Strategy Trade and List management Thread (cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems we may be one of two clubs currently interested in this guy. Having a chat with him soon.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-15/ammos-stars-big-season-see-recruiters-lurking

TWO AFL clubs have expressed interest in former VFL midfielder Anthony Scott after a stellar season with Old Trinity in the Victorian Amateur Football Association (VAFA).

AFL.com.au understands Western Bulldogs and St Kilda have enquired about the mature-aged left-footer.

The 23-year-old is set to meet the Bulldogs next week, while his management has been in talks with the Saints' newly appointed list manager James Gallagher.

Scott played eight games in the TAC Cup for Oakleigh Chargers in 2013, before earning the VAFA Rising Star award the following year and a position on Richmond's VFL list ahead of 2015.

So far, it has been a case of poor timing for Scott.

His three seasons in the VFL system coincided with Richmond's tilt towards its prized 2017 flag, and was compounded by an enviously small Tigers' injury list.

Scott was forced to play out of position and was given minimal opportunities to showcase his class in the midfield.

His decision to return to the VAFA has kept alive Scott's hopes of an AFL career.

524598-tlslargeportrait.jpg

I liked everything about this full article except the bit that said he was runner up to Ayce Cordy in the B&F

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thanks for your contribution

No problem and there was no offence intended. I just found the connection between your post questioning the number of left footers in our midfield and you avatar to be somewhat amusing.

Some interesting points. You speak of 'pace' as a detriment he has to cover. Although he is certainly not a gazelle over 20m, his agility, low centre and quick thinking making him a player who is very rarely caught with the ball. So whilst he is not a sprinter, I don't think that's a big issue for him.

To be honest, I haven't noticed this point on his left foot. He certainly has the ability to use both sides I think so if you're right in saying he has a reluctance to pull the trigger, hopefully that is something the coaches pick up on and help him fix it
His pace is more a defensive concern than an attacking one. When he has the ball, the ball off the boot beats the man (unless it's one of those weak inside out right foots I bang on about). I'm not even too worried about that pace defensively in the backline because he's working in a smaller area.

But what's going to find him out is his left if he doesn't use it for the reasons I suggested. The opposition will target him now because he was extremely effective in that area over the last few rounds. Part of that targeting will be to corral him to the left flank. If he develops and consolidates that left foot he will be difficult to target regardless of attention.

It would also allow him to go back to the midfield (at times) because the attacking side would be a net gain on the defensive compromise. In a midfield sense, the defensive side is currently a net negative and will remain so until he consolidates his left.

IMO of course.

The other thing that is underrated about him is his ability to spoil taller opponents in the marking contest.

Nah, he's short, so he must be a defensive liability. And his tendency to use his right foot is a major problem, rather than a result of him having enough composure with the ball to give himself time and space.

And why does he wear a helmet? He clearly needs to be traded.

15 Possies, 6 tackles and 2 snags in a final. Gee I wish I was cooked as well.
The two goals were Dom Tyson clumsily falling into his back 20m out and a junk time Joe the goose when the game was basically over.

For the most part of that game, he was a long way off the pace.

Until he starts pulling the trigger on his left so the opposition can't predict which foot he'll use and doubling his options he won't be Mitchell. Otherwise his skills are comparable. But even with that, I still think he's probably few cm and kgs short of being able to reach those heights without the rest of our midfield being dominant (which is hard in finals - even parity might not be enough to cover it).

For Daniel, being as fluent on his left as he is on his right is not optional.

As for re-invention, beyond all the roles he's tried (his latest being perhaps the best fit), runner is about all that's left.
People kept saying Libba Sr would never make it (he was 5cm shorter than Daniel, albeit a different era). However he had absolute belief in himself and a serious case of white line fever. He reinvented himself once or twice too.

Daniel is currently 22 (not 23 until next July). Libba Sr didn't have his breakout year until 1990 when he was already 24. This may be no coincidence, as by then Libba had matured enough and done enough pre-seasons to develop some serious strength. In his first four senior seasons at the Dogs Libba had 18 games and laid only 27 tackles. He went on to become a legendary tackler (career avge 4.39) at a time when tackling and defensive pressure wasn't as big a focus as it is now. I reckon Libba's power-to-height ratio helped make him so effective in his role at the Dogs.

You could argue Daniel is already well ahead of where Libba was at the same age but that would be to assume they are the same type of player. Libba was much more in-and-under while Daniel is a distributor who is not robust enough to play inside for a whole game or a whole season. However if he too can develop greater strength and add a few kgs (he's 71kg while Libba was 77kg) I think we can see him continue to develop as a seriously good player for us. And maybe even a versatile one, which most people are doubting at the moment.

It's worth noting Daniel is already averaging 3 tackles a game - not too shabby for a player who is not usually in heavy traffic. Daniel also has an elite tank IIRC. If the proposed new rules come in (interchanges reduced, 6-6-6 zones) then running endurance is going to be vital and we need to hang onto those types if they have some footballing ability. It will be more important than burst speed.

I do agree that in his role as a distributor he needs to develop power, accuracy and confidence in using his left foot.

I don't think we've seen his best footy yet.

Forgot to add an other important factor in Libba Sr's emergence: opportunity. Norf gave him none, Malthouse not many.

Terry Wheeler believed in him and gave him much more opportunity to prove himself, a gesture that was repaid many times over.

That's not a big issue for Daniel. He is getting ample opportunities under Bevo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems we may be one of two clubs currently interested in this guy. Having a chat with him soon.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-15/ammos-stars-big-season-see-recruiters-lurking

TWO AFL clubs have expressed interest in former VFL midfielder Anthony Scott after a stellar season with Old Trinity in the Victorian Amateur Football Association (VAFA).

