Past Tom Rockliff (2008-2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Reviews: No. 36 - 40

While nagging injuries to both his hamstring and calf forced Lions captain Tom Rockliff to miss time, the skipper was at his prolific best for his 17 games in 2016. Rockliff averaged 29.8 disposals this season - his second highest output behind his stellar 2014 campaign – including a career high 48 touches in an individual performance for the ages against Carlton in Round 11. The ever-present midfielder racked up more than 30 disposals on 10 different occasions in 2016, and also proved to be a difference maker on the scoreboard, kicking 15 goals to just three behinds in his best return since kicking 18 in 2012. Rockliff will take his strong form into the pre-season and will look to play upwards of 20 games next season for the first time since 2013.

Coach’s notes

Played 17 games and finished fifth in the B&F. He had some hamstring injuries early in the season but his last 10 games were outstanding, as he averaged about 32 possessions and 9 clearances in that time. He also impacted the scoreboard, finishing with 15 goals. Once we get both him and (Dayne) Beams back into the midfield, the unit will become better straight away. So hopefully Tommy can have another solid preseason, get his hamstrings right and have a massive 2017 season.

rockliff2016review.jpg

Brisbane Lions blast captain Tom Rockliff after disrespectful tweet

The friction between Brisbane captain Tom Rockliff and his club has escalated after he became involved in a Twitter exchange in which he was accused of making a derogatory remark about a woman.

The Lions are seething over the incident, with chief executive Greg Swann calling the exchange "incredibly disappointing". Rockliff on Thursday apologised for a tweet in which he labelled a woman "at least a 3 out of 10".

The club has hit out at the skipper over the comment made by Rockliff on October 2, the day after the AFL grand final. Not only is Rockliff a club captain, but his future at the Lions is in doubt after a tumultuous year during which he was accused of poor leadership in a team that won just three games and had its coach, Justin Leppistch, sacked at the end of the season.

"I'd like to apologise for my insensitive comments posted on October 2 - they showed a lack of respect for women and I'm truly sorry," he said late on Thursday afternoon.

In a public conversation on social media Rockliff reacted to a tweet from one of his friends' tweets, which referred to the friend "breaking a drought" as the Bulldogs did after winning the premiership for the first time since 1954.

At the end of the exchange, Rockliff then tweets, "She was at least a 3 out of 10."

The club has responded, and is clearly angered by Rockliff once again putting himself in the spotlight.

"It was really disappointing," chief executive Greg Swann said.

"We've certainly had a discussion with him that it's not on from our point of view."

It's the latest indiscretion for Rockliff, whose future in Brisbane has already been thrown into doubt after a turbulent season off the field.

The club has been open to hearing trade offers for Rockliff from other clubs, but so far none have been forthcoming.

He has one year left on his contract and is yet to meet the club's new coach, Chris Fagan.

"It's not helpful for us and it's not helpful for him, especially with everything that's happening, all the discussions, he's been in the limelight a bit. It just wasn't very clever," Swann told 3AW.

"If you're going to be captain of the football club, you don't want to be involved in things like this.

"To have that sort of exchange is incredibly disappointing."

Rockliff remains a Lion

Tom Rockliff will remain a Brisbane Lion in 2017.

Rockliff’s manager Tom Petroro has informed the Club that the 26-year-old will see out his contract until the end of next season.

New Senior Coach Chris Fagan and Football General Manager David Noble met with Rockliff and Petroro in Melbourne last week to discuss the Club’s new direction and Rockliff’s future.

Noble said Rockliff and the Lions had considered their positions and were happy to move ahead with the midfielder as part of the Club’s new start.

“Tom is 100 percent committed to where we are headed and the journey we are going to take together as a Club,” said Noble.

“Our program demands selfless footballers and leaders who can help others lift their games to a higher level.

“Chris has spoken to Tom about raising the bar on his performance in the year ahead and there is a definite understanding on that.

“We’re happy that Tom is staying at the Club and we all look forward to better times ahead.”

Noble said leadership positions at the Club would be decided over the pre-season.

“Chris and his coaching team will assess the leadership in the weeks and months ahead,” said Noble.

“A leadership group will then be selected based on our values.

“As a Club, we want to become relevant again and a huge part of that is making sure our culture is strong and we live by the values at the heart of that culture.”

That's up to new management. The least we can do is back them in.
100% - I watched Rockliff on the field this year and didn't like what I saw. One particular matter that rankled was a game late in the season when one of our young forwards did all the hard work and took a mark pretty much in the goal square and rather than giving him a pat on the back Rockliff demanded the ball so that he could run into the open goal and score himself. His attitude and demeanour smacked of arrogance and entitlement.

