Resource Beyond the "66 Game" Rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

The issue too with the Saints rebuild is that they didn't invest in top 10 picks.

Billings looks to have genuine star quality. McCartin may turn it around with a good run.

Ross was terrific earlier in the year. Guys like Acres, Dunstan and Newnes haven't taken off.

Many of these young core players were taken from 15-30 in the draft. They'll be solid to very good players, but finding someone elite at that stage of the draft is really difficult.

Then there is the KPP issue.

McCartin has talent but can't stay fit, Bruce is ordinary, Goddard can't stay fit, Brown is old af.

Very vanilla list the Saints have put together, when you think they've been rebuilding since 2012 basically and all the have to show for it is Jack Billings, Jack Steven as potential elite level talents.
They have a team of very honest footballers, but with very little star power or elite young talent, I thought we had a bad 2014 draft, but the Saints have really botched that draft, which is even worse when you consider they had picks 1,20,21, then the next year they traded pick 5 and pick 25 in a pretty loaded draft, for a coke sniffing Carlsile and pick 15, plus gave up another 2nd rounder for Nathan Freeman.

Boekhorst > Balic (or Baltic if you believe spellcheck)
Casboult > Mitch McGovern (get him to nominate us because **** the crows)
Pick 3, 2018 1st > Josh Kelly, GWS 2017 2nd
Jaksch > Lukas Webb

Out: Boekhorst, Casboult, Jacksh, pick 3, 2018 1st

In: McGovern, Balic, Kelly, Webb, Pick 30ish

Weitering Jones Plowman
Byrne Marchbank Docherty
Murphy Cripps Cuningham
Pickett Curnow Silvagni
SPS McKay McGovern

Kruezer Kelly Gibbs

Williamson Fisher Ed Wright

Northern:

Macreadie Silvagni white
Smedts Rowe Simpson
Webb Kerridge Thomas
Lamb Kerr Sumner
Lebois JGM Graham

Phillips Balic Polson

Last edited:

After this offseason everything that happens is 100% SOS and Bolts responsibility good or bad.

The list is entirely theirs now and the names Malthouse, Hughes or Rogers cannot be blamed anymore.

Cheers for clarifying Wayne :thumbsu:

Very vanilla list the Saints have put together, when you think they've been rebuilding since 2012 basically and all the have to show for it is Jack Billings, Jack Steven as potential elite level talents.
They have a team of very honest footballers, but with very little star power or elite young talent, I thought we had a bad 2014 draft, but the Saints have really botched that draft, which is even worse when you consider they had picks 1,20,21, then the next year they traded pick 5 and pick 25 in a pretty loaded draft, for a coke sniffing Carlsile and pick 15, plus gave up another 2nd rounder for Nathan Freeman.
I agree they should've kept pick 5 as their entire rebuild thus far has 2 top 15 picks, but Carlisle has been excellent this year and probably second in their b & f behind Ross. Gresham is a good player too.

Boekhorst > Balic (or Baltic if you believe spellcheck)
Casboult > Mitch McGovern (get him to nominate us because **** the crows)
Pick 3, 2018 1st > Josh Kelly, GWS 2017 2nd
Jaksch > Lukas Webb

Out: Boekhorst, Casboult, Jacksh, pick 3, 2018 1st

In: McGovern, Balic, Kelly, Webb, Pick 30ish

Weitering Jones Plowman
Byrne Marchbank Docherty
Murphy Cripps Cuningham
Pickett Curnow Silvagni
SPS McKay McGovern

Kruezer Kelly Gibbs

Williamson Fisher Ed Wright

Northern:

Macreadie Silvagni white
Smedts Rowe Simpson
Webb Kerridge Thomas
Lamb Kerr Sumner
Lebois JGM Graham

Phillips Balic Polson
Balic would be worth a packet of peanuts in a trade. Surely Boekhorst gets another contract after what he has shown lately. It's not like we have great midfield depth at the moment.

anyone ever been involved in a full house renovation will be recognizing the building (hee hee) excitement of progression beyond the lock-up stage

I hate painting architraves.

Game 44 (2017).png

Graph: graphical representation of number of "youth" selected in the best 22 (Series 1) along with that youth's performance, by way of AFL Coaches Association votes (Series 2), average youth AFL Player Rating* (Series 3) and average SEN Inside Football Player Rating Points** (Series 4)
* Avg AFL Player Rating = total player rating / number of players.
** Avg SEN Inside Football Player Rating = total player rating points / number of players.

