Recommitted Toby Nankervis [ Re-Signed until 2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Unfortunately can see Toby moving elsewhere for opportunity come the end of the year. Hopefully he hangs around but we can't afford to be playing both Soldo and Nank one on, one off every game. Takes up a useful rotation. Coleman-Jones is a legit forward-ruck so he and Soldo/Nank would make more sense.

At his best is an aggressive workhorse who can accumulate plenty of the footy and take big marks. However he has struggled to show this since he hurt his groin.

Good fit for Cats? Whats he worth?

We got 44 and 62 for Witts. If he is to spend the year out of the side, I'd probably think something around that mark.

No idea how much he's worth but I think with centre bounces being more valuable with the new 6-6-6 rules it negatively affects Nank's value. I mean you can see it with the tiges selection Soldo isn't anywhere near as good around the ground as Nank but at some point you have to give your mids first use.

Would consider him for the right price as a Bellchambers replacement and hope his size and aggression adds a physical edge to the Essendon midfield.

No idea how much he's worth but I think with centre bounces being more valuable with the new 6-6-6 rules it negatively affects Nank's value. I mean you can see it with the tiges selection Soldo isn't anywhere near as good around the ground as Nank but at some point you have to give your mids first use.

Would consider him for the right price as a Bellchambers replacement and hope his size and aggression adds a physical edge to the Essendon midfield.
Yeah fair enough. Not many two time premiership rucks getting around...

Soldo has only played 20 odd games and his first game of aussie rules 5 or 6 years ago. Should only get better.

Unfortunately can see Toby moving elsewhere for opportunity come the end of the year. Hopefully he hangs around but we can't afford to be playing both Soldo and Nank one on, one off every game. Takes up a useful rotation. Coleman-Jones is a legit forward-ruck so he and Soldo/Nank would make more sense.

At his best is an aggressive workhorse who can accumulate plenty of the footy and take big marks. However he has struggled to show this since he hurt his groin.

Looking at just pick swap.

A player outside of a best 22 that is uncontracted isn’t worth much.

Yeah fair enough. Not many two time premiership rucks getting around...
Two-time premiership player won't help his stocks when he's just a role player. If Soldo is picked ahead of him for most of the year, you lose leverage.

Nathan Vardy went for Pick 72 and Hickey for (basically) Pick 37.

Somewhere in between those two?
Hickey went for 39 + Eagles 2019 4th in return for Hickey + 60 + Saints 2019 4th.

Considering the Eagles had just won the flag, it was basically a big upgrade on their 4th, plus downgrading 39 to 60. Placed Hickey's value around the 50s in the end

Soldo/Lynch did enough the other night. We wont be going back to two ruckmen, we only did that last year because neither Soldo or Chol were ready. We aren't the sort of club to ask for overs for a player that cant get in the team. So if he hasn't got the number 1 ruck spot back by the end of the year he just has to find a club and he will get there cheaply.

we will need a decent ruck at years end I'd say. he's no world beater but he is decent and fairly durable. late 2nd/early 3rd would be around the mark I would have thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong is the only team I can think of that really needs a ruck. Maybe Freo?

freo is fairly invested in Darcy I think.
Essendon could use one post bellchambers (Phillips is just a backup) and Sydney could if naismith keeps getting injured. maybe gws post Jacobs/Mumford (although they may think Briggs is the guy) but if you look at Geelong offering Goldstein 4 years last year and Stanley being 30 we are probably the club that will go hardest for a ruck.

Last edited:
You could describe Jacob Townsend as a Premiership KPF doesn’t mean he holds any value

Nankervis played a lot of games in the successful 17-19 period. Not only the number one but won a flag with grigg incredible effort

At 25 has a lot of value with many teams having dodgy ruck stocks. Expect a bidding war

freo is fairly invested in Darcy I think.
Essendon could use one post bellchambers (Phillips is just a backup) and Sydney could if naismith keeps getting injured. maybe gws post Jacobs/Milford (although they may think Briggs is the guy) but if you look at Geelong offering Goldstein 4 years last year and Stanley being 30 we are probably the club that will go hardest for a ruck.
Bulldogs? English is looking more and more like a spud and at least needs help

Any examples that show a precedent for this expected bidding war?

There is none. However, the names being mentioned in this thread like Hickey don't hold a candle to Nank.

Nankervis was a top 6 or 7 ruckman last year without injuries. Geelong, Fremantle, Bulldogs, Giants, and Hawthorn will all be interested.

There is none. However, the names being mentioned in this thread like Hickey don't hold a candle to Nank.

Nankervis was a top 6 or 7 ruckman last year without injuries. Geelong, Fremantle, Bulldogs, Giants, and Hawthorn will all be interested.

Top 6 or 7 based on what?

You can’t be both behind Soldo and have a high trade value it doesn’t compute.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back