Moved Thread Time to stamp out the use of 'interstate sides'

Remove this Banner Ad

but it's not really about how the average Joe in Melbourne refers to them

it's about how the non-Vic sides are referred to 'interstate' when on a nationally syndicated tv show or official game telecast

Bingo.

That’s where we need to see change.

How often do we watch nationally televised games involving the SA, NSW, Wa or QLD teams and the commentators are all Vics and generally know absolutely nothing about the other team playing. Heck half the time they don’t even know the players even as a starting point.

To ensure we get better national recognition, there needs to be better representation when our teams are involved.

Bingo.

That’s where we need to see change.

How often do we watch nationally televised games involving the SA, NSW, Wa or QLD teams and the commentators are all Vics and generally know absolutely nothing about the other team playing. Heck half the time they don’t even know the players even as a starting point.

To ensure we get better national recognition, there needs to be better representation when our teams are involved.

but no one cares about Port

Totally agree with the OP. Nothing wrong with referring to clubs as either Victorian or Non Victorian. If you're not from Victoria, there are 16 interstate clubs.

I agree OP, from now on Port, Adelaide, WC, freo, GWS, GC, Brisbane and Sydney should be referred to as the National clubs and the remainders as those from that little SE corner.
I like this take. Instead of interstate teams, call them national teams.
National teams that were brought into to create a National competition out of a Victorian competition made up of Victorian teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess that if its AFL history that counts only, why do we still refer to Geelong and Melbourne being the oldest clubs in Australia? No AFL competition back in the mid 1800's?

To be honest I don't think we should include any stats from the old VFL competition, especially not premierships. Premiership tallies should begin in 1990 at the earliest. What happened in 1937 or whatever when it was a Victorian competition and more importantly an amateur competition really should not matter.

Richmond and Geelong did all Victorians a favour.

By winning that premiership last year in Brisbane and contesting that Grand Final as an all Victorian affair, all interstate supporters STFU and have found stupid things to complain about, like this thread.

Sydney beat West Coast at the MCG in 2005. No disadvantage playing in a state other than your own when you are playing against a team who also had to come from a different state. You are misunderstanding why non-Victorian fans do not like that the Grand Final is always in Victoria.

Geez I get tired of writing this..but I’ll say it again

This elite Australian Rules Football competition is a VFL league with invited guest clubs joining who are privileged to be accepted.

Since 1897

So stop crying and get over it you bunch of babies
theres already one …Port Power

You know…that entity who pretend they are connected to the original SANFL club Port Adelaide Magpies and try their very best to get everyone else to accept their deluded dream of adding Port Adelaide’s 30 something flags to their own lonely cabinet
Australian game…Victorian league 🌝
In name only

We’ve been through this before
the whole port power thing is one big fraudulent mess

they don’t even know themselves who they are
no masquerades ..it’s fact

The fixture and everything else revolves around the numerous Victorian clubs and the 3 main stadiums there
ridiculous trolling
you mean “ their deluded, moronic supporters”
You’re being totally ridiculous. Wake up to yourself.
Read your history. The reason the league survived is because all Victorian clubs agreed to be under the same umbrella and be administered together by a commission responsible for all aspects of the league.

Not because WC sold some jumpers or the Crows sold a lot of hotdogs at AO.
yeah nah..I don’t think so petal
You know you left the PA magpies behind and now you want it all back in the same cozy bed

Pathetic
I live in Perth. I’m really happy the GF is here because I’ll be going to the game and drinking smuggled in whiskey while you tap away on BF sucking your thumb.
yeah that’s not correct there buddy

You need to read up on the history of the league and educate yourself

Otherwise you just sound dumb
they only sell craft beer and bulleit bourbon at Optus

It’s not ideal
but no one cares about Port
yeah right ..foundation club..16 flags..keeper of the two biggest event games outside the GF

don’t be a dimwit and embarrass yourself
lol …is that all you got ?

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

can't wait until we get our first non-binary team

Have you not heard of Hawthorn? They are non-binary, non-Victorian, and homeground fluid.

I think 'interstate sides' is a good reminder that it is in fact still a Melbourne competition, and we have a ways to go if we're going to get to a real national competition. Ideally there would only be two sides per state. Maybe four at the most in Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back