5. Sam Gibson
6. Jack Ziebell
7. Ryan Bastinac
8. Bradley McKenzie
9. Ben Jacobs
10. Liam Anthony

Are you ******* serious?

Where's Tim McGenniss?

High disposal efficiency because he always takes the easy disposal option instead of taking the game on.

Just lacks the X-factor of the guys ahead of him. Don't get me wrong, he's a very good player but not a bloke who is going to carry his side across the line like Fyfe did Thursday night, like Ablett has for the GC this year and like Selwood often does for Geelong.

Pendlebury lacks X-factor?

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

1. Gary Ablett
2. Nat Fyfe
3. Josh Kennedy
4. Scott Pendlebury
5. Tom Rockliff
6. Joel Selwood
7. Dayne Beams
8. Dustin Martin
9. Dyson Heppell
10. Callan Ward
Would swap fyfe with gazza because of the footy he has missed and bring boak in for one of ward/heppell/dusty, priddis, libba, Gibbs all next in line imo

High disposal efficiency because he always takes the easy disposal option instead of taking the game on.

Just lacks the X-factor of the guys ahead of him. Don't get me wrong, he's a very good player but not a bloke who is going to carry his side across the line like Fyfe did Thursday night, like Ablett has for the GC this year and like Selwood often does for Geelong.
You're talking about Pendlebury, right? This is the Norm Smith medal winning, Collingwood captain, Scott Pendlebury right? You're trying to tell me that Pendlebury doesn't carry his side across the line?

You're trying to tell me that PENDELBURY doesn't have X-factor?????

1. Brent Harvey
2. Levi Greenwood
3. Nick Dal Santo
4. Ben Cunnington
5. Sam Gibson
6. Jack Ziebell
7. Ryan Bastinac
8. Bradley McKenzie
9. Ben Jacobs
10. Liam Anthony
You aren't a real North supporter, you've listed Liam Anthony on a top 10 list.

You're talking about Pendlebury, right? This is the Norm Smith medal winning, Collingwood captain, Scott Pendlebury right? You're trying to tell me that Pendlebury doesn't carry his side across the line?

You're trying to tell me that PENDELBURY doesn't have X-factor?????

Give me Ablett, Fyfe, Dangerfield, Selwood any day over Pendlebury.

It does but in our 5 losses, Fyfe was BOG v North, 7 votes v Port, 3 votes v Syd, DNP v Hawks and 0 votes v Saints). He is still averaging nearly 5 votes a game in losses.

Anyway it was just for a comparison. I think Rockliff is a great player but I don't know if he has been the 2nd best player like people are saying on here.

I was expecting to see more votes but he has the same number of votes as Zorko and only slightly ahead of Hanley.

Spot on I reckon. His disposal lets him down a little, and puts him a shade below the 3 standouts of the year in Ablett, Fyfe and JPK. Probably below Beams, Selwood and Pendles too. Contrasts with Hanley and Zorko who are lethal with the ball

1. Ablett
2. Rockliff
3. Kennedy
4. Fyfe
5. Pendlebury
6. Heppell
7. Selwood
8. Boomer
9. Beams
10. Jones
Fyfe should be number one. He was on a par with Ablett as the game's best player this year up until Gazza hurt his shoulder.

You also left out David Mundy.

Boomer Harvey ahead of Ben Cunnington as North's best mid? Really? What about Port Adelaide duo, Robbie Gray and Travis Boak in 2014? Not as good as Boomer Harvey and Nathan Jones? Pfft. I don't think so.

Where is Jordan Lewis? He's been more consistent and better than half the guys on your list. Probable best and fairest for Hawthorn this season.

This is just another Supercoach-based media hype list and doesn't reflect all the good work that many of the top midfielders do which isn't captured on the stats sheet.

Selwood wasn't so hot from Rounds 5 through to Round 16. He only played about 2 or 3 good games in that time. Many, many games where failed to contribute much at all. Geelong fans were even talking about whether or not he was carrying an injury. Like Judd (2010) and Swan (2011), he'll probably poll really well in the Brownlow and people will forget about his struggles & ordinary games through the middle of the season. Mathew Stokes and Mitch Duncan have been more consistent for Geelong in 2014. Their best games aren't as good as Selwood's a-grade stuff, but they've played well nearly every week.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fyfe should be number one. He was on a par with Ablett as the game's best player this year up until Gazza hurt his shoulder.

You also left out David Mundy.