AFL.com.au understands Western Bulldogs and St Kilda have enquired about the mature-aged left-footer.

The 23-year-old is set to meet the Bulldogs next week, while his management has been in talks with the Saints' newly appointed list manager James Gallagher.

Scott played eight games in the TAC Cup for Oakleigh Chargers in 2013, before earning the VAFA Rising Star award the following year and a position on Richmond's VFL list ahead of 2015.

So far, it has been a case of poor timing for Scott.

His three seasons in the VFL system coincided with Richmond's tilt towards its prized 2017 flag, and was compounded by an enviously small Tigers' injury list.

Scott was forced to play out of position and was given minimal opportunities to showcase his class in the midfield.

His decision to return to the VAFA has kept alive Scott's hopes of an AFL career.

524598-tlslargeportrait.jpg
To be honest, if he's an inside mid who struggles to adapt to other positions, as indicated by the article, he's probably better off going to StKilda.

People kept saying Libba Sr would never make it (he was 5cm shorter than Daniel, albeit a different era). However he had absolute belief in himself and a serious case of white line fever. He reinvented himself once or twice too.

Daniel is currently 22 (not 23 until next July). Libba Sr didn't have his breakout year until 1990 when he was already 24. This may be no coincidence, as by then Libba had matured enough and done enough pre-seasons to develop some serious strength. In his first four senior seasons at the Dogs Libba had 18 games and laid only 27 tackles. He went on to become a legendary tackler (career avge 4.39) at a time when tackling and defensive pressure wasn't as big a focus as it is now. I reckon Libba's power-to-height ratio helped make him so effective in his role at the Dogs.

You could argue Daniel is already well ahead of where Libba was at the same age but that would be to assume they are the same type of player. Libba was much more in-and-under while Daniel is a distributor who is not robust enough to play inside for a whole game or a whole season. However if he too can develop greater strength and add a few kgs (he's 71kg while Libba was 77kg) I think we can see him continue to develop as a seriously good player for us. And maybe even a versatile one, which most people are doubting at the moment.

It's worth noting Daniel is already averaging 3 tackles a game - not too shabby for a player who is not usually in heavy traffic. Daniel also has an elite tank IIRC. If the proposed new rules come in (interchanges reduced, 6-6-6 zones) then running endurance is going to be vital and we need to hang onto those types if they have some footballing ability. It will be more important than burst speed.

I do agree that in his role as a distributor he needs to develop power, accuracy and confidence in using his left foot.

I don't think we've seen his best footy yet.
This is a very good comparison DW. I would take exception to one comment: "And maybe even a versatile one, which most people are doubting at the moment." The fact that he has now adapted to a defensive sweeper role proves to me that he is already versatile, so I'm not one of the "most".

I’m a long term lurker, rare poster, and it’s taken criticism of Caleb to spur me into action. I’m not denigrating others for having a different opinion on him, it’s been interesting to read some of the knockers, but I feel in my bones that he is going to be a superstar for us in years to come. Particularly in the last eight weeks of the season, I just thought he went up a notch. So clean and calm under pressure...

I’m a long term lurker, rare poster, and it’s taken criticism of Caleb to spur me into action. I’m not denigrating others for having a different opinion on him, it’s been interesting to read some of the knockers, but I feel in my bones that he is going to be a superstar for us in years to come. Particularly in the last eight weeks of the season, I just thought he went up a notch. So clean and calm under pressure...

He is a great footballer, but he is small. Tony Liberatore won the Brownlow Medal, but North Melbourne won two premierships in the
same time frame so who made the right call, maybe we both did in our own way.

He is a great footballer, but he is small. Tony Liberatore won the Brownlow Medal, but North Melbourne won two premierships in the

Norf won those premierships at the end of Tony's career when he was tagging for us. The brownlow was in 1990.

Agree that the stats from last night paper over a pretty ordinary game from Roughy. However, Hodge was cooked too. Still is. But I reckon he has definitely made Brisbane a far better team. Roughead would instantly make our forward line better and everyone would walk a little taller with him in our team. As long as the price is right, I’d love him onboard with us.

Just have to agree.

I was seething with my criticism of him around round 18 but his play in the final rounds unlocked something for our team.

Teams are committing more and more to pressure. Guys like Daniel are too clean and precise to be pressured. At his best he is a top 5 decision maker/ball user in the afl and too hard to find to move along.

Clean hands and surgical angled kicks will see the afl out of this pre skill era and into a game where you can’t just be bigger and fitter to win games- which is the current status quo

Norf won those premierships at the end of Tony's career when he was tagging for us. The brownlow was in 1990.
Fair point, memory fades as time goes by. I think Tony won three of his league B&F's at North, but his lack of size held him back.
Just because you are small does not mean you can't play, but it comes with it's own challenges.

And we should have won a premiership in that time if goal review existed and terry wallace had half a brain...Smith on Robran...i'm stil shitty

Fair point, memory fades as time goes by. I think Tony won three of his league B&F's at North, but his lack of size held him back.
Just because you are small does not mean you can't play, but it comes with it's own challenges.
Libba Sr won the Morrish Medal as a 17yo playing with North in 1984 but I'm pretty sure he joined the Dogs straight after that in 1985. He won his 2 Gardiner Medals (reserves, 1986 & 1988) and his Brownlow (1990) at Footscray. For some reason he saved his best for the even-numbered years!

I also found a stat (AFL yearbook) that he was still only 72kg at the start of the 1990 season when he was 24. So the extra 5kgs must have been added later in his career. Amazing effort to get to 283 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back