100% - I watched Rockliff on the field this year and didn't like what I saw. One particular matter that rankled was a game late in the season when one of our young forwards did all the hard work and took a mark pretty much in the goal square and rather than giving him a pat on the back Rockliff demanded the ball so that he could run into the open goal and score himself. His attitude and demeanour smacked of arrogance and entitlement.
I know the incident you are referring to. Hipwood marked (just outside i cant remember) the goal square and rocky ran into an open goal. Zorko beams anyone would have done the same. Im sure if rocky took the grab he too would of dished off to a certain goal. I don't disagree entirely as rockies on field demeanour hasnt been the best. But that was a case of best opportunity for a team goal.

Rockliff has a lot of work to do. That's for sure. Will he be at the club in 2018? I hope so. If he is it means he himself has turned this around as alot of this rests on his shoulders, captain or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rockliff is locked and loaded

Tom Rockliff is locked and loaded on making 2017 his best year yet.

The prolific midfielder and former All Australian said he was refreshed and ready to attack a new preseason with a total focus on team success for the Lions.

“I’m really excited about 2017 and moving forward,” Rockliff told Radio SEN in an interview to help promote the Movember charity.

“I’m really excited about the direction the Club is heading and we have some really exciting young talent and I’m glad that I’m going to be part of it and show the group and help out where I can and improve on past performances.”

Rockliff said he had a number of discussions with new Senior Coach Chris Fagan and was totally comfortable with a Club-wide review of the leadership process.

"Across the competition, when a new coach comes on board, they review everything … everyone gets a fresh start, we put our best foot forward and we all move forward together,” he said.

"Chris outlined clearly to me that there will be a process that we go through to select the leaders for 2017. If I remain captain, then I remain captain and, if not, I'll fully support who it is.

"That's not why I play football. You play for team success. I’m really excited for what Chris can do for our playing group, as well as (new Football General Manager) Dave Noble.

“Chris has got a really clear process for us moving forward … to get us back up there and have sustained success.

“He’s been really up front with me and that’s what you want as a player, you just want honesty … he has a really heavy focus on development which is important for our young group, as well as player buy-in.”

Rockliff said speculation during the Trade Period that he had met with other Clubs was off the mark, and he said a Melbourne meeting with Fagan and Noble during the Trade Period had produced a good, positive result.

"Once we had that meeting, [the plan] was just to go away and have some thinking time and work out what was best for me and what was best for the football Club,” said Rockliff.

“In the end, we both came to the decision that it was best if I stayed and continue to improve and help rebuild this football club.

“It’ll be an exciting period for the football Club to go on this journey together for 2017 and beyond.”

Rockliff hits the track early

TOM ROCKLIFF was back at Brisbane Lions training on Wednesday morning for the first time this pre-season under new coach Chris Fagan.

Rockliff, like all players with five years experience or more, was not due to return until next Monday.

On Wednesday's session at Yeronga, Rockliff looked in top shape as he joined in all the ball-work drills and then completed a heavy running session.

Screen%20Shot%202016-11-16%20at%2012.49.38%20PM.png

Rockliff redemption gives Brisbane Lions a big boost

Tom Rockliff's climb back into leadership contention at the Brisbane Lions demonstrates just how much damage can be undone over one solid pre-season.

When the Brisbane players vote next Monday for the 2017 captain, a role Rockliff has held for two years in an increasingly toxic environment, the battle will have come down to three. And it is a credit to Rockliff that he is one of them - having bounced back from the brutal evaluation thrown at him at the end of last season from newly arrived coach Chris Fagan.

The early pre-season favourite Dayne Beams remains a strong contender but his prospects have been damaged by injury and the relatively short time he has spent on the track over summer. Helpfully he will play in the Lions' next hit out.

The other Dayne - Zorko - is the third and probably most likely contender but there remains no true stand-out favourite and if votes were cast on pre-season form and effort alone then Rockliff would get the nod.

Remarkable when you consider his lack of popularity among a significant number of teammates last year, the fact he fell out with more than one senior official including the currently suspended Craig Lambert, squabbled over contractual issues and openly began to seek a trade towards the end of the season.

Jonathan Brown says Tom Rockliff’s future won’t be defined by whether he remains Brisbane captain

“There’s going to be question marks if he doesn’t get the captaincy because he’s out of contract at the end of the year and people will say that will be reason for him to leave,” Brown said on Fox Sports News’ AFL Tonight.

