Traded Tom Hickey

Remove this Banner Ad

ST KILDA ruck Tom Hickey says he did not see his fall from grace coming, with a shoulder reconstruction last August souring a disappointing season.

In 2016, Hickey established himself as the club's premier big man ahead of Billy Longer.

There was debate within the club about who would have the spot leading into the following season but Hickey put that to rest with what he described as "probably one of the best games I've ever played" in the final JLT Community Series game against Sydney in Albury, racking up 29 disposals, 18 contested possessions and 39 hit-outs against Sam Naismith and Kurt Tippet.

An underwhelming first month of the season, combined with a back concern, saw him dropped, and he suffered a medial ligament injury in his left knee in his second game for Sandringham.

A calf injury followed before he hurt his right shoulder with two games left in the season. He had surgery days after St Kilda's campaign ended and returned to full training only in the last few weeks.

"I had a pretty bizarre, crappy year last year," Hickey told AFL.com.au.

Nothing went to plan.

"I copped a couple of injuries and then just really couldn't get my form back from that," Hickey said.

"When I did string four or five good games together, Billy was playing really well in the ones. Richo (coach Alan Richardson) says he's not going to change a team that's going all right."

The shoulder operation did create opportunity for the Queenslander though. Being confined to leg weights meant he added an extra kilogram or two on his lower body, much needed for a ruckman who is relatively light at 99kg.

"I could really work on leg strength, which has obviously been a deficiency of mine throughout my career with a lot of knee injuries and patella tendon issues," Hickey said.

Perhaps the low point of 2017 for Hickey came when he was recalled against Essendon in round 17 on a Friday night, with Longer felled by a hamstring injury.

He came into that clash too hyped up and likened his feelings to when he made his debut.

"I probably had the worst game of my career," Hickey said.

Ironically, some well-intentioned fans meant he was left in no doubt about how poorly he played.

"I did get a couple of private Instagram messages on my private account of people telling me to keep my head up and that it's one bad game. You know you've had an absolute shocker when people go out of their way to get around you and put a hand around your shoulder," Hickey said.

Longer returned the next week and Hickey was again demoted to the VFL.

"It was probably a blessing in disguise, because after that I probably strung about five really good games together," Hickey said.

The 26-year-old acknowledged he needs to become more consistent but believes he can do so.

I've had a really consistent pre-season load-wise. I've just trained non-stop ever since I had my shoulder. I didn't really get to go away – I went away for one week and hung around all off-season just trying to get it right," Hickey said.

"I'm as confident as I've been in my body."

Can’t wait for 2018 season.

Played well for Sandy , probably his best game in over a year . Hickey finished with 16 disposals and battled strongly as the sole ruckman pitted against AFL-listed Bulldogs’ Tom Campbell and Tom Boyd.

Some people might have written him off already but he will still have a chance to come back while the Saints are playing so poorly.

Go Sainters.

Tom Hickey is back.

The big man starred for the Saints in their thrilling draw with the Giants on Saturday afternoon.

Hickey’s stirring performance in the middle of the ground was critical for St Kilda, on a day where they rediscovered the manic pressure they’ve so desperately missed in recent weeks.

“It was just really good to get back playing our way, and playing the way we know we can”, he said.

“We can really hold our heads up high and try and use this as a turning point for the season.”

Close to best on ground, the 27-year-old collected 18 possessions in a dominant ruck display.

“I just had a really big focus on my follow-up and I try to use my run against those bigger ruckmen.”

The Saints were inspired under Hickey, and their hunger for the football was reminiscent of the intensity that toppled the Giants in the same fixture last year.

He produced the ultimate ruck performance, competing aggressively in the air and attacking the ball at ground level with all the enthusiasm of an on-baller, laying five tackles.

“We wanted to be known for our pressure and we have been for the last couple of years, but we’ve probably gone away from that a little bit,” Hickey said after the draw.

Hickey earned a game-high 11 contested possessions and won 29 hit-outs, and his willingness to throw himself at the football was instrumental at the coalface.

“We know that our way’s good enough if we play our way, so we’ve just gotta keep persisting with it.

“We did that today but unfortunately didn’t get all the way.”

Pressure was a big focus for Alan Richardson’s side coming into the match and the Saints will look to replicate a similar standard next week against the Hawks in Tasmania.

“The focus will be the same as this week,” he said.

“Let’s try and play to our strengths and let’s try and have real pressure as the focus, and hopefully get away with the four points.”

Go Saints

A big game for Tom against the Hawks this week as he needs to establish himself in the side. With Big Billy playing well for Sandy there is pressure on for the number 1 ruck spot . And there’s Marshall as well.

Go Saints

It’s no secret that 2018 hasn’t gone St Kilda’s way.

Crippling inaccuracy in front of goal coupled with overuse of the footy has broken the Saints’ hopes of a strong start to the season, but in-form ruckman Tom Hickey believes his side has what it takes to turn it around.

Speaking to saints.com.au, the Queenslander didn’t shy away from the reality of what has been labelled a “completely unacceptable” start to 2018 by CEO Matt Finnis.

