and privledged fans in Australian sport. GF's don't just roll around very often. A team like ours doesn't just happen either. We all should sit back and look at what we have and were our club is right now... Sit back & really enjoy it crew. It beats the early 90's that's for damn sure!

Enjoy the build up everyone & good luck getting to the game if you've put your hat in the ring. Let the nerves commence!

A few thoughts:

Gary Rohan not only played a great offensive game but whenever he was on Aaron Black he was brilliant and playing on any of the other small forwards in North's front half he was great too. When Ziebell pushed forward, Rampe shifted on to him and Rohan took the taller Black but had no problems whatsoever. A genuinely complete game.

Rampe on Black and Ziebell did his job superbly again.

McVeigh's role was interesting. He ran with Nick Dal Santo all night and had 15 touches himself while Dal Santo had 24 with relatively little impact. They seemed to cancel each other out for the most part.

Mike Pyke played another very solid game, completely nullifying Goldstein's potential for huge impact. Having a very good back half of the year is Pyke.

I feel Kieren Jack's last month or so has gone a little unnoticed too. He hasn't had a year like 2013 (partly due to carrying that rib injury, I'm sure) but he has been a very solid contributor every week behind the consistently huge outputs of Parker and Kennedy. Still tackling fiercely (I loved him throwing McDonald into the umpiring staff in the first quarter), running hard both ways and doing his job as ever. He's not getting much attention but if he's outside the top 10 in the Skilton, I'd be very surprised. Another quality year that, given he is healthier in 2015, he will improve upon in the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back