#28 Toby Thurstans

09_toby_thurstans_246a.jpg

Height: 196

Weight: 95

Date of Birth: 14th August 1980

Nickname: Catdog

Position: Tall Defender

SANFL Club: Sturt

Recruited From: Dandenong U18 (Pick 39 in the 1998 National Draft)

Career Games: 110 (63 wins, 1 draw, 46 losses)

Career Goals: 55

Honours:
  • 2004 Premiership Side
  • PAFC Best First Year Player 2003

For more career stats click here.

More info on Toby Thurstans

Thurstans was drafted from the Dandenong Stingrays at selection 39 in the 1998 National AFL Draft. He couldn't get a game and played in SANFL with Sturt until his debut for Port in 2003. The following season he won a premiership and was one of the Grand Final heroes with 3 goals.

In 2005 and 2006, Toby struggled to find good form and was used as trade bait. Fortunately for Thurstans, he was kept and now plays in a defensive role and a back up tap ruckman. Thurstans played all matches for Port Adelaide in the 2007 AFL Season, starring in his new role as a defender.

Re: #28 Toby Thurstans

2007 Season Stats

25 Games

145 Kicks 124 Marks 162 H.Balls
307 Disp

0 Goals 1 Bhd

30 H.O.
56 Tack
18 FrF 22 FrA

Re: 28 Toby Thurstans

Guys

Noticed big Tob, has been lkilling it in Super Coach the last two weeks, before that he has not played since early on in the season, is he coming back from injury or is he in for The Chad and will potentially be dropped when he comes back?

cheers

Has not been injured this year as far as I can recall. Been playing well in the local league. Has appeared to have fallen out favour this year due to the good form of Carlile and Chaplin in the key defensive spots.

Round 11 gainst Freo he was brought in to play CHB in order to free Troy Chaplin up for a run with role on Pavlich.

Round 12 Alipate Carlile was out injured so stayed in the side.

Played pretty well in both games so it's hard to say whether he'll retain his spot when Carlile is fit again.

Not part of our next premiership group.

There is not one positive in playing him next year over Trengove, no matter how unprepared Trengove may be for AFL level.

Needs to be delisted or given the chance to retire.

yeppers ... Toby had too many brain fades tonite ... ok some young one's can be saved but not Toby ...

so long cat-dog ... a loyal club man but your time has come!

With Trengove coming up there shouldn't be any requirement to retain toby although if pettigrew doesn't come good tobes may survive as a depth player...

I am completely sick of this ****ing useless, lazy hack stinking up our side for all of last year and the latter part of this year. He's a 29 year old untalented, lazy and dumb player who unbalances our backline by making it far too tall, there is ZERO justification for him ever playing for our club again. I've been ranting all over this board about this, but I'm just so pissed off that this is allowed to continue. Rant over.

LOL! I duhnno if any of you remember the showdown, Tobias' efforts at 7:25 of the final qtr.
Was looking at the scoreboard and his direct opponent ran right around him and goaled and he didnt even know it was happnening until the crowd started going off.

Re: 2 more years for Chad?

had a s**t year this year but we know what he is capable of
just hasnt been the same since he busted his finger

im happy to see how he goes next year and if he can break back into the team and get some good form back i would be happy to see him play on into 2012

We need to get the kids going no doubt but we cant lose all of our experience
In 12 months we have lost 2x Burgoynes, Lade, Tredrea and Carr

Brogan is 31, Cornes is 30 and then Motlop is 28, Cassisi and Kane are 27 so its not like we have too many blokes coming towards the end of their careers due to age

You forgot Thurstans. Contributed more than Carr over the last 5 years ! :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Toby Thurstans was so under appreciated by the larger Port Adelaide populous it's criminal.

I loved Toby. For what it would have cost to have kept him, I'm surprised we let him go. I spose it came down to an extra spot on the list for a kid/trade.

Chad would be of similar cost as he'd be on the veterans list. Brogan could take the Pawnbrokers spot depending on his dollars.

Port didn't let Toby go, he retired because he felt mentally and physically he couldn't keep up with AFL demands any longer.

Put me down as an unashamed Toby fan, when he was first starting out I used to refer to him as Gooby Thurstans. He earnt my respect over the years and I think he was a better defender than what Carlile and Chaplin were at the time.

Toby was lazy and nowhere near good enough to afford to be. I'm glad he's gone.
I'm deadly serious morell and I'm appalled by this opinion gopower. By no means was he a world beater but he was unfairly maligned for the most of his career without just cause. The reality is that before he retired his form actually got better.

That doesn't mean I am a Toby Thurstans fan club leader more I appreciate that as a swingman he was decent enough and was under appreciated because of his laconic style.

He was on our list for 10 years and in my opinion only two of them were decent ('04 and '09). The rest were somewhere between average and crap. I never rated him and I never will. If you disagree, that's your prerogative.
Well I'll be the bearer of delivering the news to you that your opinion is misinformed and ludicrous at best. It's not about "rating" it's about "recognizing" a fair contribution.

Just because an opinion is different to yours doesn't make it ludicrous. The way I see it, Toby contributed more bad games to Port than good ones. If you disagree, once again that's your prerogative.
I'm sure you won't be able to construct a compelling argument as to which were poor and which were good so I'll respectfully gloss over your ill advised opinion for the reasons stated in my initial Thurstans post.

I'm not going to go through every game he ever played. But in general, he wasn't particularly mobile, he was lazy (often jogging along behind a leading forward who was 5-10 metres in front of him) was prone to missing more spoils than the average defender and had suspect disposal. He started to rectify some of these problems in his last year, which was good, until he undid all of his good work by falling massively into old habits against Freo and getting smashed by Kepler Bradley of all people.

There's nothing uninformed about my opinion, I would've watched at least 90% of his games. Once again, different to your opinion does not equal uninformed. That's something you need to learn.
Uninformed.. fine then I'll put it blatantly. Your opinion is incorrect and I'll leave it at that given your judgement is clouded because of your perceived notion of Toby's "style". Totally under appreciated and you've demonstrated why.

No, it's different. Get over yourself.
It is criminal how poorly Toby is celebrated for a fair career (something which you seem incapable of recognizing). Nobody is saying he was a champion but a fair player.

* edit we'll just agree to disagree on Sword.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back