Past Tom Rockliff (2008-2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane captain Tom Rockliff says his side’s performance against West Coast was not up to AFL standard

“Yesterday I think was a step in the right direction but you still walk away with an eight-goal loss which is not AFL standard,’’ Rockliff said.

“We know where we are at. We have to be patient but in saying that, you’ve got to work hard and continue to improve as a team.

“That’s what the members and supporters want. They want to see improvement in our team and unfortunately the last sort of month we’ve let ourselves down with games where we’ve gone out there and performed really poorly.’’

Rockliff backed senior coach Justin Leppitsch and said everyone at Brisbane had to absorb some of the heat for the 1-12 start to 2016.

“No doubt the pressure builds on everyone, right from the top all the way down to the whole playing group,’’ he said on Channel 9.

“I think Leppa is doing a really good job.’’

Tom Rockliff charged with striking

Tom Rockliff, Brisbane Lions, has been charged with striking Matt Priddis, West Coast, during the first quarter of the Round 13 match between the Brisbane Lions and West Coast, played at the Gabba on Saturday June 18, 2016.

In summary, he can accept a $1000 sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available video evidence and a medical report from the West Coast Football Club, the incident was assessed as careless conduct with low impact to the head. The incident was classified as a $1500 sanction. The player has no applicable record which impacts the penalty. An early plea enables the player to accept a $1000 sanction.

To me from the footage shown during the game I thought it was a West Coast boot that collected Priddis, seemed to be too much damage for a backhand elbow from the position both were in.
That's what I said when I saw it on the replay.. Pretty sure it was Shueys boot when he was running past or something similar. This doesn't say much to the review process. Did they even look at it...

On the TV Broadcast they initially thought it was Rockliff's elbow.

When the replay was shown one of the commentators mentioned it looked like it was Shuey's boot rather than Rockliff's elbow. MRP are hopeless.

Where is the replay video footage of this? I'm honestly struggling to find it at the moment.
I saw it at the ground on the big screen, looked like a friendly fire boot to Priddis' face. Mentioned that on the AFL Facebook page and got accused of being a Collingwood supporter for some stupid reason. o_O

Where is the replay video footage of this? I'm honestly struggling to find it at the moment.
I saw it at the ground on the big screen, looked like a friendly fire boot to Priddis' face. Mentioned that on the AFL Facebook page and got accused of being a Collingwood supporter for some stupid reason. o_O

Go to match replay on afl site, click on lions game and elliott yeo behind and wait a minute or so

Tom Rockliff cleared

BRISBANE Lions captain Tom Rockliff has successfully challenged his striking charge at the Tribunal on Tuesday night and avoided a $1500 fine.

Rockliff was charged by the Match Review Panel on Monday for a stray elbow that made high contact to Brownlow medallist Matt Priddis in last Saturday's clash against West Coast at the Gabba.

The star midfielder was the first player to challenge a financial sanction this season and used a series of 76 slides from 10 seconds of footage to build his case.

Rockliff argued he was rolling out of a tackle and attempting to push Priddis away with his palm when circumstances intervened and lifted his elbow into his opponent's face.

The unexpected circumstance was Eagle Luke Shuey's boot, which became lodged under Rockliff's arm and lifted it higher than intended, eventually forcing contact with Priddis' nose.

Go to match replay on afl site, click on lions game and elliott yeo behind and wait a minute or so
My god, they tried to ping him for that? How was that nothing more than accidental contact while getting rid of the ball in a tackle??? I thought they were just contesting it because there was a $500 difference between the fine and the early plea. Turns out it was because the claim was nonsense.

Brisbane captain Tom Rockliff pulls contract proposal he made to the Lions off the table

TOM Rockliff’s future is up in the air after it emerged the Lions skipper has pulled a contract proposal he’d made to Brisbane off the table.

Relationships between club and captain are not strained and both parties say they want to strike a new deal but they are currently miles apart on the 26-year-old’s value.

Rockliff has a year to run on his existing deal, but his manager approached the club earlier in the year after Daniel Rich and Dayne Zorko were given lucrative long-term extensions, looking for a new five year deal, believed to be worth about $4 million.

But Brisbane baulked at the price and when negotiations stalled Rockliff became frustrated and withdrew his proposal.

Rockliff confirmed he had put talks on hold but said it should not be taken as a sign he wanted out of Brisbane.