“Obviously one win and one draw is not where we want to be at this time of year,” Hickey said.

“But we’re not far off it, there’s just been a couple of things, like maximising our opportunities, where we’re letting ourselves down a little bit.”

The 27-year-old has a quintessentially “Queensland” approach to life, and the ex-Gold Coast ruck doesn’t pay too much attention to the external media noise that has surrounded the club recently.

“I don’t read too much in the footy world, we have so much of it jammed down our throats every day, so I try and stay away from it a little bit,” he said.

After a breakout season in 2016 where he finished eighth in the Trevor Barker Award, Hickey endured a frustrating 2017, hampered by injury and form slumps in what he described as a “bizarre, crappy year”.

The 201cm big man has been one of few shining lights for the Saints so far in 2018 and believes the team can make amends for their poor start.

“I suppose if we didn’t think we were a good side, we wouldn’t care as much … but we know we’re better than this, and it’s probably not going to take too much to turn it around,” Hickey said.

“All the boys are putting in the effort and we’re training super hard and reviewing every game really hard … it’s going to turn, just hopefully sooner rather than later.”

Hickey said that the openness to both give and receive feedback within the entire football department is the best it’s been in his time at St Kilda.

“The feedback among the group is probably the best it’s been,” the Saints No. 1 ruck said.

“We’re all in this together, coaches included. It’s been a really open and honest conversation both ways, which has been really beneficial.

“We’re pretty confident that it’s going to turn, so we’ve just got to keep working at it.”

Hickey and the Saints come up against an embattled Fremantle outfit on Saturday night at Optus Stadium.

Go Saints

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After surprisingly being dropped for the GC game Tom Hickey competed aggressively, finishing with 58 hit-outs and eight tackles plus 23 disposals in pouring rain.

Go Saints

Last edited:
Hickey has been averaging 10 contested possessions per game. That's about as many as Jack Steven or Seb Ross.
So 10 of every 14 of his disposals is contested.
He has slightly more clearances per game than Ross or Dunstan and lays a few tackles each game.

I want him back in the team.

St Kilda ruckman Tom Hickey has produced a dominant performance in the VFL, pressing his claims for a return to AFL level in the coming weeks.

The 27-year-old was the leading ball-winner for Sandringham on Saturday afternoon, with 34 disposals and 59 hit-outs in an impressive 55-point win over Port Melbourne.

Go Saints

Two St Kilda rookies are set to fight it out to become St Kilda’s No. 1 ruckman in the final three games of the season, with Tom Hickey expected to be sidelined with a hamstring injury.

Hickey was restricted severely after incurring damage to his right hamstring during the second quarter in Saturday night’s loss to the Western Bulldogs.

Despite playing a small part in the second half to help the Saints avoid having two players out of the match, the key tall was unable to venture far from the forward 50.

Scans today confirmed Hickey will likely miss the final three weeks of the season, leaving Rowan Marshall and Lewis Pierce to fight it out for a place in the senior side.

Go Saints

WEST Coast's plans for the expected departure of Scott Lycett have intensified, putting contracted St Kilda ruckman Tom Hickey through a medical screening.

AFL.com.au understands Hickey, who is being courted by the Eagles with a multi-year offer, was tested prior to the Saints' best and fairest count and leaving for end-of-season holidays.

The Saints were made aware of the Eagles' intentions and are believed to be open to Hickey exploring his options.

With Lycett destined to request a move to Port Adelaide and injured No.1 big man Nic Naitanui to miss 2019, the Eagles are preparing to bring in reinforcements.

Having already met with Western Bulldogs free agent Jordan Roughead, Hickey's acquisition would provide a boost to a club that consistently plays duel ruckmen.

With Naitanui to return in 2020 as a 30-year-old, he is seen to be a ruckman capable of playing no more than 60 per cent time on ground.

Following Naitanui's season-ending ACL in round 17, Nathan Vardy has played seven consecutive matches with Lycett and will line up in Saturday's preliminary final against Melbourne.

Hickey remains contracted at Moorabbin until the end of 2019, however is believed to be open to a move to a third club, having started his career at Gold Coast.

A move for the 27-year-old across the Nullarbor would need to involve a trade, with the Eagles holding two second-round picks that could appeal to the Saints.

Including their existing second-round pick, the Eagles collected Gold Coast's second-round selection (currently No.20) as part of a swap that saw them lose their 2018 first-round pick last year.

Hickey re-signed on a healthy two-year extension ahead of the 2017 season, having played 20 matches in 2016 as the Saints narrowly missed finals.

Playing the first four matches of the 2017 season, the Queenslander then lost his spot to Billy Longer, only managing one more senior game for the year.

Hickey played the first game in the VFL in 2018 before stringing nine consecutive games together in Alan Richardson's side, only to be dropped after round 12.

Playing four more matches from rounds 17-20, Hickey sustained a hamstring injury, ruling him out for the rest of the season.

Lycett's pending departure is set to trigger a wave of action in ruckmen across the competition.

With Roughead and Hickey in discussions with the Eagles, a Hickey move will leave the Saints needing support for uncontracted pair Billy Longer and Lewis Pierce.

Go Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back