Boomer Harvey ahead of Ben Cunnington as North's best mid? Really? What about Port Adelaide duo, Robbie Gray and Travis Boak in 2014? Not as good as Boomer Harvey and Nathan Jones? Pfft. I don't think so.

Where is Jordan Lewis? He's been more consistent and better than half the guys on your list. Probable best and fairest for Hawthorn this season.

This is just another Supercoach-based media hype list and doesn't reflect all the good work that many of the top midfielders do which isn't captured on the stats sheet.

Selwood wasn't so hot from Rounds 5 through to Round 16. He only played about 2 or 3 good games in that time. Many, many games where failed to contribute much at all. Geelong fans were even talking about whether or not he was carrying an injury. Like Judd (2010) and Swan (2011), he'll probably poll really well in the Brownlow and people will forget about his struggles & ordinary games through the middle of the season. Mathew Stokes and Mitch Duncan have been more consistent for Geelong in 2014. Their best games aren't as good as Selwood's a-grade stuff, but they've played well nearly every week.

Make your own list

don't quote me again

kthxbye

1. Ablett
2. Fyfe
3. Selwood
4. Kennedy
5. Heppell
6. Rockliff
7. Pendlebury
8. Boak
9. Harvey
10. Sloane

Make your own list

don't quote me again

kthxbye
136.7 Gary Ablett
129.8 Tom Rockliff
125.1 Scott Pendlebury
122.3 Nathan Fyfe
119.7 Joel Selwood
115.5 Dayne Beams
115.1 Matthew Priddis
113.9 Josh Kennedy
113.6 Rory Sloane
113.2 Michael Barlow
112.8 Callan Ward
112.6 Steele Sidebottom
110.3 Thomas Liberatore
110.2 Marc Murphy
107.7 Brent Harvey
107.6 Nathan Jones
107.5 Dyson Heppell
107.3 Robbie Gray
107.0 Jordan Lewis

136.7 Gary Ablett
129.8 Tom Rockliff
125.1 Scott Pendlebury
122.3 Nathan Fyfe
119.7 Joel Selwood
115.5 Dayne Beams
115.1 Matthew Priddis
113.9 Josh Kennedy
113.6 Rory Sloane
113.2 Michael Barlow
112.8 Callan Ward
112.6 Steele Sidebottom
110.3 Thomas Liberatore
110.2 Marc Murphy
107.7 Brent Harvey
107.6 Nathan Jones
107.5 Dyson Heppell
107.3 Robbie Gray
107.0 Jordan Lewis

Nice list

It would hurt ,you guys got totally screwed over when Melbourne got 2, first round picks for Scully and Bulldogs only got 1 for Ward

Tell me about it. I can't imagine anyone could disagree about who lost more now. But let's give them another priority pick, why not.

Based on 2014 form, the Pendlebury arguments have a bit of merit because he's been down compared to his lofty standards but is still a clearcut #2 behind Gaz to me.

1. Ablett
2. Pendlebury
3. Fyfe
4. Selwood
5. Kennedy
6. Rockliff
7. Beams
8. Heppell
9. Priddis
10. Boak

As a Giants fan, I want to put Ward down, and contemplate about his AA chances, but when making a list like this you see just how deep the Midfield runs. I also wanted to squeeze Libba in there, I've thought Jordan Lewis has been amazing this year, as well as Rory Sloane, McRae and was surprised to get to the end of my list and not see Cotchin in there like most years.

As for all the arguments, I think the list can really go any way after 1, but Pendles is still my clear-cut #2 with Fyfe closing in on him (and GAJ)

Not in any particular order because they are so hard to rate
  • Ablett
  • Fyfe
  • Pendlebury
  • Selwood
  • Rockliff
  • Lewis
  • Heppel
  • Boak
  • Kennedy
  • Priddis

Fairly difficult list to put together considering a lot of top line midfields missed a fair few games this year. I think games played is an important factor rating performances over the year. There is the top several midfielders and then you could throw a blanket over the next 20. Huge apologies to Gray and Parker. Although they're in the top echelon of players this year, I think they've been beneficiaries of their teammates stepping up - kudos to both for capitalising on it though. Gibbs, Beams, Priddis and Jones also a bit unlucky not to make they're list. Like Rockliff, they have been shining lights a season where their clubs have disappointed, but they haven't reached the same heights as him.

1. J Selwood (23)
2. D Heppel (22)
3. J P Kennedy (21)
4. N Fyfe (19)
5. S Pendlebury (21)
6. T Rockliff (18)
7. G Ablett (15)
8. J Lewis (22)
9. T Boak (22)
10. R Sloane (22)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back