1993 - Nathan Buckley
1993 - Jeff Hogg
1996 - Anthony Rocca
1997 - Jeff White
1999 - Leigh Colbert
2002 - Wayne Carey
2003 - Lachlan Vaele
2007 - Chris Judd

2001 - Croad to Fremantle. Had a lot of very very angry Hawthorn supporters.

*Ok, we got him back and got Mitchell and Hodge out of the equation, but hindsight is great isn't it? The tread still sucked badly at the time.

Andrew Lovett. Can't remeber year but he left us and then was sacked before the NAB Cup even started

mitch clark and kurt tippett should be up there because of there go home trade requests changing for the $$ else were. tends to get people riled up a lot

I don't see the Judd trade to Carlton as controversial. He was out of contract at the Eagles and wanted to return to Victoria. He also had a right to nominate his preferred club and chose Carlton. Carlton gave at least reasonable compensation for Judd (picks 3 & 20 and Josh Kennedy).

Carey to the Crows for pick 4 - which turned into pick 2 with the Blues losing the 1st two picks in 2002.

Pick 2 - Daniel Wells
Pick 4 - Tim Walsh:eek:

I don't see the Judd trade to Carlton as controversial. He was out of contract at the Eagles and wanted to return to Victoria. He also had a right to nominate his preferred club and chose Carlton. Carlton gave at least reasonable compensation for Judd (picks 3 & 20 and Josh Kennedy).
Agree, no controversy there, he did his job for us and wanted to go home..he tried to do right by the Eagles and they tried to do what was right too and it worked out great all around. I'm very happy with the deal we got and Judd seems to be very happy at Carlton so its win win all around.

I remember the Buckley 'trade' being more of an ultimatum. Bears got a couple of semi decent players but lost one of their most promising youngsters. I think the Greg Williams debacle would be correct at 1. Signed a contract at both clubs as I recall.

There was nothing contoversial about the Lochlan Veale trade. That was a genius deal which saw 3 clubs satisfied. It prevented Jade Rawlings from forcing Hawthorn to trade him to North Melbourne and accept jack s**t in return. It was an unorthodox deal, but it was all within the rules. Various people in the media (e.g. Caro) were hoping to see Hawthorn get stitched up, but instead, a fair deal was reached between 3 clubs. Where is the controversy in that?

Jason Akermanis and Barry Hall were fairly controversial trades. Both players were premiership heroes, but were forced to leave their clubs in fairly acrimonious circumstances.

Matthew Robran from Hawthorn to Adelaide was a controversial trade. The Hawks didn't want lose their promising young CHF - they drafted him with a 1st round selection and he showed plenty in his debut season - but the Crows got in his ear and the lure of returning home to Adelaide proved to be too strong. A deal could not be reached in time for 1992 and so Robran elected to sit out of football for a year. He actually returned home to Adelaide and tried to play SANFL in 1992, but Hawthorn blocked this. The Hawks were eventually forced to settle for peanuts, a late draft pick from the Crows, if memory serves me correctly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2001 - Croad to Fremantle. Had a lot of very very angry Hawthorn supporters.

*Ok, we got him back and got Mitchell and Hodge out of the equation, but hindsight is great isn't it? The tread still sucked badly at the time.

I agree with that as controversial but from the opposite side. We traded away the top pick in the "super draft" for a very average player who didn't want to come here. Instead of drafting a Hodge, Ball or Judd we trade away the pick for Croad and then take Polak with pick 4..by far the worst business Freo have ever done.

I still think trading your captain is pretty massive. We did far better out of it as well. Hoggy was a champion bloke though.

I remember the Buckley 'trade' being more of an ultimatum. Bears got a couple of semi decent players but lost one of their most promising youngsters. I think the Greg Williams debacle would be correct at 1. Signed a contract at both clubs as I recall.
Actually the Bears got selection 12 for Buckley , with which they drafted Chris Scott plus Craig Starcevich and Troy Lehman, but they had to give up Jason Wild as well to Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back