GAME 44 Rnd 23 - LOSS vs Sydney (138-57)
13 Youth Players
Coaches Votes:
Player Ratings Points (AFL,SEN):

Sam Docherty - 423.5 (-5.9), 633
Jacob Weitering - 298.2
(+6), 7
Sam Kerridge -235
(+3.3) , 5
Charlie Curnow - 246
(+11.6), 6
Jed Lamb - 139
(+0.9), 4
Samo Petrevski-Seton - 167
(+5.2), 3
Nicholas Graham - 131.4
(+0.9), 4
Blaine Boekhurst - 129 (+16.9), 7
Zac Fisher - 114.4
(+3.5), 4
Ciaran Byrne - 101.5
(+0.4), 2
Tom Williamson - 70.8
(+3.3), 5
Jarrod Picket - 44.5
(+5.9), 4
Billie Smedts - 37.4
(+3), 3

Average: 167.19, 4.62

So that's the end of season 2, game 44 all over and done with. Two thirds of the way into the rebuild. There are so many positives out of this season but we have definitely spluttered to the end of the season. With Patrick Cripps out on the back half of the year we have struggled on field and in the stats as well. Some of our youth have done admirably to hold the trend line even, including Charlie Curnow who grew another +11 this week and even, surprisingly Blaine Boekhurst who grew by +16.9. Our youth is building across the board, we have 15 youth players over 100 AFL Player Ratings.

This week was poor on the SEN ratings side averaging less than five across the board Boekhurst, Curnow and Weitering held the flag high with impressive games to finish off a positive season.

Jacob Weitering had one of his best games of the season and reminded all of us of his elite talent. Weits has 24 disposals, took 14 marks, including a game high 8 intercept marks, and took 3 contested marks. He had 3 1%ers and 2 inside 50's to top off a quality performance down back. Blaine Boekhurst has hopefully dug himself into another season at AFL level and some real quality development in all accounts, he had 19 touches, took 8 marks linking up on a wing. He had a clearance, 5 inside 50's and 3 goals. Sam Docherty had 20 touches and took 3 marks in a quiet match for our All-Australian. Doch had a team hihg 8 rebound 50's and 2 1%ers. Charlie Curnow finished off his year with 11 touches, 2 marks, and 2 goals and fingers crossed the Rising-Star soon. Sam Kerridge wasn't as industrial as normal, he had 16 touches, 3 marks and 6 tackles. Nick Graham had a late reprieve, 16 disposals, 3 marks, 4 tackles and 3 inside 50's. Tom Williamson was neat down back in his 13 touches, he had 5 marks and 4 1%ers. Zac Fisher had 13 touches, 3 marks, 3 tackles and 2 inside 50's. Jed Lamb didn't execute his defensive forward role as well as he did against Sicily, he only had 10 touches, 6 marks, and 4 inside 50's. Jarrod Pickett continues to pop in very exciting ways but can't put it all together, he had 7 touches, 3 marks, 3 1%ers, 2 bounces and a goal. Samo Petrevski-Seton had 10 touches, 2 marks and 3 tackles. Billie Smedts struggled this week, he had 8 touches, 4 marks and gave away 3 free kicks. Ciaran Byrne's day was ruined by a knee injury early in the game after only picking up 4 touches and 2 marks. Let's hope he's fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone have - or know where I can find - the player ratings as at the conclusion of R22? I was overseas that week so unfortunately missed the weekly update.

Anyway...my final update.

Official AFL Player Ratings
As at the conclusion of R23.

Patrick Cripps - 29
Sam Docherty - 80
Lachie Plowman - 218
Jacob Weitering - 235
Charlie Curnow - 301
Sam Kerridge - 316
Sam Petrevski-Seton - 418
Jack Silvagni - 422
Nick Graham - 472
Blaine Boekhorst - 474
Liam Sumner - 486
Zac Fisher - 490
Caleb Marchbank - 498
Ciaran Byrne - 502
David Cuningham - 543
Tom Williamson - 545
Dylan Buckley - 562
Jarrod Pickett - 583
Harrison Macreadie - 601
Daniel Gorringe - 617
Harry McKay - 654
Kristian Jaksch - 685
Cameron Polson - 704

Overall movement - 2017 season

Charlie Curnow +239
Sam Petrevski-Seton +191
Lachie Plowman +159
Zac Fisher +128
Jacob Weitering +122
Jack Silvagni +108
Sam Kerridge +100
Tom Williamson +77
David Cuningham +49
Caleb Marchbank +43
Jarrod Pickett +30
Sam Docherty +22
Patrick Cripps +20
Harrison Macreadie +19
Harry McKay +14

Liam Sumner -14
Ciaran Byrne -21
Nick Graham -31
Blaine Boekhorst -31
Cameron Polson -50
Daniel Gorringe -57
Kristian Jaksch -126
Dylan Buckley -166

Does anyone have - or know where I can find - the player ratings as at the conclusion of R22? I was overseas that week so unfortunately missed the weekly update.