“We couldn’t come to an agreement on numbers and years, I was injured for a while then also and couldn’t play the sort of footy I knew I was capable of, I just thought it was the best thing,’’ he said.

“I’m the captain of the football club, I’ve been through the hard times and I want to see this through, so I don’t think there’s any uncertainty around that.’’

There has been rumours in football circles Rockliff was being shopped to Victorian clubs.

The Lions are aware of those stories but have not heard it directly from any rival clubs. Nor have they been told by Rockliff or his manager that he was looking for a new home.

Rockliff said he had decided to stay out of all negotiations and leave them in the hands of his manager Tom Petroro.

“You would have to ask my manager that, but I haven’t met with anyone from any other clubs,’’ he said.

It comes at a time senior media analysts have also started to question Rockliff’s value and question whether the Lions should consider trading him.

He was lauded for his great leadership on Saturday when he spoke strongly to the team about the need to present well at the club’s Hall of Fame function and to make certain they took the time to talk to any fans who approached them.

He also set a strict curfew for players heading out after the function, even though the side is now on leave because of the bye.

But he can also be hot headed and the Lions yesterday had to hose down rumours of a major falling-out between Rockliff and welfare manager Craig Lambert who has the difficult task of keeping harmony at a club that has won just once this season.

Rockliff became enraged that Lambert accepted an invite to attend the Giants’ 100th game on the same day the Lions had a social outing.

News of the argument spread but officials insist the pair quickly made peace and remain on good terms.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rockliff is fully committed

Brisbane Lions captain Tom Rockliff is disappointed at speculation about his future, saying he is fully committed to the Club.

"I'm contracted until 2017. I'm captain of the footy club. I've been here since 2009," Rockliff told RSN radio on Wednesday.

"I really enjoy it here ... I can't see myself leaving."

The 26-year-old blamed media reports for over-hyping his potential Queensland exit after he last month said he could not come to an agreement with the club on "numbers and years".

"It's disappointing that it's playing out in the media," he said on Wednesday.

"I think it was a good lesson for me just to give (the media) a mundane answer and say it's between my manager and the club. It just spiralled out of control."

Tom Rockliff charged with striking

The Match Review Panel (MRP) has this afternoon announced that Tom Rockliff has been charged with striking Gold Coast SUNS player Aaron Hall.

Here's what was said in the media release from the AFL:

Tom Rockliff, Brisbane Lions, has been charged with striking Aaron Hall, Gold Coast Suns, during the first quarter of the Round 16 match between the Brisbane Lions and the Gold Coast Suns, played at Metricon Stadium on Saturday July 9, 2016.

In summary, he can accept a $1000 sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available video evidence and a medical report from the Gold Coast Suns Football Club, the incident was assessed as intentional conduct with low impact to the body. The incident was classified as a $1500 sanction. The player has no applicable record which impacts the penalty. An early plea enables the player to accept a $1000 sanction.

Adelaide primed to resign Josh Jenkins and lure Tom Rockliff from Brisbane Lions

ADELAIDE is primed to add Brisbane captain Tom Rockliff to its squad in the next 18 months as a double-hit on the Lions.

The Crows in the next month will certainly defy Brisbane’s super bid on key forward Josh Jenkins — and then most probably beat a large field of AFL rivals courting All-Australian Rockliff as he prepares for free agency at the end of next season.

And the Crows are certainly expected to ask Brisbane during October’s trade talks if Rockliff is available before he gets to make his own call as a free agent in 2017.

Rockliff, 26, has parked all negotiations with the Lions where he is on contract to the end of next season and becomes a free agent. Free agency moves are usually done 18-24 months in advance, as Adelaide highlighted with its Eddie Betts coup at Carlton.

And as Jenkins waits for the final clauses on his new five-year deal at West Lakes, the Crows are already being touted across the AFL as the winners in the race for Rockliff’s signature.

And that impending deal may explain why Crows midfielder Brad Crouch remains without a new contract — and is repeatedly referred to as a trade option in October’s AFL player market.

Rockliff’s manager Tom Petroro has told The Advertiser speculation that the Lions captain toured Adelaide’s facilities at West Lakes during the Lions’ bye in the past fortnight “could not be further from the truth”.

But Petroro has confirmed Adelaide fitness coach Brett Burton, who managed Rockliff’s training program in the same role at Brisbane last year, did have a chance meeting with Rockliff eight weeks ago.

