Music Top Ten Albums

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee Mojo you have done a lot of work there but can't believe you had no Hendrix or Marley.. Clearly there a a lot of younger music fans here but for all of you I will make some suggestions for albums you may or may not have ever heard...

I love Marley and there are some albums that are close, but I don't believe any of his albums hold the strength and flow the whole way through. However his best is amongst the best of anything. Exodus was close to being in my list, VERY close but not quite.

Great selection with Gill Scott Heron btw, wasn't expecting anyone to pick her. :thumbsu:

IV-Led Zeppelin
Abbey Road-The Beatles
OK Computer-Radiohead
Automatic for the People-REM
Oddyssey #5-Powderfinger
The Wall-Pink Floyd
High Voltage-AC/DC
Listen Like Thieves-INXS
A Night at the Opera-Queen
Sam's Town-The Killers

Nice list. Always nice to see some INXS in there too.

Pop
INXS - Kick
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Justin Timberlake - FutureSex/LoveSounds
Michael Jackson - Off The Wall
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
George Michael - Older
Queen - A Night At The Opera
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Phil Collins - Face Value

Artists like Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Rolling Stones, Elvis, Frank Sinatra, Prince, Madonna, Ice Cube, Black Eyed Peas (early), Maceo & The Macks and many many more missed out as IMO there is no real album that's quality all the way through, even though they are great artists. Generally I prefer a compilation from them.

You really think Thriller is a great album (no filler)? I'd argue that "P.Y.T." is just a throwaway r&b track of the day. "The Lady In My Life" is a pretty sappy ballad, Lionel Richie wrote better ones. "Human Nature" is nice but filler at that. "The Girl Is Mine" is just lame, Paul was just returning a favour for MJ. The four big hits however and "Baby Be Mine" are great but that's only half the album. IMO, Thriller isn't even MJ's best album let alone a great one.

The Stones and Prince have made more than one great album each and I'd even say Madonna's Like A Prayer is a stronger album overall than Thriller is.

Anyway, great work on the lists.:thumbsu:

Hahaha ahhh bugger, there was ONE artist that I knew I was forgetting and you nailed it! I have all Jimi's albums on vinyl, I cannot believe I forgot. I'm gonna revise!

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:Good to hear Mojo, I couldn't quite figure out where Jimi was as you clearly know your stuff..Electric ladyland is an absolute masterpiece..as is the original cover which was banned due to being covered in topless cuties..Still has never been a guitar player/sonwriter like Jimi..

ps, I assume it was a typo an your behalf and you know that Gill Scot Heron is a he and not a she.. Sad to hear he died recently, had the pleasure of meeting him and spending a day with the band, truly amazing man..

One more album I would add is Graceland by Paul Simon, brilliant from start to finish..

Great list.:thumbsu:

My Hip-Hop Top 10:

1. Fear Of A Black Planet - Public Enemy
2. AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted - Ice Cube
3. Straight Outta Compton - N.W.A
4. It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back - Public Enemy
5. Reasonable Doubt - Jay-Z
6. Miss E...So Addictive - Missy Elliott
7. Country Grammar - Nelly
8. The College Dropout - Kanye West
9. Death Certificate - Ice Cube
10. Very Necessary - Salt-N-Pepa

Next in line would be some Wu-Tang, LL Cool J and Ja Rule.

Nice. I'd have Missy Elliott, Nelly, Kanye (never been much of a fan) and Ja Rule out, for Nas Illmatic, The Marshall Mathers LP, The Blueprint, Ghostface Killah's Supreme Clientele, Gang Starr's Moment of Truth... **** it's hard.

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:Good to hear Mojo, I couldn't quite figure out where Jimi was as you clearly know your stuff..Electric ladyland is an absolute masterpiece..as is the original cover which was banned due to being covered in topless cuties..Still has never been a guitar player/sonwriter like Jimi..

ps, I assume it was a typo an your behalf and you know that Gill Scot Heron is a he and not a she.. Sad to hear he died recently, had the pleasure of meeting him and spending a day with the band, truly amazing man..

One more album I would add is Graceland by Paul Simon, brilliant from start to finish..

Graceland is a great album.

Although I do feel like a fool. Gil Scott Heron, I was thinking of someone completely different, a female disco singer called Loleatta Holloway...not sure why I got the names mixed up.

I know of Gil Scott Heron from 'The Bottle' but it's not who I was thinking of, however having looked him up I'll be definitely checking out more. :thumbsu:

You really think Thriller is a great album (no filler)? I'd argue that "P.Y.T." is just a throwaway r&b track of the day. "The Lady In My Life" is a pretty sappy ballad, Lionel Richie wrote better ones. "Human Nature" is nice but filler at that. "The Girl Is Mine" is just lame, Paul was just returning a favour for MJ. The four big hits however and "Baby Be Mine" are great but that's only half the album. IMO, Thriller isn't even MJ's best album let alone a great one.

The Stones and Prince have made more than one great album each and I'd even say Madonna's Like A Prayer is a stronger album overall than Thriller is.

Anyway, great work on the lists.:thumbsu:

I will agree that because the big 4 were so good and timeless, that the rest seemed to pale into comparison, however I don't think they are fillers. Not all the tracks are enduring as singles, yet at the time the style of tracks PYT and The Lady in My Life etc were appropriate and rounded out the album.

It's debatable I guess, if the other tracks haven't endured over time then I guess you could mount the argument that it isn't a great album.

I don't think The Stones made a top 10 rock worthy album. Even though their hot rocks compilation contains some of my favourite tracks of all time and is often on my turntable.

Prince I was loathed to leave out.