Anyway...my final update.

Official AFL Player Ratings
As at the conclusion of R23.

Patrick Cripps - 29
Sam Docherty - 80
Lachie Plowman - 218
Jacob Weitering - 235
Charlie Curnow - 301
Sam Kerridge - 316
Sam Petrevski-Seton - 418
Jack Silvagni - 422
Nick Graham - 472
Blaine Boekhorst - 474
Liam Sumner - 486
Zac Fisher - 490
Caleb Marchbank - 498
Ciaran Byrne - 502
David Cuningham - 543
Tom Williamson - 545
Dylan Buckley - 562
Jarrod Pickett - 583
Harrison Macreadie - 601
Daniel Gorringe - 617
Harry McKay - 654
Kristian Jaksch - 685
Cameron Polson - 704

Overall movement - 2017 season

Charlie Curnow +239
Sam Petrevski-Seton +191
Lachie Plowman +159
Zac Fisher +128
Jacob Weitering +122
Jack Silvagni +108
Sam Kerridge +100
Tom Williamson +77
David Cuningham +49
Caleb Marchbank +43
Jarrod Pickett +30
Sam Docherty +22
Patrick Cripps +20
Harrison Macreadie +19
Harry McKay +14

Liam Sumner -14
Ciaran Byrne -21
Nick Graham -31
Blaine Boekhorst -31
Cameron Polson -50
Daniel Gorringe -57
Kristian Jaksch -126
Dylan Buckley -166
Hey J.

Have you collated these figures or is there somewhere I can find them?

Ta!

Lachie Plowman is fast becoming one of our most important players. Probably won't get the accolades he deserves but has great awareness and disposal efficiency. When he gets it, there is little chance of him turning it over. I would think that Bolton and match committee have him as one of the first players picked each week.
Great bloke as well, spoke with him for a bit on the GC pre season camp in his first year. He was out with the hip injury but his smile and positive attitude was fantastic. A player that will not make negative headlines and could soon find his way into the leadership group.

Yeah I've kept a file tracking their progress.
I was just wondering who the top 5 movers league wide were... Charlie's numbers are unbelievable... was wondering about Burton, McGrath and PP.

McGrath has finished on 419 with 166.8 rating points.
PP has finished on 378 with 190.3 rating points.
Burton has finished on 335 with 220.8 rating points.

And Charlie finished on 301 with 246.0 rating points (obviously Charlie played last year so not exactly equivalent).

Still, makes you wonder how in *'s name did McGrath win the rising star...

I was just wondering who the top 5 movers league wide were... Charlie's numbers are unbelievable... was wondering about Burton, McGrath and PP.

McGrath has finished on 419 with 166.8 rating points.
PP has finished on 378 with 190.3 rating points.
Burton has finished on 335 with 220.8 rating points.

And Charlie finished on 301 with 246.0 rating points (obviously Charlie played last year so not exactly equivalent).

Still, makes you wonder how in ****'s name did McGrath win the rising star...
It takes a while but if you click on a players name you can see their position each round on the graph that comes up if you hover the mouse over their names. Although I don't understand how some rookies start at different points. Being on 0 points doesn't seem to be a tied position, so growth by absolute numbers of first year players may be a bit odd. I might be off with that though:

Mcgrath: 615 - 419 = 196 spots
SPP: 589 - 378 = 211 spots
SPS: 609 - 418 = 191 spots
Burton: 573 - 335 = 238 spots
Curnow: 540 - 301 = 239 spots

For second year players Burton and Curnow seemed to have had very similar years, looking at this metric.

Lachie Plowman is fast becoming one of our most important players. Probably won't get the accolades he deserves but has great awareness and disposal efficiency. When he gets it, there is little chance of him turning it over. I would think that Bolton and match committee have him as one of the first players picked each week.
Great bloke as well, spoke with him for a bit on the GC pre season camp in his first year. He was out with the hip injury but his smile and positive attitude was fantastic. A player that will not make negative headlines and could soon find his way into the leadership group.
Not enough love for Plowman

Highest average score per game for champion data player ratings:
DIYIcsZVYAE7Zit.jpg:large

Noticeable in our backline in round 23 how bad we were. He probably make our backline 3 goals better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back