Time to bannish old Bullgods- Faz

Remove this Banner Ad

Old Bulldogs? I think it's crap personally. It's an easy response that doesn't have substance or value.

Real solutions need to come from coaching staff and players, like "We were down on contested possessions today".

The analogy is with North Melbourne, and the good old, cliched "Shinboner spirit". It's alive and well when they win and when they lose it's "where is it?"

A throw back from a past era, that doesn't have any relevance today.

Yeah sounds like a bit of a cop out to me.

The only way to fix the problem, is through on field performaces, not with talk of the Bulldogs "of old".

Harmless comments, I think he's referring to the dogs of last year, rather than previous eras. I take it as the suggestion that the 'new' bulldogs are winners and never give in, whereas at the end of last year we dropped the bundle on several occaisions.

I like the final quote,

"It was our worst loss for the season and we'll bounce back and get on the training track on Monday and hopefully be back to normal."

Back to normal as in winning.

To those saying his response is crap or a cop out: what should or could he have said? We thought the loss was funny? :confused:

It's just as simple to say "we need to beat them by fixing some things" or "we need to win more contested ball" or "we need to score more points than they do".

i don't think he spent all yesterday thinking about his answers though.

To those saying his response is crap or a cop out: what should or could he have said? We thought the loss was funny? :confused:

So Mofra, If I asked you for the reason(s) why the Bulldogs lost a game, would your response be "It was the Old Bulldogs"?

Now, I don't expect Bulldog coaches and players to divulge their plans and tactics in public, but I would have liked if Farren said, "We have identified our weaknesses and errors are we are confident of improving on our performance next week/the next time we play (insert team).

My initial comment was that the "Old Bulldogs" comment was meaningless.

And Mofra if Farren said he thought it was funny that we lost a game, I would be furious. So no, I don't think he should have said that.

Maybe meaningless, but most football players when asked questions give meaningless responses. I actually got the feeling from the interview that Ray and the team are hurting a lot(Besides the obvious quotes that reflect that I think Ray was trying to show they really are). Which is good. They get a chance for some semi-redemption this week.

Good to see Ray getting a bit of media time as well. It's not a bad thing when players aren't, but he's a young guy showing a bit of maturity.

In my mind the 'Old Bulldogs' term refer's to when player's going to self preservation mode. They stop doing the team things and start worrying about kick chasing so that there on individual tellies rather than thinking about what selfless acts they can do to make the team perform better.

There were signs of that again on Saturday, signs which really haven't been there all year.

He should've come out and said 'we meant it - jokes on you guys come September when we decide to put in 4 quarters... get the cup ready now...'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like that I don't know about you guys but good on Faz showing some passion for the club and telling us the whole team was very disappointed with that loss and want to make amends.

I hope that loss sticks in all their minds for the remainder of the year.

So Mofra, If I asked you for the reason(s) why the Bulldogs lost a game, would your response be "It was the Old Bulldogs"?
No - but it wasn't Farren's either, so I'm not sure why you're so upset.
He described the loss as unacceptable & said the team needed to show more character than that.
The "old Bulldogs" comment was merely a reference point.

Now, I don't expect Bulldog coaches and players to divulge their plans and tactics in public, but I would have liked if Farren said, "We have identified our weaknesses and errors are we are confident of improving on our performance next week/the next time we play (insert team).
So "We've got to show more character than that" isn't valid enough for you? What about the 99% of the article where he talked about what went wrong?

My initial comment was that the "Old Bulldogs" comment was meaningless.
Did you read the title and ignore the body of the article? :confused:

If a footballer (or someone else assocciated with a club) saying some hollow, meaningless, cliched things in the media is reason for debate, then this argument will come up on 10 threads a week, and that's just for the dogs board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back