AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Anyone know anything about Tuck?

Hawks dilemma over sons of guns
18 November 2003 Herald Sun
Mark Stevens

HAWTHORN is grappling with delicate draft calls on the sons of club legends Michael Tuck and Don Scott.

Both Shane Tuck and Doug Scott are being considered by the Hawks as mature-age picks in Saturday's national draft.

"They're not out of our calculations," Hawthorn football manager John Hook said yesterday.

"It will all come down to what happens on the day."

The Hawks have just three picks -- 25, 41 and 51 -- and must decide whether to use either or both of their final choices on Tuck and Scott.

Tuck, in particular, has attracted the interest of rival clubs. It is understood both Port Adelaide and Richmond are showing more than a passing interest in the hard-nosed 21-year-old midfielder.

Scott, who at 194cm is taller than his father, is an athletic key defender who surged to prominence with Box Hill in the VFL this year. But at 24, he is too old to be rookie-listed. Saturday will probably be his last shot at an AFL career.

Tuck was a standout at the draft camp, recording a standing vertical jump of 87cm, clearly the highest in testing.

The Hawks did not have the option of taking Tuck at pick No. 41 under the father-son rule as the AFL ruled he was ineligible because he spent an injury-riddled two years on the club's rookie list in 2000-2001.

Tuck finished top 10 in the SANFL's Magarey Medal this year, emerging as a key player for the Shaun Rehn-coached West Adelaide.

He won glowing reviews from David Parkin, who was regularly at West Adelaide last season in a mentor's role to Rehn.

"David gave some very positive feedback about Shane's progress," Hawthorn recruiting manager John Turnbull said.

If overlooked, Tuck appears certain to be given another stint on the rookie list at Glenferrie Oval.

The Hawks passed up the opportunity to take Scott with their third draft choice as an automatic father-son selection, but have been impressed by his improvement after crossing from suburban club Donvale.

They made an unsuccessful plea to the AFL for the introduction of a mature-age rookie qualification with Scott in mind.

There is a theory that Shane Tuck is a late developer, like his father.

Michael Tuck played 50 reserves games for the Hawks, but finished with a league record of 426 senior games.

This was from the Adelaide Advertiser in September

Jack-of-all-trades Tuck happy to tackle Eagles
By ZAC MILBANK
25sep03

SHANE Tuck is just pleased to be playing football . . . let alone be involved in this year's finals series.

Lured to West Adelaide in summer, the athletic utility missed the entire season last year with dreaded osteitis pubis. And on Tuesday night, Tuck managed to overcome the prospect of being rubbed out for the preliminary final after receiving a reprimand at the SANFL tribunal.

"I just want to get a senior game each week," Tuck, 21, said. "I've been pretty happy at Westies. Everyone's made me feel really welcome. Now I'm looking forward to Sunday because it will top the year off but we can't say we've had a good year until we get a win on the board." After polling 11 Magarey Medal votes, Tuck proved he is an eye-catching player but the damage he threatens to create on Sunday could be worth the wait.

Deceptively tall, Tuck (190 cm) can play in a variety of positions but more importantly he is difficult for the opposition coach to match-up on.

"From where I sit he's been an influential player for them," Central coach Roy Laird said. "Not only his size aspect but I think his natural football ability is underestimated.

"I've seen he works really hard. He's got good skills and he can play forward or in the midfield." But what does he think about his natural ability to play in just about any position?

"I've read that a couple of times in the paper," said Tuck, who was on Hawthorn's rookie list in 2000 and 2001 (his father Michael played a record 426 games for the Hawks). "That's what people tend to say about me but I'm just thankful for what I've got I suppose."

Tuck is equally proficient when the ball is on the ground as he is when it's in the air, something he has shown with an occasional stint in ruck. At various stages this season, he has decided to throw his body into the contest and lend a hand by thumping the ball in his team's direction.

"We lost Marshy (ruckman Ben Marsh) early on with his bad knee," Tuck said. "Sometimes we get beaten in the ruck without him and I just try to help out the other ruckmen a bit." Taking on this responsibility speaks volumes about how naturally Tuck thinks about the game in the heat of battle.

"I just started doing it one week and it seemed to all fall into place," Tuck admitted. "Rehnny (coach Shaun Rehn) said to do it but not all the time - whenever Dobba's (Brad Dabrowski) a bit out of breath."

Rehn's respect for Tuck not only as a player but a member of the community was evident at the tribunal when he spoke about his recruit with passion.

"I believe in him very strongly," Rehn said. "I first knew him at Hawthorn and recruiting him here was great for me. He just plays the ball and he does it under a fair bit of duress."

If he's half as good as his old man, might be worth a punt - that would mean 213 games for us:D

Still, hope we don'e come unS.Tuck with this one.

Sorry:(

I've seen him play for West Ad on foxtel and I liked the look of him. He had a big leap (eg marks and "third-man up" ruck situations like Adam Simpson does) and went in pretty hard. Not overly skilled, but not bad. Seemed to get to the pack situations on a regular basis, so endurance was good.

It didn't take long for opposition SANFL sides to put a tag on Shane Tuck. He had an excellent season for West Adelaide, finishing third in their B & F, despite missing some early games. He's certainly better than many others mentioned as draft possibilities.

Re: get 'em

Originally posted by Rodan#18.
Both sound good.

They'll go well with Mick Ablett, Zantuck, Roachy, Bowdo, Richo and Moore.

8 kids with good pedigrees.
Nepotism anyone?

Who did Moore's father play with? Not any relation to the Hawthorn bloke?

The kid has talent that's for sure. Had a stellar season with the Westies, and would be a good pick up. Goes like a young Daniel Harford, lotsa pace, strong mark, brill kick.

Originally posted by TigerGirl_3
The kid has talent that's for sure. Had a stellar season with the Westies, and would be a good pick up. Goes like a young Daniel Harford, lotsa pace, strong mark, brill kick.

Ohh nooo! Please don't put the mozz on him TigerGirl...

Daniel Harford? Lots of Pace? :confused:

Please refrain from picking Tuck up if he has equivalent pace of Danny Harford. Only my opinion and l hate to disagree with tiger supporters (bar Caro), but l dont think we want anyone that is remotely similar to this hack.

When Tuck was on our rookie list a few years ago, he played up forward as a KP or flanker. Sadly, injuries marred his time on the rookie list and he was let go.

I do think he could make it, but it's hard to say.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I met Kelvin Moore's dad at a BBQ - he is definitely not Kelvin Moore from Hawthorn lol.

And a Melbourne supporter to boot.

I asked the obvious question about Kelvin's name - and he said they liked the name, and thought by the time he was old enough people would have forgotten about the Hawks Kelvin Moore.

I guess they didn't lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back