Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't see it happening alongside Daniel unless we pushed him up the ground. I'm sure Libba would excel in that role, but would need Daniel to move to half forward/wing
That would be exactly what I'd do. Daniel to wing and Libba half back. I think he'd be better than Caleb even though I'd miss his contested work.

Gotta say I'm a little surprised that you guys didn't seem to have any interest in Ben Brown.

Would have thought he'd be a perfect support for Naughton as a mature lead up forward, allowing Naughton to stay deeper. He's also proven to be a capable support ruck, so he could ruck say 20% of game time giving English a rest and releasing Dunkley from the role.

I know you have JUH coming in but he's only a first year and right now has a slight build physically, and you invested in Bruce though there is question marks on his output.

Does anyone know a bit more whether Dogs don't have the cap space or just weren't interested and were happy with Naughton/Bruce/JUH? Cause it seems like Melbourne will get him cheap since North are basically pushing him out.

Unfortunately as a club we just seem to turf any players that are disruptive or need to be brought back along the straight and narrow - ie. we had issues with elite talents Stringer, Dalhlaus and Adams and to a lesser extent Roughead and rather than work with them we said see ya.
Bevo looks like the kind of guy that would get the bad apple and turn them around but the reality might be a fair bit different.
In what way was Roughead disruptive? Thats contrary to everything i've ever heard

I don't see why we can't fit Macrae, Bontempelli, Dunkley, Liberatore and Smith in the midfield together. I think Dunkley playing so much forward after coming back from injury was in part due to the fact that we don't have any natural forwards and Dunkley as a bigger body who is decent overhead can offer as a bit of a target forward.

I don't think our mix is particularly slower than that some of the other top teams. Port have Rockliff, Boak and Wines playing the majority of their midfield minutes, Geelong apart from Dangerfield (who played a strange amount of forward minutes later in the season) are slow in the midfield. Brisbane's is a fair bit quicker and with Bolton playing a bigger role Richmond's would be too.

I think the issues are more that we are slow and small around the ground. I don't think we have the midfield depth to let Dunkley go. As much as its talked up after the top 5 (and Hunter but I'd classify a wing like him different), the quality completely drops off. Of course you still have Wallis who could go back in there if there was a few injuries and McLean will be back in 2022.

Gotta say I'm a little surprised that you guys didn't seem to have any interest in Ben Brown.

Would have thought he'd be a perfect support for Naughton as a mature lead up forward, allowing Naughton to stay deeper. He's also proven to be a capable support ruck, so he could ruck say 20% of game time giving English a rest and releasing Dunkley from the role.

I know you have JUH coming in but he's only a first year and right now has a slight build physically, and you invested in Bruce though there is question marks on his output.

Does anyone know a bit more whether Dogs don't have the cap space or just weren't interested and were happy with Naughton/Bruce/JUH? Cause it seems like Melbourne will get him cheap since North are basically pushing him out.
I'd think it's a combination of having just picked up Bruce (and I'm confident his output will improve next year), as well as Brown probably not suiting our playstyle particularly well. I wouldn't mind him for the exact role you mentioned, but I guess the hope is that Bruce would fill that role next year?

We would absolutely have the cap space, as despite picking up Keath and Bruce last year, we have had a number of older players extend their contracts onto lesser money, as well as the recent retirement of Dickson (and Trengove's free agency contract coming to an end). I think it was that Carlton ITK C4 who estimated we'd have the 2nd most cap space in the league, which wouldn't surprise me as I'd expect we're probably in the top 5 thanks to how young our side is, and because so many of our players signed longer term deals prior to uplifts in form

I imagine if we hadn't got Bruce last year we'd be interested. I'm not sure you can play Bruce and Brown together.

I don't know about cap space but I'd assume we'd have a bit available with Tom Boyd off the books. You can't be certain though, apparently everyone except Collingwood have heaps of cap space and Geelong somehow can afford anyone and everyone.

Is there any indication Libbas knees are actually cooked? I mean he didn’t miss a beat all season. I’d be locking him in for a midfield spot next year at this stage, ahead of Dunks. 2-3 years is a different story but does Dunks want to wait around for that? Doesn’t seem like it.