“They had a coffee, as mates from their time at Brisbane, while staying at the same hotel,” Petroro told The Advertiser. “But there is no way Tom has met anyone from the Crows (about a potential move to Adelaide) nor toured the facility there.”

Rockliff, the Lions’ 2011 club champion, late last month withdrew from contract negotiations at Brisbane. At the time, Rockliff declared he was preferring to concentrate on his current form at Brisbane rather than his future in the AFL.

Brisbane chief executive Greg Swann says that stand-off has continued since — as has the speculation on an Adelaide play on Rockliff.

One of the AFL clubs seeking to lure Rockliff has told The Advertiser it has closed its free-agent play and trade plans on the Victorian believing the chase is already won by the Crows.

Adelaide tonight stood by its repetitive script of “not commenting on players from other AFL clubs” — in particular contracted players.

The Crows also denied Rockliff making any tour of the club’s West Lakes base during the bye series.

Rockliff joined Brisbane as a first-round pick in the 2009 pre-season AFL draft and — after just one league game in 2009 — has been a regular player chalking up 127 games in the past seven seasons.

Rockliff has been the Lions captain since last season. He also is a prolific ballwinner averaging 26 disposals and clearance numbers that make him comparable to veteran Crows midfielder Scott Thompson who plays his 300th AFL game on Saturday.

Adelaide would now believe Rockliff is a sounder prospect to take up Thompson’s roles in the midfield by 2018 than Crouch, who stands as a potential trade lure to Essendon in October if the Crows persist in the chase for Bombers defender Michael Hurley.

Brisbane’s impending pain in losing Rockliff to Adelaide follows the failed bid to sign Jenkins on a five-year, $4 million deal. The 27-year-old forward-ruckman — who leads Adelaide’s goalkicking list (43 goals in 15 games) — will compromise for a five-year deal worth at least $3 million and bonuses to remain a Crow.

a32c608af64ab319962bda9f20bd6eb52f8d5ee7a45020d56c7b57f591537bb3.jpg

Piss off Tom.

If that is how the captain of a club treats his own club, piss off, and let's cash out immediately, we don't need your kind here.

Speaking as the guy who seems to have been appointed against my will as the leader of the Anti Rockliff brigade, can I just say I disendorse the above post.

The same Rockliff who said he couldn't imagine himself leaving?

I'd interpret that as more a comment on how much imagination he has.

He clearly isn't teflon coated. But it does show how far we have fallen as a club when the guy we thought was its heart and soul is now seen as a large part of the problem.

Tom Rockliff’s manager hoses down possible move to Adelaide, anticipates re-opening contract talks with Brisbane

BRISBANE can rest easy, according to the manager of skipper Tom Rockliff.

Reports emerged on Thursday night that Adelaide has sensationally made a play for Rockliff, but his manager Tom Petroro has denied discussions have taken place.

“I wouldn’t have thought so,” Petroro told SEN on Friday morning when asked if a move to Adelaide is on the cards for the 26-year-old.

He said he is anticipating firing up contract talks with the Lions for Rockliff — who is contracted until the end of next year — very soon.

“We started those (talks) at the start of the year,” he said.

“We’ve parked them until the end of the footy season, which I assume we’ll pick them up over the coming weeks.”

He said Rockliff’s contact with Adelaide staff member Brett Burton was merely by chance.

And as far as he is concerned, Adelaide has far bigger fish to fry than trying to land Rockliff.

“Plenty of players catch up with ex-staff members. It’s very much out of context,” he said.

“(The Crows) have got their own issues trying to get their own players, so I doubt whether they’d be in the market trying to get (Rockliff) when they’ve got two out of contract and blokes that they’re trying to retain.”

Petroro also said the concept of a captain walking out on his current club remains an anomaly.

“I’ve been in the game 15 years, I reckon have we seen one captain walk out on a club? Maybe two,” he said.

And having travelled to Brisbane just last week, he said he has seen no signs of a reported player revolt against coach Justin Leppitsch.

The club has its challenges, Petroro said, but time will tell.

“I was up in Brisbane last week and had a good chat to Justin. I’ve got Dayne Zorko as well (as Rockliff),” he said.

“They’re both comfortable with Justin. Justin’s obviously under the pump because they’ve won one game for the year, but there’s light at the end of the tunnel.

“They’re a growing list and they’re developing, but it’ll take a bit of time.”

It's always important to be sceptical of media articles which consist entirely of speculation.

It's also important to be sceptical of anything written by Rucci.

Actually, just be sceptical of anything in the media.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back