Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have been told Mason Cox contract could be in the vicinity of 550-600k next year pending number of games played because of more pies back ended dealings.

I surely hope we’re not biting on that.

That would only be for a year though. You imagine we already have space available and with Dunkley and others going we should have plenty of space.

Not the type of deal to handicap us in the future.

FWIW Ned Guy just said Collingwood looking to put a longer term deal to Cox. Stephenson seems on the table for the right price.

Personally I hate the way we've used Dunkley this year but it's not a huge difference from how we've used him before. 2019 he played the first 6 games forward after ending 2018 as a midfielder, 2020 he played the last 10 games forward after starting the year as a midfielder. And he's had stints in the ruck since his first year with us. Obviously it was originally third man up but there were heaps of times in 2017 and 18 where we only played one ruck and had Dunkley chip in. And remember the Melbourne game late 2019 where he got a ruck free (leading to 'that's ruck craft big boy')? One of a dozen times he was used as a ruck just last year. He's been Mr. Fix-it for ages.

List of events:
- Wheels in motion - Essendon have spoken with Dunkley.
- Lucrative money offer of up to $800k a year.
- Essendon have dangled Kyle in front of Josh.
- Dunkley has told team mates and coach he wants out.
- Dunkley is upset about having to play ruck
- Money Offer of $700k a year
- Dunkley upset about midfield minutes
- Dunkley has not informed anyone of a trade request.
- Dunkley upset with culture issues
- Money Offer now actually $600k a year but it isn’t about the money.
- Culture issues now squashed.
- Josh 1000% wants to get to essendon
- Josh has days where he wants to stay a bulldog.

With 2 years on his contract Doggies have all the power...Essendon would need to give up a lot.

I'm sure if held to his contract, Dunkley will be professional and play well next season unless he has massive issues with the club, which I doubt.
In recent times guys like Gibbs/Kelly/Wines/Papley/Daniher were all held to their contracts...it's becoming far more common. Gibbs & Kelly played well the following year before getting traded for a large sum (giving their clubs time to arrange replacements and come up with a plan), Wines & Papley actually ended up staying (well all reports are they will not request a trade this trade period) and only the Daniher situation is one where the club lost out by holding onto him but he had only 1 more year on his contract and became a FA.

Worth holding onto unless Essendon pay a big amount.

That would only be for a year though. You imagine we already have space available and with Dunkley and others going we should have plenty of space.

Not the type of deal to handicap us in the future.

FWIW Ned Guy just said Collingwood looking to put a longer term deal to Cox. Stephenson seems on the table for the right price.
I didn’t hear the interview with Ned but assuming they’re just trying to stretch that money out a little more. It’s horrendous even for one year tbh.

I didn’t hear the interview with Ned but assuming they’re just trying to stretch that money out a little more. It’s horrendous even for one year tbh.

Look the moneys not great. Obviously more than his worth.

But it's only one year. Its no worse than current senior players we have hardly playing and being on 450k.

Look the moneys not great. Obviously more than his worth.

But it's only one year. Its no worse than current senior players we have hardly playing and being on 450k.
We’re not in the cap position the pies are, though. That’s what makes it so so bad. I just don’t see how they didn’t foresee all of this happening. Something went seriously wrong there.

We should be into Tom McDonald to plonk at full back. Moves Keath to 2nd tall.

I wouldn’t mind Cox if the price is right and puts some heat on Bruce to perform.

Team looks infinitely better with McDonald in defence and English being able to take a breather up forward.

With 2 years on his contract Doggies have all the power...Essendon would need to give up a lot.

I'm sure if held to his contract, Dunkley will be professional and play well next season unless he has massive issues with the club, which I doubt.
In recent times guys like Gibbs/Kelly/Wines/Papley/Daniher were all held to their contracts...it's becoming far more common. Gibbs & Kelly played well the following year before getting traded for a large sum (giving their clubs time to arrange replacements and come up with a plan), Wines & Papley actually ended up staying (well all reports are they will not request a trade this trade period) and only the Daniher situation is one where the club lost out by holding onto him but he had only 1 more year on his contract and became a FA.

Worth holding onto unless Essendon pay a big amount.
I have heard from someone with contacts at Essendon that Dogs are not answering any calls from Dons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or is the media making everything up?
Look it’s hardly surprising that across all clubs there were hub issues

Imagine as an example you were a Brad Lynch and late in the season you realised all that was left for you was some crappy scratch matches where you could possibly be playing with players not even in your club. I reckon the motivation would have been challenging for all the fringe players in the absence of the VFL comp

Much like our coaching acquisitions, feels like we’re starting to recruit the same. Brought in Gowers from Footscray. Bringing Hannan in because of Footscray. Looking at Fort because of Footscray. Yuck.

Who’s next? Ben Long to complete the set?

"It leaves Quinton Narkle, Ben Jarvis, Jake Tarca and Darcy Fort – who also has interest from the Western Bulldogs – in limbo."

Mitch Clearly confirming our interest on Fort. Not sure where that would leave Sweet..
But isn’t Geelong the great club that never does wrong? Can someone get Wells and Cook to comment?

I’ll say it again.

Beveridge using dunkley the way he did has opened the door to all of this.

Whether Dunkley was actually pissed about it or not (and honestly, who seriously believes that he wasn’t at least a little pissed about it) it gave the perception that he may be gettable. And she snowballed from there......

Onya Bevo.
I will say it again if this is true show Dunkley the door immediately. If he wants his midfield position back then earn it.

One way to guarantee a s**t club is to have players dictate where they play

Missing my point Norm. I’m saying the Bombers came with the dollars on the back of dunkley being used the way he was.

They sensed an opportunity that wasn’t there 12 months ago.
I don't get this thinking.

Don't know if Hinkley was exaggerating, but they've made a play for Wines every year for the last 6 years - it's not because he was asked to play ruck.

Players are abandoning them left right and centre, so they've got $800k-$900k spare in the cap for a great mid.

They'd have a list of all the great young mids in the comp who fit the bill, with an idea of their salaries.

They'd know that Dunkley is on around $500k - they'd already know that he would be one of the best options in the league based on talent, but also that he might be especially gettable due to their offer being a massive pay rise - money is typically the only reason someone would leave a finals team on the up for some a non-finals team having multiple players walk out.

Are you saying that with all those factors in play where he is clearly a great option for Essendon, they would *never* have asked the question of him if it wasn't for him playing ruck?

Have to say, IMO this idea that had he not rucked 20(?) boundary throw ins during the season would mean he'd somehow escape their radar and they would never have put this offer to him seems... unlikely.

Darcy Fort our big white hope to help out English in the ruck fu** me dead
If you know of available good ruckman then enlighten us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back