Madonna's Like A Prayer - yes it was a very good pop album, but then you could make the same arguments like Thriller about Keep It Together, Pray for Spanish Eyes etc, even though Like A Prayer, Cherish, Express Yourself, Oh Father were so strong.

It's all opinion I guess.

Writing this you have almost convinced me to leave out Thriller based on the lack of longevity in some of the tracks and replace it with something like Santana - Supernatural (although only really putting it in pop as it is quite various and popular).

"Human Nature" is a nice filler? Jeez, I'd love to hear some great album tracks then.

It's a nice song but but that album was very carefully constructed to contain no album tracks or filler. Every song had to be a stand alone single and MJ and Quincy Jones worked solely on that principle. I take that into consideration when judging it's overall appeal. So yes the album was an extraordinary achievment but "Human Nature" is nowhere near as memorable and classy as say, "Billie Jean."

Just for the record I think MJ's most original and experimental album Dangerous is easily his most rewarding.

No order:

Counting crows: august and everything after
Tool: aenima
Smashing pumpkins: mellencollie and the infinite sadness
Pearl jam: ten
Rise against: sufferer and the witness
28 days: upstyledown
Linkin park: hybrid theory
Hootie and the blowfish: cracked rear view
Cold chisel: chisel
Acdc : back in black

Rumours-Fleetwood Mac
IV-Led Zeppelin
Abbey Road-The Beatles
OK Computer-Radiohead
Automatic for the People-REM
Even in the Quietest Moments-Supertramp
The Wall-Pink Floyd
High Voltage-AC/DC
Listen Like Thieves-INXS
A Night at the Opera-Queen

That's my new list. It's really hard to choose a top 10, some of my favourite bands ever had to miss out, including Powderfinger, Deep Purple, The Killers, and also some solo artists that I admire. My Solo artists top 10 albums are:

Pat Benetar- Crimes of Passion (Her best work by far)
John Lennon- Rock 'n Roll
Cat Stevens- Tea for the Tillerman
MJ- Thriller
Carlos Santana- Love Devotion Surrender
Pat Benetar- Get Nervous
George Harrison- All Things Must Pass
Billy Joel- Cold Spring Harbour
Eric Clapton- Unplugged
Jimi Hendrix-Electric Ladyland

Nirvana - In Utero
Weezer - Pinkerton
Muse - Absolution
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
Green Day - Nimrod
Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American
The Killers - Hot Fuss
Kaiser Chiefs - Employment
Pearl Jam - Ten
Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nirvana - In Utero
Weezer - Pinkerton
Muse - Absolution
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
Green Day - Nimrod
Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American
The Killers - Hot Fuss
Kaiser Chiefs - Employment
Pearl Jam - Ten
Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape
Hot Fuss was a very good album, but I think it's my least favourite of the four they released (showing how good they really are). Sam's Town was great. Day and Age had my favourite Killers song of all time on it (Spaceman) and Sawdust is, well, Sawdust. Shame the lead singer is such a douche. Great list though.

Radiohead - ok computer
David gray - white ladder
The stone roses - the stone roses
The beatles - white album
The flaming lips - yoshimi battles the pink robots
Gnarles Barkley - St Elsewhere
Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun
Mad season - Above
The streets - Original pirate material
Portished - Dummy

off the top of my head these are the albums i always go back to after a new one has grown tired.

Radiohead "OK Computer"
Augie March "Sunset Studies"
Pink Floyd "Piper At The Gates Of Dawn"
Kraftwerk "The Man Machine"
The Stone Roses "S/T"
Burzum "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss"
Kiss "Alive!"
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds "Your Funeral My Trial"
The Pogues "Rum, Sodomy & The Lash"
SubAudible Hum "Everything You Heard Is True"

Radiohead "OK Computer"
Augie March "Sunset Studies"
Pink Floyd "Piper At The Gates Of Dawn"
Kraftwerk "The Man Machine"
The Stone Roses "S/T"
Burzum "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss"
Kiss "Alive!"
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds "Your Funeral My Trial"
The Pogues "Rum, Sodomy & The Lash"
SubAudible Hum "Everything You Heard Is True"
Sunset studios is such a good album, when I saw your name I keep on thinking of the Augie March song Coldacre. I'll listen to it now.

My current top ten favourites , but it's an ever changing list ..........

Nightmare - Avenged Sevenfold
IV - Led Zeppelin
Electric Ladyland - Jimi Hendrix
Ten - Pearl Jam
Appetite For Destruction - Guns N Roses
Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd
Despeardo - Eagles
Bat Out Of Hell - Meatloaf
All Mod Cons - The Jam
Live On - Kenny Wayne Shepherd

In no particular order:

The Killers: Sam's Town
The Killers: Day & Age
Stone Temple Pilots: Purple
Meatloaf: Bat Out of Hell
Counting Crows: August & Everything After
Dire Straits: Making Movies
Powderfinger: Internationalist
Everclear: Sparkle & Fade
Weezer: Pinkerton
Green Day: American Idiot

No order at all...

Arctic Monkeys - Suck it and See
The Beatles - Revolver
The Beatles - Rubber Soul
Kanye West - Graduation
Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare
Nirvana - Nevermind
John Lennon - Mind Games/Walls and Bridges (lost weekend period)
George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
David Bowie - The Rise and fall of Ziggy Stardust and the spiders from Mars
Kanye West - Late Registration

Quite a varied list... heh

No order at all...

Arctic Monkeys - Suck it and See
The Beatles - Revolver
The Beatles - Rubber Soul
Kanye West - Graduation
Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare
Nirvana - Nevermind
John Lennon - Mind Games/Walls and Bridges (lost weekend period)
George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
David Bowie - The Rise and fall of Ziggy Stardust and the spiders from Mars
Kanye West - Late Registration

Quite a varied list... heh

Love this live album.

3211982.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back