Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our defenders not being able to stop one on one contests is true. It is also true for the majority of defenders who are left one on one. Every team uses some form of team defence that can be exploited if breakdowns occur.

If Aaron Naughton kicks 5 against Geelong it doesn’t suddenly mean the Cats defenders can’t stop anyone one on one.
This is true. But I think we can do better than Cordy and Gardner.

If we could clone Alex Keath I would have four of him in defence. One to play on the opposition’s gorilla, one on their 2nd tall who is invariably going to manhandle Cordy and one on the usually more athletic medium forward.

That would still leave me with one spare clone to do my washing and general odd-jobs around the house.

This is true. But I think we can do better than Cordy and Gardner.

If we could clone Alex Keath I would have four of him in defence. One to play on the opposition’s gorilla, one on their 2nd tall who is invariably going to manhandle Cordy and one on the usually more athletic medium forward.

That would still leave me with one spare clone to do my washing and general odd-jobs around the house.
Keath has been a saviour, he was recruited as an intercept defender ala Jake Lever and has turned into a genuine KPD.

Ladhams yes, not sure about Lynch. He has played less career games then Jordon Sweet and seems to be getting a tonne of buzz from the one game he broke even with Max Gawn earlier in the year.
Lynch - More to do with his VFL form and his running capacity for his size (top 5 in the Collingwood time trial).

Point is it’s a very small sample size. Sweet was looking pretty promising up until the Gawn game too. Remember when he got those coaches votes and we started thinking our ruck issue was solved
Should not write off Sweet. Has all the attributes of a good ruck. Give him time. He will be beating up on young ruckmen in a few years time and it will be the turn of their supporters to whine about their ruck stocks. It goes in cycles.

Should not write off Sweet. Has all the attributes of a good ruck. Give him time. He will be beating up on young ruckmen in a few years time and it will be the turn of their supporters to whine about their ruck stocks. It goes in cycles.
I hope so. I’m all for keeping him on the list and giving him more time, but I do think we need to recruit someone for now as well

Hypothetical i know, but how many of the 6 games that the Bombers have lost this year by under 3 goals could have been reversed if they'd traded for Dunks?

I think part of the reason that they didn't pull the trigger last year was because they had pretty limited expectations on what they could achieve and didn't want to do what Collingwood have potentially done this season and give away a draft pick in the top 5.

If they'd won half of those 6 games the pick this year they would have given up is 12, if they'd won all 6 it's pick 16.

Do they complete the deal if they knew it would be the 3rd of their top picks last year (10 - Reid) and pick 10 - 16 this year? I think they do.

*and yes i know there's other variables at play such as the development of Parish, etc.

Hypothetical i know, but how many of the 6 games that the Bombers have lost this year by under 3 goals could have been reversed if they'd traded for Dunks?

I think part of the reason that they didn't pull the trigger last year was because they had pretty limited expectations on what they could achieve and didn't want to do what Collingwood have potentially done this season and give away a draft pick in the top 5.

If they'd won half of those 6 games the pick this year they would have given up is 12, if they'd won all 6 it's pick 16.

Do they complete the deal if they knew it would be the 3rd of their top picks last year (10 - Reid) and pick 10 - 16 this year? I think they do.

*and yes i know there's other variables at play such as the development of Parish, etc.

I think they should have done it last year and traded their later first round picks and retained their future pick. So picks roughly 8 & 10….

But I am so glad they didn’t.

I think they should have done it last year and traded their later first round picks and retained their future pick. So picks roughly 8 & 10….

But I am so glad they didn’t.

Same...i was so disappointed in Dunks wanting to go (especially to them). But in a way I think Dunks raising a few of his concerns has actually made Bevo take a good hard look at things and has made us a more accountable footy club. Not to mention the relationship with Adz. I'm glad the whole thing unfolded as it did.

Does Dunks still get injured? He'd theoretically have been there for the Round 1 (Hawks) and Round 4 (Sydney) losses but otherwise every other game he'd have missed from injury, or they lost by too much. Would put them in 7th place as the ladder currently stands, with a tough finish to the season. As you said though, there's other variables like Parish. Dunks in would've meant they kept a borderline useless Parish up forward, which undoes a lot of the benefit they get from Dunks. Impossible to say how much of a difference it would've made. I think it was for the best for everyone in hindsight - they have some very promising young players getting opportunity, they have Parish turning into an A-grader, and we have a player who is vital for our flag chances.

Does Dunks still get injured? He'd theoretically have been there for the Round 1 (Hawks) and Round 4 (Sydney) losses but otherwise every other game he'd have missed from injury, or they lost by too much. Would put them in 7th place as the ladder currently stands, with a tough finish to the season. As you said though, there's other variables like Parish. Dunks in would've meant they kept a borderline useless Parish up forward, which undoes a lot of the benefit they get from Dunks. Impossible to say how much of a difference it would've made. I think it was for the best for everyone in hindsight - they have some very promising young players getting opportunity, they have Parish turning into an A-grader, and we have a player who is vital for our flag chances.
Let's assume that he doesn't get injured and Parish develops as he has which means Langford is pushed out and Stringer stays permanent forward. How many of those games do they win?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In that case, probably minimum of 2, but 5-6 is viable
5-6 wins and a potential top 4 berth vs two first rounders...it's a tough one.

Given Dunks' age, leadership and professionalism he was always a safer bet than someone like Tim Kelly who netted picks 14, 18, 24 and 37. If i was in the Bombers shoes I definitely would've made the trade.

5-6 wins and a potential top 4 berth vs two first rounders...it's a tough one.

Given Dunks' age, leadership and professionalism he was always a safer bet than someone like Tim Kelly who netted picks 14, 18, 24 and 37. If i was in the Bombers shoes I definitely would've made the trade.
I mean, I would too, especially given they've missed his type ever since Watson retired. At the same time, I think they're in a pretty good position having not completed the trade. I also don't think Power would actually have accepted a 2020 1st + 2021 1st, I honestly think he was just posturing to stop the trade happening.

Rather than anyone on that list, I would be keener on Van Der Heuvel or Glass-McCasker from Footscray.

VDH has looked good at times with Footscray and would surely benefit as a full time in an AFL system.

Glass-McCasker did have time at Carlton, but not many seem to develop there. He has shown great versatility at Footscray, forward, back and ruck.
Have to agree, add these two to list or on rookie list if we can, and give them full time development for two years. Like the look of both, VDH caught my eye, but as you say Glass-McCasker has shown to be very versatile.

From a Fox Footy article on the Clarkson news:

"Captain Ben McEvoy, who remains a staunch supporter of Clarkson and didn’t like the fact the club was getting rid of the coaching great, is understood to have voiced his angst to senior officials in recent weeks.

He, along with senior teammates, simply did not see the partnership between Clarkson and Mitchell working. Players told their managers the situation was going to get messy."

I know we asked about him last year. Maybe the stars align this year?

Be a few clubs asking about Ben McEvoy Us,Geelong, maybe his old club saints

Jordan Lewis thinks that Hawthorn will be accommodating to players looking to leave this year.

McEvoy and Breust would be insane.

From a Fox Footy article on the Clarkson news:

"Captain Ben McEvoy, who remains a staunch supporter of Clarkson and didn’t like the fact the club was getting rid of the coaching great, is understood to have voiced his angst to senior officials in recent weeks.

He, along with senior teammates, simply did not see the partnership between Clarkson and Mitchell working. Players told their managers the situation was going to get messy."

I know we asked about him last year. Maybe the stars align this year?
Don’t they like Mitchell? Don’t blame them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back