Opinion Tom Lynch/Did we dodge a bullet?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
To fit into our side he'd need to get up the ground more than he currently is. The tigs probably have the same ideal in mind longterm, however his current role is clearly influenced by his knee and a reduced preseason. He's still impacting games despite that reduced fitness, so I wouldn't write him off just yet.

While Lynch would have been a nice luxury spend and provided an upgrade in class we have greater salary cap priorities who are bigger list needs (Moore, Grundy and DeGoey).

surprised that i didnt see this thread after round 1. did we take a bullet using pick 10 on freeman? yes. did we take one for shaz? maybe. life is full of bullets. some hit. some miss

More comparable to Beams than picks on 18 year olds without afl experience.

No, would absolutely love him at the Pies, still only 26 with huge upside. He'll play a lot of good footy for the tigers in the future, but very confused why he went there when they had intentions to play him as a 2nd ruck.

No, would absolutely love him at the Pies, still only 26 with huge upside. He'll play a lot of good footy for the tigers in the future, but very confused why he went there when they had intentions to play him as a 2nd ruck.

$$$$$$$$$

The salary cap bullet, duh!

He’s a good player. Is he worth losing other good players for because you can’t pay their salary? I dunno, ask Sydney fans about Buddy.

I’d prefer we avoided Lynch at the salary demand, avoided Beams at the trade price, and packaged up our 2019 and 2020 firsts for Carltank’s 2020 first like Adelaide did. Getting those super early picks makes a huge difference, look at the contribution of De Goey and Stephenson to our attack.

Do you really think Carlton would deal with us though. They hate us we hate them.

The "let's tie up our salary cap" bullet while trying to keep Grundy, JdG, Moore and who not on the list. Yep we dodged that one, ( in fairness, we didn't dodge Beams )
The more I see Lynch play, I don't think he would be a good fit for us. He struggles to be the main focal point of the attack and not enough pressure.
Probably at the Tiges he is better suited .

Do you really think Carlton would deal with us though. They hate us we hate them.
If they thought they were bending us over on their “inevitable” move up the ladder, sure, why not?!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Besides his All Australian season in 2016 hes a 2 goal a game player.

If he gets back his 2016 form hes worth the money, if stays a solid 2 goal a game player the club made the right decision not offering the big dollars.

I think as of right now I’d bet Mason Cox is a similar chance of dominating a match, Lynch obviously the better footballer who can manage to hit the scoreboard more frequently.

Some of the people saying we didn’t dodge a bullet are the same people that would be saying we made a mistake if he was playing like this for us had we got him

Nah. He's actually exceeding what I'd have expected from him YTD given the surgery he had and the lack of a preseason. Gives a clue to what he'll do going forward with a full preseason under his belt. I didn't want him at the asking price in terms of salary cap impact but people are deluding themselves if they're doubting his quality.

Nah. He's actually exceeding what I'd have expected from him YTD given the surgery he had and the lack of a preseason. Gives a clue to what he'll do going forward with a full preseason under his belt. I didn't want him at the asking price in terms of salary cap impact but people are deluding themselves if they're doubting his quality.
I wasn’t referring to you fwiw

At the price tag he came at I think we dodged a bullet.

Might have been difficult to hang on to DeGoey, Moore and Grundy with a million dollar Lynch contract on the books. All three players I value higher than lynch btw.

Good player though who’s struggling coming back from injury. He should turn it around. But if he doesn’t, then we’ve dodged a massive bullet.

Absolutely.

I, too, was keen on getting Lynch - talented forward tall timber, a potential rock for our forward line, but not at the cost of his reputed salary.

I would far rather have the talent we have recruited with Lynch's salary in our coffers.

It's an effing tough world footy, we can't always have all the talent we would like.

Geelong haven't paid out a fortune to recruit gun players, but have only lost one game this season, are correctly flag favourites, and I far prefer the way Geelong have gone about things.

Dangerfield over Lynch any day of the week, talent on every line of the footy field, make a rock solid team first.

To fit into our side he'd need to get up the ground more than he currently is. The tigs probably have the same ideal in mind longterm, however his current role is clearly influenced by his knee and a reduced preseason. He's still impacting games despite that reduced fitness, so I wouldn't write him off just yet.

While Lynch would have been a nice luxury spend and provided an upgrade in class we have greater salary cap priorities who are bigger list needs (Moore, Grundy and DeGoey).

Tom Lynch was a star in 2016, because he hit up high and then doubled back inside 50 all day long. Since then his body hasn't been up to playing this style and he's been a good average player. Maybe he will get back to playing this style, but he only played that well for 1 year and that was 2 and a half years ago. Unless he can get back the fitness to hit up to the wings all day long, he'll only be a good average player. With current defensive structures, I don't think anyone can star inside 50 as a mark and kick player, which is what he is, and they particularly can't dominate if they aren't explosively quick on the lead. I personally think that in the circumstances, 6 years on huge money was a ridiculous contract to give him and I'm stoked that Richmond rather than us was his choice.

With Lynch to me it’s the depth we would have lost, one to afford his salary, look at Richmond now with the injuries, struggling to cover it.
Lynch is a good player, but one l was glad we lost out on.

The impact of Lynch's salary would be the real loss. Lynch is obviously a good player and will be better once he has a full pre-season and the opportunity to rest rather than carry the forward line as he is currently doing, but the Tigers are dealing with the lack of depth now. Miles, Lloyd, Conca, Ellis and Stengle were all cleared out and at least three of those would be getting consistent games right now for them.

I'm sure their youngsters will become handy players in time but it's a shame for them that this type of list development has to come about now when they were looking at a sustained period of success for a while there.

May and Marcus Adams are the real ones I'm super glad we didn't get though.

If they thought they were bending us over on their “inevitable” move up the ladder, sure, why not?!

It shocks me how unprofessionally some still view this!

He’s killing it isn’t he?! My only concern is durability, but if you plugged him into our 2019 forward line we’d be 11-1, IMO.

He’s killing it isn’t he?! My only concern is durability, but if you plugged him into our 2019 forward line we’d be 11-1, IMO.

Yep, and seems to be improving week to week in terms of his running patterns and work rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back