“I’m not so sure, I think he will really enjoy the new regime, he’ll enjoy the coachings of Chris Fagan and hopefully have a good season.”

Brown said while Rockliff would be disappointed if he missed out on the captaincy, he would expect him to move on from it quickly.

“He’ll get on with it. Obviously he’ll be disappointed because he was thrust in there as a young captain, he’d be disappointed with the way things went in the last year or two,” Brown said.

“But I think he’s matured — from what I’ve heard — a fair bit over the pre-season, had a really good pre-season.

“He’ll want to lead strongly, can’t question his form over the last few years, he had a couple of injury problems.”

A tightly contested leadership vote at Brisbane on Monday has seen former Magpie Dayne Beams emerge as the Lions 2017 captain.

In what came down to a narrow contest between three contenders, Beams won the player vote ahead of former skipper Tom Rockliff and Dayne Zorko.

Rockliff is understood to have polled impressively after a strong pre-season under new coach Chris Fagan.

The skipper of the past two seasons almost left the club in controversial circumstances after he put himself on the trade table.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/afl...d-brisbane-lions-captain-20170228-gumutd.html

Snubbing a ‘slap in the face’ for Lion: Dal

TOM Rockliff’s relegation from Brisbane captain to vice-captain is a “slap in the face” for the maligned midfielder, according to former on-baller Nick Dal Santo.

The Lions announced their new-look seven-man leadership team on Tuesday morning, with Dayne Beams voted in as the club’s new skipper after a player vote held on Monday night.

Despite playing just 18 of a possible 44 games across his first two seasons with the Lions due to injury, Beams was the playing group’s preferred skipper ahead of Rockliff, who will be the club’s vice-captain this year.

Former St Kilda and North Melbourne midfielder Dal Santo admitted he was “surprised” by Beams’ appointment, but said the bigger concern was Rockliff’s demotion.

“He was highly scrutinised for some of his leadership styles previously and if that’s a player vote, they’ve basically said, ‘we didn’t like the way you’ve gone about it previously, and now you’re the (second in charge)’ – I don’t know about that,” Dal Santo told SEN.

718e75f940c7bccc26f8f3198a1df961

Dal Santo said he hoped key Lions players and figures had engaged in honest conversations with Rockliff well before Tuesday’s announcement.

“You have to be honest with Tom Rockliff. There’s obviously something that’s not working that they’ve said something needs to change — that’s going to be a little slap in the face,” Dal Santo said. “I think his football stands up, he gets a lot of the ball and he’s been really consistent for a long period of time.

“It’s more off-field, which is going to be difficult to assess from our point of view, because we are a long, long way away and it’s hard to get insight into football clubs. But it’ll be interesting to see how that plays out this year.”

Dal Santo said he had been impressed by new Lions coach Chris Fagan and that it was clear he had already stamped his authority on the club. “It’s almost if he’s come in and said something’s not quite right,” Dal Santo said.

“He’s come from an elite, successful football club and I think he’s trying to fill those gaps and replace the missing pieces.”

Not sure I am buying Nick Dal Santo's knowledge of anything Lions.

Heard Huddo, Watson, Lyon talking about the appointment.....they were surprised on a couple of levels, that Dayne has injury issues, so will he be able to lead on the field consistantly......and that Rockliff had a troubled last season, lots of talk about his character etc...Can a person turn things around in just a short 4-5 months. They weren't too sure..

Neither am I, but we'll see.

Regarding the article above, I think it's a slap in the face to Zorko more than anyone else, because if Dayne gets injured again, Rockliff is back where he was last year leading the pack.....and imo Zorks has given much more genuine loyalty to the club.

Hopefully for the clubs sake, Rockliff proves me and other doubters wrong..

Heard Huddo, Watson, Lyon talking about the appointment.....they were surprised on a couple of levels, that Dayne has injury issues, so will he be able to lead on the field consistantly......and that Rockliff had a troubled last season, lots of talk about his character etc...Can a person turn things around in just a short 4-5 months. They weren't too sure..

Neither am I, but we'll see.

Regarding the article above, I think it's a slap in the face to Zorko more than anyone else, because if Dayne gets injured again, Rockliff is back where he was last year leading the pack.....and imo Zorks has given much more genuine loyalty to the club.

Hopefully for the clubs sake, Rockliff proves me and other doubters wrong..
That's a good point you make in regards to Beams and if he gets injured again. Out of this whole process it just shows to me the lack of leaders that we have at the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back