Treloar and Stephenson in for cheap and Dunks out for huge overs would be smart list management IMO. Would leave the team in 2021 better than it is now + give us a heap more ammo in the bank to keep targeting mature players this year or next year. We’ve got the cap space to accomodate Treloar/Stephensons overpaid contracts meaning we might be able to get them at bargain trade prices.

Very rough but something like Dunks out for 2x top 10 picks. On trade one of them to pies for Treloar/Stephenson, probably even get something back in that trade if rumours are true and they’re going cheap. Leaves us with picks 6&12 to either shake out another A grader in a position of need. Use pick 6 & next years first to move up the order for another pick ahead of JUH or worst case scenario push that pick 6 to next years draft and reassess then.

Pretty handy haul
That's a good idea all of that

Adam Treloar is known for having anxiety and depression, and Collingwood recognise that there's a risk he won't be able to cope with his partner and child living interstate next year. It's not some conspiracy, it's just business.

Maybe so, but to be honest it shows there‘s some s*** humans at that club.

From an outside perspective, it’s a disgusting look when their President and Coach seem to be always making a big deal about caring so much for their people.

I'd love to know if Sam Power would have selected Sam Power if he was our list manager in 2001. Can someone itk get this question out to him please

In my head I choose to believe that he would've traded down and taken Steve Johnson + Sam Mitchell

Ummmm why it’s true

Edmonds talk to treloar very very close
He wouldn’t make that up and have Eddie after him trust me.

Buckley also didn’t deny it ....

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

There is absolutely zero chance a senior coach would ring a contracted player they may be stuck with and tell him he isnt wanted and at the same time throw the entire leadership group under the bus.

it didn’t happen

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Treloar would be the second highest paid player at our club, even after subtracting Collingwood's contribution to his salary (which wouldn't last longer than the first year or two). He'd be on more money than Macrae despite being an inferior player and despite Macrae's lifelong loyalty to the club. Imagine the message that sends. A contract that size would undoubtedly end up pushing out at least one of our young guns. All for a player whose kicking is pretty sub-par. I think some people on here get a bit infatuated over anyone with a bit of pace and some of the blood leaves their brain to engorge other organs.

There is absolutely zero chance a senior coach would ring a contracted player they may be stuck, with And tell him he isnt wanted and at the same time throwing the entire leadership group under the bus.

it didn’t happen

Sam has tapped all senior coach mobile phones - he knows Bevo has spoken to Dunks and now knows Bucks phone call with treloar 🤣🤣

Treloar would be the second highest paid player at our club, even after subtracting Collingwood's contribution to his salary (which wouldn't last longer than the first year or two). He'd be on more money than Macrae despite being an inferior player and despite Macrae's lifelong loyalty to the club. Imagine the message that sends. A contract that size would undoubtedly end up pushing out at least one of our young guns. All for a player whose kicking is pretty sub-par. I think some people on here get a bit infatuated over anyone with a bit of pace and some of the blood leaves their brain to engorge other organs.

What? I didn’t understand you because of my hard-on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I get your point. I agree with it. But we basically did that with Tom Boyd and it worked out ok.

I'd think it's a combination of having just picked up Bruce (and I'm confident his output will improve next year), as well as Brown probably not suiting our playstyle particularly well. I wouldn't mind him for the exact role you mentioned, but I guess the hope is that Bruce would fill that role next year?

We would absolutely have the cap space, as despite picking up Keath and Bruce last year, we have had a number of older players extend their contracts onto lesser money, as well as the recent retirement of Dickson (and Trengove's free agency contract coming to an end). I think it was that Carlton ITK C4 who estimated we'd have the 2nd most cap space in the league, which wouldn't surprise me as I'd expect we're probably in the top 5 thanks to how young our side is, and because so many of our players signed longer term deals prior to uplifts in form

Interesting...cause if you have the cap space, from my POV Brown would fit you extremely well.

You blokes like to flick the ball around and get the ball moving quickly...Brown is tall, reasonably athletic and likes to mark on the lead. Having Brown leading up and Naughton sitting deep for the long ball would be pretty enticing to your mids. His height is a point of difference as well.

As you said I guess you recruited Bruce for the same position and he does ruck a bit so maybe your list management want to just back him in...but Brown is far more proven having kicked 60+ goals each season from 2017-2019, while spending time support rucking as well...and is seemingly available for unders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back