Summer Tokyo 2021 - Track & Field

Remove this Banner Ad

Kenyan dominance of steeplechase is over, but its a Moroccan not an Ethiopian who finally does it with a Kenyan 3rd.

Between 1968-2016 Kenya has won every gold they have competed for in this event. They boycotted Montreal because of NZ All Blacks playing South Africa and Canada not blocking them, and they boycotted Moscow with most of the rest of the western nations.

So who's the favourite in the women's 5,000m? Only names I recognise are Hassan and Obiri, but I don't exactly watch a lot of athletics
Rankings list

1627908337948.png

Hassan just killed it the last 250m. Left Obiri in her wake. There was plenty left in the tank after this mornings heroics.

1 down 2 to go in the amazing treble. No one will be able to match her kick in the 10,000m.

That US caller was boring as batshit. Want to hear Bruce call the last 600m.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bugger Nina Kennedy runs thru in her last attempt at 4.55 and is out of the comp and wont advance. Biggest underperformance so far by Aussie athlete so far in these games.

Hassan just killed it the last 250m. Left Obiri in her wake. There was plenty left in the tank after this mornings heroics.

1 down 2 to go in the amazing treble. No one will be able to match her kick in the 10,000m.

That US caller was boring as batshit. Want to hear Bruce call the last 600m.
Yeah I've noticed that when I've watched some of the coverage with US callers sound like they're about to fall asleep

Last edited:
Yeah I've noticed that when I've watched some of the coverage with US callers sound like they're about to fall asleep
Australia produces some of the best athletics callers in the English speaking because many have a horse racing calling background and Australian horse race callers are probably the best in the world because they can say a lot of words quickly. We tend to run our words into each other, we clip words and we don't have long hard A's and R's.

Bill Collins called Olympics on 7 in the 1960's and he was a race caller. Bruce started in Adelaide calling greyhounds and trotts before he got to call the horses and says Bill Collins was his hero/inspiration as a kid and wanted to be like him.

The late George Grljusich when at the ABC used to call the trots and did a bit of athletics for ABC. He did the athletics at the 1988 Olympics and won an international award, think from IAAF, for his call of the 100m in Seoul. He spoke 53 words and nine sentences in just under 10 seconds.

Peter Donegan who replaced Bruce for 9's call of 2012 Olympics athletics coverage, has called horse racing but on 10 for many years called the Stawell Gift easter long weekend event.

Terry McAuliffe is a race caller in Adelaide and Ch 9 have used him to call athletics at the Commonwealth Games in Auckland in 1990 and Melbourne 2006 and is very good. Boxing day in Adelaide we have the Bay Sheffield pro running meet, the equivalent of the Stawell gift over a couple of days. he has been the caller of since before he got the gig to call the Auckland Comm Games athletics.

Tim Lane is another good caller but he doesn't have a horse race calling background.

If you've ever listened to Americans call horse races, they are just as dull as the guy calling the athletics. A couple of Aussies have gone over there and have become callers on the racing networks. I watched the US trials from Eugene Oregon in June and Leigh Diffey ex Ch 10 Motorsports guy was the NBC race caller. He moved permanently to USA in 2013 to be their motorsports guy. I assume he is calling the athletics at the moment for NBC.

A couple of Australians are calling the horse racing in Hong Kong and done so for many years.

Peter Donegan who replaced Bruce for 9's call of 2012 Olympics athletics coverage, has called horse racing but on 10 for many years called the Stawell Gift easter long weekend event.
Peter Donergan is an absolute legend. His call of Bolt’s 100m win in Rio is one of the most perfect pieces of commentary of all time. It’s iconic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back