TOOTHLESS TIGERS

Remove this Banner Ad

Tigers past 3 games have shown that they are a shadow of the team that dominated 2017 and most of 2018

Prelim- they were absolutely destroyed- anyone who had been paying close attention to the Tigers games, wouldn't have seen this as too big a surprise- they had been unimpressive for the majority in the weeks leading into this.
We won 10 out of our last 11 games and only lost 2 from round 9 onwards. Clearly the most dominant team throughout the year, just had one very bad day when it mattered most.

Collingwood kept them in it through some poor play- similar to your guys last week.
I think Jimmy BArtel said that the last quarter showed the scoreboard started to reflect collingwoods dominance- If you just wtached the game and ignored the score board- Tigers were nowhere near it.

FWIW pies had- Adams, Hoskin-Elliot, Reid, Scharenberg, Dunn and Wells missing through injury

Tigers had gastro.

The reality is that we are not good in big games apart from the 2017 finals series. I can highlight all of the big games we had since 2013 and most of them are losses, with some even being thrashings. The losses are also largely the same - most of our star players go missing. It happened yesterday against Collingwood, it happened in the PF last year, it happened in our loss against Adelaide in a top-of-the-table clash in Round 6 2017, it happened in the 2013 EF against Carlton, it happened in the 2015 EF against North Melbourne, it happened in the 2014 EF against Port Adelaide etc.

We still have a similar group of top-end players to 2013, so I believe my criticism of them from 2013 through to 2019 apart from the 2017 finals series is still relevant.

Eagles beat them last year olaying possession football.

Pies just smashed them playing the same Hawthorn style possession football.

The sixth loweat ranked Pie was ranked higher than the Tigwrs best.

Now every team knows how to play against them. GWS will smash them next week.

Tigers look like loosing Riewaldt on top of Rance and Grimes suspended.

They need to rework their game plan in season without their two best talls.

Good luck with that.

We won 10 out of our last 11 games and only lost 2 from round 9 onwards. Clearly the most dominant team throughout the year, just had one very bad day when it mattered most.
wins were far from convincing- the team unity and confidence won you majority of last 1/3 of season games

beat a VFL hawks team in final
very lucky wins against dogs and dons and cats
beat suns and saints - but well, it was suns and saints
pies fell away at 3/4 time- injuries to howe and think a few others played a part in this.

Wins masked some serious issues.

Now being exposed- bubble has burst and confidence gone.

still have one of, if not the shortest injury list in AFL

The stars alligned in 2017 when all of our players peaked at the right time. We had a system that worked for about 18 months and it masked our list deficiencies. It has been picked apart by coaches and now it looks completely dysfunctional. Losing Rance doesn’t help and Jack + Lynch are trying to find chemistry, but the warning signs were there late last year.

The reality is that we are not good in big games apart from the 2017 finals series. I can highlight all of the big games we had since 2013 and most of them are losses, with some even being thrashings. The losses are also largely the same - most of our star players go missing. It happened yesterday against Collingwood, it happened in the PF last year, it happened in our loss against Adelaide in a top-of-the-table clash in Round 6 2017, it happened in the 2013 EF against Carlton, it happened in the 2015 EF against North Melbourne, it happened in the 2014 EF against Port Adelaide etc.

We still have a similar group of top-end players to 2013, so I believe my criticism of them from 2013 through to 2019 apart from the 2017 finals series is still relevant.
Top end have basically all gone backwards

Rance- exposed by cox- make him accountable and he is crap
Cotchin- love him- but too slow and not enough impact- also easily tagged
Dusty- clearly not right
Jack- looks lost playing second fiddle to Lynch- why he was in the ruck is bewildering
Edwards- does some amazing things- yet goes missing for significant patches
Lynch- kicked 3 in each game- yet hardly dominated

The stars alligned in 2017 when all of our players peaked at the right time. We had a system that worked for about 18 months and it masked our list deficiencies. It has been picked apart by coaches and now it looks completely dysfunctional. Losing Rance doesn’t help and Jack + Lynch are trying to find chemistry, but the warning signs were there late last year.
exactly

damning stat- something not right

Not really, spent a heap of time on a wing and up forward, which is one reason.

