Summer Tokyo 2021 - Track Cycling

Remove this Banner Ad

Please remove if it doesn't warrant a thread, but I love the track cycling at the games. Possibly because you never see it televised any other team.

Women's team sprint today, and qualification for the teams pursuit.

Last edited:
Matthew Glaetzer was in line to have a big olympics in 2020 but cancer got in the way, then covid hit and delayed things and gives him a big chance to contend in the kerin and Team Sprint.

Still, despite not having raced for two years, Glaetzer will soon line up at the Izu Velodrome for the first of his events, the Team Sprint, confident in his preparation and with the benefit of a whole new perspective for his third Olympics.

“It's been a really tough two years for me,” said Glaetzer from Tokyo in the days leading into his first event. “I've had to overcome a lot. The cancer diagnosis turned my world upside down and then I tore my calf, had tendonitis issues and all the way through managing things hurt my neck.

6 events each for men and women in 7 days.

DateEvent (Finals)
August 2, 2021Track Day 1 (Team Sprint W)
August 3, 2021Track Day 2 (Team Sprint M, Team Pursuit W)
August 4, 2021Track Day 3 (Team Pursuit M)
August 5, 2021Track Day 4 (Keirin W, Omnium M)
August 6, 2021Track Day 5 (Madison W, Sprint M)
August 7, 2021Track Day 6 (Madison M)
August 8, 2021Track Day 7 (Sprint W, Omnium W, Keirin M)

Last edited:
6 events each for men and women in 7 days.

DateEvent (Finals)
August 2, 2021Track Day 1 (Team Sprint W)
August 3, 2021Track Day 2 (Team Sprint M, Team Pursuit W)
August 4, 2021Track Day 3 (Team Pursuit M)
August 5, 2021Track Day 4 (Keirin W, Omnium M)
August 6, 2021Track Day 5 (Madison W, Sprint M)
August 7, 2021Track Day 6 (Madison M)
August 8, 2021Track Day 7 (Sprint W, Omnium W, Keirin M)
I miss the stand alone points race. That was awesome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I miss the stand alone points race. That was awesome.
I miss the kilo and the individual pursuit. They had to drop it as part of the gender equally stuff so they had to find events both men and women could do.

The omnium is a bit mickey mouse because pts for placing for each of the 5 races they do, doesn't allow for someone who is really dominate in 2 or 3 of the 5 events to build up a big lead over the others

I miss the kilo and the individual pursuit. They had to drop it as part of the gender equally stuff so they had to find events both men and women could do.

The omnium is a bit mickey mouse because pts for placing for each of the 5 races they do, doesn't allow for someone who is really dominate in 2 or 3 of the 5 events to build up a big lead over the others
Men and women both had individual pursuit and time trials. Was it the different distances that were objected to?

I'd love to bring back the kilo/500m, the individual pursuits, the points races and the scratch races. Need more for the endurance riders.

(I posted this in the other tread but I may as well put it in here as well)

I question the German teams performance, I've always held to the position that if something just doesn't make sense it should be held to suspicion.

There time is completely outrageous beating the previous world record of 4:10.236 by nearly 3 seconds and being 4 seconds better then anything they have produced in the past.

So, are the heats 1 v 8, 2 v7 etc? We ride against the Brits for a shot at Bronze?
From the Olympic website

Progression: The eight teams will be matched in the First Round as follows: The 6th fastest team against the 7th fastest team. The 5th fastest team against the 8th fastest team. The 2nd fastest team against the 3rd fastest team. The fastest team against the 4th fastest team.

From the Olympic website

Progression: The eight teams will be matched in the First Round as follows: The 6th fastest team against the 7th fastest team. The 5th fastest team against the 8th fastest team. The 2nd fastest team against the 3rd fastest team. The fastest team against the 4th fastest team.
Yeah, so we're done, medal-wise. Thanks.

The team pursuit at world champs have winner of 1st v 4th and 2nd v 3rd go through to gold matchup. Bronze matchup is next 2 quickest times, which could include teams from 5th-8th. Is the Olympics different? Germany won the bronze in world champs after qualifying 7th.

The team pursuit at world champs have winner of 1st v 4th and 2nd v 3rd go through to gold matchup. Bronze matchup is next 2 quickest times, which could include teams from 5th-8th. Is the Olympics different? Germany won the bronze in world champs after qualifying 7th.
Okay, so it's just another time trial out of the other 6 teams??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back