Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 8, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs
Hey guys and gals,

It's been a big week in football and with everyone calling for the inclusion of extra time, I thought the bigger issue should be premiership medallions. I personally think that every player should recieve a premiership medallion if they have been part of a premiership team, granted that they have played a certain amount of games for the year, say 5 or so.

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers

Hey guys and gals,

It's been a big week in football and with everyone calling for the inclusion of extra time, I thought the bigger issue should be premiership medallions. I personally think that every player should recieve a premiership medallion if they have been part of a premiership team, granted that they have played a certain amount of games for the year, say 5 or so.

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers

I totally agree. How can you have played in a grand final, your team win the premiership and you not get a medal?

I totally agree. How can you have played in a grand final, your team win the premiership and you not get a medal?

Exactly right mate, i think it is the saddest part of the grand final seeing guys who have missed out celebrating with team-mates. Has to be changed aslong as they have played an x amountof games, similar to the premier league.

No - and as a player I wouldn't want one either if I missed out.

The standard line to players who are injured or dropped of 'you were part of the team' is rubbish.

Unless you are one of the 22 out on the ground who 'went to war' on the day you aren't part of the Premiership team.

If I received one it would well and truly be put in the bottom of the drawer

eg: 'Wow, Grandpa - what's this medal. Did you play in a Premiership ??'

'Well boy - not exactly ???' :eek::eek:

The standard line to players who are injured or dropped of 'you were part of the team' is rubbish.

Unless you are one of the 22 out on the ground who 'went to war' on the day you aren't part of the Premiership team.

What if you have contributed to the team? The days of having a settled 22 are gone, and in this day and age sides experience more line-up changes than ever. I don't think you can say that players don't deserve the medal just because they weren't in the 22 for the big game.

I was in this boat this year myself and to be honest, I agree with you. I warmed up before the game and got in the team photo with the boys, having played the last 7 games and been dropped for the GF and I tried to keep my spirits up, but it didn't feel as good as being out there. I have my medal and it is special because our team won, but I'll definitely won't have it proudly presented in my living room or anything like that.
On the other side of the coin though, I think the medals should go out if you played a certain amount of games, because you did help the team get to where they are.

What if you have contributed to the team? The days of having a settled 22 are gone, and in this day and age sides experience more line-up changes than ever. I don't think you can say that players don't deserve the medal just because they weren't in the 22 for the big game.

I'd canvas players who have been legitimately dropped prior to a GF (not young guys who didn't expect to play) and see if they would want the medal.

Maybe it's just me but I'd more likely react like Chris Langford who, after being left out of Grand Final team, jumped in his car and drove down to Sorrento.

Did you see the video of Josh Fraser in the stands on Saturday ? Do you think he felt part of the team ??

I'd canvas players who have been legitimately dropped prior to a GF (not young guys who didn't expect to play) and see if they would want the medal.

Maybe it's just me but I'd more likely react like Chris Langford who, after being left out of Grand Final team, jumped in his car and drove down to Sorrento.

Did you see the video of Josh Fraser in the stands on Saturday ? Do you think he felt part of the team ??

Thats my point exactly. If Josh Fraiser was likely to be getting a medal he would feel like he was part of the team. Remember Matthew Primus crying when Port won? Surely he deserved a medal. I think we punish those who miss out by excluding them on the biggest day in Australian sport when they should feel apart of it for the commitment they have shown to the club and the game.

Exactly right mate, i think it is the saddest part of the grand final seeing guys who have missed out celebrating with team-mates. Has to be changed aslong as they have played an x amountof games, similar to the premier league.

its not under 15s.

if you're not part of the GF squad thats too bad.

this week is an anomaly so players from both weeks should get one but in general.......na.

In the case of a tied GF, i think absolutely yes. Those who played in the first game are a part of the final result of the GF, and directly involved in their teams win. Essentially, they have been involved in 4 qrts of an 8 qrt game. In any other circumstance outside of a tied GF, i would say keep things as they are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

its not under 15s.

if you're not part of the GF squad thats too bad.

this week is an anomaly so players from both weeks should get one but in general.......na.

Exactly. If you dont play in the winning game, why would you get a medal? To make them feel better? I doubt players not playing would want one anyway. What did they do to deserve it? Play in a drawn game? You dont see people celebrating a drawn game in the H&A games, so why would you get something positive for doing nothing?

The players arent little kids.

Exactly. If you dont play in the winning game, why would you get a medal? To make them feel better? I doubt players not playing would want one anyway. What did they do to deserve it? Play in a drawn game? You dont see people celebrating a drawn game in the H&A games, so why would you get something positive for doing nothing?

The players arent little kids.

I didn't mean the drawn game, I ment that all players who have been a part of the season deserve a premiership medal. I thought it would be a nice touch and similar to what they do in other sports provided the players have played a number of games throughout the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back