Collingwood’s midfield also work well to create space and block for each other, which is why Richmond were seemingly unable to lay a hand on them when they got rolling out of the middle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone who has watched the Tiges with objectivity since end July 2018 will not be surprised. In this time they have shown such conviction in their system that they have not evolved or tried to change things up in any significant way. We knew clubs were coming: Pies looked excellent for the last 1/3rd 2018 but many on here said they were nothing to worry about. Even the mediocre cats and hawks ran us close. Smashed away from home when things dont go our way. She'll be right mate isn't a strategy. The game is changing faster than ever with continuos tactical innovations. Adapt or die.

Tigers past 3 games have shown that they are a shadow of the team that dominated 2017 and most of 2018

Prelim- they were absolutely destroyed- anyone who had been paying close attention to the Tigers games, wouldn't have seen this as too big a surprise- they had been unimpressive for the majority in the weeks leading into this.

Round 1- Came out firing as expected as it was first chance to atone for pantsing in prelim- given a dream run form umps and shot to 5 goal lead. Young blues team absolutely dominated q 2 and 3, before running out of legs.

Last night- they were exposed as soft and lacking depth. Confidence has gone, a couple of key injuries and their soft underbelly and lack of depth/class on show for all to see. That was a 15 goal shellacking wrapped up in a 7 goal loss. Pies absolutely destroyed them.

With Jack Reiwoldt looking likely to have done something to his wrist and Tigers having a one paced midfield (apart from Edwards), an ordinary backline and a few younguns who look lost without the protection of the big boys - I predict Tigers will not make the 8.

It's a very tight comp and I fear the rest of the comp has figured out the Tigers and most have better lists.

Thoughts?
As most of us rightly felt throughout the 2017 run of strong performances, they don't actually have much talent. It was just Dusty, Cotchin, Rance, Riewoldt + hard trying roleplayers.

The gameplan was genius. It got the most out of their small, pressure types. Hardwick deserves a lot of credit for bringing the best out of a team that is widely seen as one of the most pathetic culturally and historically as a club since their entry into the AFL. But at the end of the day, they won via a gimmicky gameplan, rather than having the most talented side. Similar to Collingwood 2010.

Full props to them, but now that the players are starting to believe their own hype, the effort is gone and their true talent level is showing. Still a finals contender though.

Anyone who has watched the Tiges with objectivity since end July 2018 will not be surprised. In this time they have shown such conviction in their system that they have not evolved or tried to change things up in any significant way. We knew clubs were coming: Pies looked excellent for the last 1/3rd 2018 but many on here said they were nothing to worry about. Even the mediocre cats and hawks ran us close. Smashed away from home when things dont go our way. She'll be right mate isn't a strategy. The game is changing faster than ever with continuos tactical innovations. Adapt or die.
This is what sets Clarkson apart from the rest.

This is a very interesting view. It does point to 2017 being an aberation, a period of super hot form.

I find it troubling that our losses can be blow outs. What does that say about fortitude, and what does it say about our tactical nouse?

This is a very interesting view. It does point to 2017 being an aberation, a period of super hot form.

I find it troubling that our losses can be blow outs. What does that say about fortitude, and what does it say about our tactical nouse?
I think it's a credit to you. That Hardwick was able to make the team much much greater than the sum of its parts.

Having said that, Buckley's coaching is bloody impressive. He definitely outcoached Hardwick last night. Made the great Dusty struggle with the constant attention he received.

West Coast gave the blue print of how to beat them with possession footy last year and Collingwood looked very much like WC last night the way they were patient with the footy and moved it around by foot until overlapping run opened something up.
It still takes a highly skilled and well drilled team to be able to do that so its not just a matter of copying that style but it is definitely an achilles of Richmond. Having Rance and Houli out hurts them as will Riewold but they are still a decent team and if Dusty can find some form they will still win enough games to get into the 8 this year. How far into the 8 is the question.
Still a lot of season to go but there were some worrying signs last night.
Next week's game between Pies and WC should be a ripper assuming WC pull their finger out and play to their 2018 standards.

It is only round 2 but after seeing how they were exposed by Collingwood and combine that with injuries to a couple of their key players, I think the season could potentially get away from them quickly depending on how they perform in the next 3-4 rounds. It's going to be a big month for the Tigers, so I'm looking forward to seeing how they fare during this period.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back